Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #64

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the virus can enter through the eyes and goggles are a good idea. However, remember that masks don't prevent your getting infected, but are worn to keep you from infecting others. So if people are not wearing masks and you are, the virus can get you anyway, so the goggles won't protect you. Wearing your mask will keep you from infecting others if you have the virus. Since plenty of people have this virus without having symptoms, it is always good to wear a mask. You will not be shedding the virus to others from your eyeballs, so even if you can get the virus that way, you will not infect others that way if you do have the virus. So, while wearing masks should be mandatory, the goggles should be optional. MOO

Edited to add: Don't cry on anyone's shoulder, though.
It depends on a mask. N95 is going to protect you. So it's not true that all masks aren't going to protect you.

Weird, I would have never guessed that. If true, it looks like there won’t be an uptick in cases for outdoor rallies and 4th of July celebrations.

This would be true if bars and restaurants weren't open (which they are, where I live). So we expect an uptick from Fourth of July, even with beaches closed and fireworks picnic canceled. People will pack indoor spaces. My county is asking restaurants to close at 10 pm, but I doubt that has any serious impact.

Bars remained closed here (we have just 3 in the whole city) but restaurants serving alcohol can be open. People are supposed to work out, on their own, whether a place is too crowded or unsafe. Employees are supposed to wear masks, but friends tell me it's less than 50% who are doing so.

So we will celebrate indoors this year and with a sharp rise in CV cases already in place, the next month should bring us to a whole new level of CoVid. Nationwide, but especially in California.

It depends on a mask. N95 is going to protect you. So it's not true that all masks aren't going to protect you.

And in fact, even surgical masks give about 70% protection. Cloth masks depend on construction, but they protect the wearer as well. The research on this is extensive.

And N95's do provide good protection to the wearer, not sure where people are getting this new story about masks only protecting others. They do both. That's why ICU's are able to function right now (masks and face shields).

This would be true if bars and restaurants weren't open (which they are, where I live). So we expect an uptick from Fourth of July, even with beaches closed and fireworks picnic canceled. People will pack indoor spaces. My county is asking restaurants to close at 10 pm, but I doubt that has any serious impact.

Bars remained closed here (we have just 3 in the whole city) but restaurants serving alcohol can be open. People are supposed to work out, on their own, whether a place is too crowded or unsafe. Employees are supposed to wear masks, but friends tell me it's less than 50% who are doing so.

So we will celebrate indoors this year and with a sharp rise in CV cases already in place, the next month should bring us to a whole new level of CoVid. Nationwide, but especially in California.

Scary times.

We'll be celebrating at home. Shooting off fireworks over our private 40+ acre pond/lake.

Happy 4th of July to all!!!!

I can't see any President going on TV to say that there is an unproven vaccine/treatment available, that might end up being shown to be completely ineffective or perhaps dangerous days/weeks later. Oh, wait.......

That's not how it will be presented. Of course it will be "tested" but it won't have time to go through all the phases of testing. The one guy who has had a fever, twice, after being vaccinated - he's part of a "test." Is there longterm health consequence to a vaccine that produces symptoms? We won't know by November. But a good vaccine will not cause fever and other symptoms...it's entirely possible to get a neutralized virus vaccine to work - I believe the Oxford vaccine is one of those.

And in fact, even surgical masks give about 70% protection. Cloth masks depend on construction, but they protect the wearer as well. The research on this is extensive.

And N95's do provide good protection to the wearer, not sure where people are getting this new story about masks only protecting others. They do both. That's why ICU's are able to function right now (masks and face shields).
I've seen a lot of claims that cloth masks only protect others (from talking heads and so on). Cloth mask likely protect others much better than the wearer. But they still provide some protection for the wearer, especially if well constructed.
N95s will certainly protect the wearer. CDC only recommends cloth masks because there is a shortage of N95s.

When you search (top right) it gives the option to search a particular thread or the whole forum. I did the whole forum and it brought up about 10 posts, not all Covid related, some were in other threads. It did actually come up on the corona threads back in February, but only as a long list of medicines, nothing specific.
They weren't all mine were they?
:-)

Done :)

6166ff53-76b3-411f-bec5-cba53271484b-smallScale_Mt.RushmorecoronavirusbyScottTaylor.jpg

PHOTO GALLERY: Utahns react to coronavirus pandemic
Now we want the words
"Remove at your risk"
One word on each mask.

That's not how it will be presented. Of course it will be "tested" but it won't have time to go through all the phases of testing. The one guy who has had a fever, twice, after being vaccinated - he's part of a "test." Is there longterm health consequence to a vaccine that produces symptoms? We won't know by November. But a good vaccine will not cause fever and other symptoms...it's entirely possible to get a neutralized virus vaccine to work - I believe the Oxford vaccine is one of those.
Oxford vaccine is not a neutralized virus vaccine. It's an old school vaccine that uses adenovirus and a gene coding for a spike protein. I would actually be comfortable with an old school technology, since it has been tried and true for other diseases. But I don't know if US will end up getting any of the vaccine.
"ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, now known as AZD1222, was developed by Oxford University’s Jenner Institute, working with the Oxford Vaccine Group. It uses a replication-deficient chimpanzee viral vector based on a weakened version of a common cold (adenovirus) virus that causes infections in chimpanzees and contains the genetic material of SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. After vaccination, the surface spike protein is produced, priming the immune system to attack COVID-19 if it later infects the body."
AstraZeneca to supply Europe with up to 400 million doses of Oxford University’s vaccine at no profit

You'll like this @tresir2012 , lots of juicy stats to get your chops around!

NHS Providers

This is what I mentioned about red areas. They are Covid areas.

• groups. Huge change programme needed across the NHS.
  • ITV news: 50% felt discrimination played a part in BAME NHS staff deaths – reports that white colleagues are being sent to green wards and BAME staff being sent to *red words. Is there a structural problem in the NHS with racism? Systemic issues. BAME staff encouraged to speak freely. Difference of staffing mix across the country. Reality that NHS has always relied on a diverse workforce and must be a better employer.
(* that should read "red wards")
  • 17th March letter – why did the letter not say patients going into care homes should be tested? Necessity to ensure hospitals could deal with the challenges, advice from SAGE was that up to 2m people may need hospitalisation therefore huge effort to free up beds. Only 2.8% of discharged patients went to a care home (significantly lower than last year). Guidance was changed in April. Testing capacity was constrained at the time.
This is a new dashboard they have created.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK

(Not actually working yet though so parking here for the future)

Still reviewing.......

Last edited:

Our restaurants (ON) recently opened to outside patio seating only. I don't see how inside seating can possibly be safe, especially if the numbers of people allowed inside is so random. You could be just starting into your meal when you sense that the place is too populated for your comfort. And how is the average person to know when it's too crowded? They can't calculate the square footage, or understand how many air exchanges per hour the ventilation system can handle, or see what goes on in the kitchen, or predict how many more people will be seated in the next half hour.

Yes, you are right. But you also have to know how to wear it correctly. I don't know anyone right now, other than health care workers, who has one. And then there are also scam imitation masks on the market that may be of little use. Also, those who do have the N95 need to know how to disinfect it, or have plenty on hand to discard or rotate. But they would be a good idea if we had the education to use them correctly and the resources to provide them to everyone. MOO

US buys up almost entire world supply of coronavirus drug

US buys up almost entire world supply of coronavirus drug

12 hrs ago
The US has bought up almost the entire global supply of one of two drugs used to treat coronavirus.

Remdesivir, which was developed to treat Ebola, is produced almost exclusively by US pharmaceutical giant Gilead Sciences - and it has been priced at $2,340 (£1,892) per patient in wealthier nations.

The company has agreed to send nearly all of its supply of the drug to the US over the next three months.
This means remdesivir will not be available for use on patients in the UK and Europe until October, Dr Andrew Hill, a senior visiting research fellow at Liverpool University, told Sky News.
He said: "This deal that's been struck by America means that people with COVID-19 in the UK can't get access to these treatments that would get them out of hospital quickly and might improve their chances of survival.

Yes, you are also right. There is some protection from any covering of the face. I was not specific enough, but lots of people think the masks are protecting them more than they actually are. Social distancing seems more effective, IMO.

Yes, you are also right. There is some protection from any covering of the face. I was not specific enough, but lots of people think the masks are protecting them more than they actually are. Social distancing seems more effective, IMO.

Indian groom's wedding, funeral leave over 100 infected with coronavirus
AAAkOaU.img

Indian groom's wedding, funeral leave over 100 infected with coronavirus

AFP
5 hrs ago
More than 100 people have tested positive for coronavirus in India after attending the wedding -- and then funeral -- of the groom, who reportedly tied the knot while ill with the disease.

Officials in Bihar state said Wednesday the 26-year-old groom had symptoms of the deadly virus when he got married on June 15.

He died two days later.

"So far 111 people who either attended the wedding or the funeral have tested positive," said Raj Kishor Chaudhary, chief medical officer in Patna, the state capital.

"All others have been identified and isolated."

Coronavirus cases in California continue to skyrocket, reaching 9,740 in a single day —by far the highest recorded in the state since the beginning of the pandemic, according to data from the California Public Health Department.

Today’s case report smashed the previous high of 7,149 set one week ago today.

The total number of cases in California is roughly 232,657.

Coronavirus pandemic: The latest updates from around the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members