NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 #15

she's a bit of an enigma.

Yep. Which honestly isn't that surprising for a late teens/early twenties individual (especially one that lived on a college campus). A lot of times they may not consider the people they are hanging around to be all that close to them so they don't want to say that much or they know they aren't making the best decisions and they don't want to be judged for it so they don't say much. Unless she was one of those people that just locked herself up in her room all day long there are a lot of people that were part of her life that we simply don't know about.

I read through all of threads 12-15 in the last week. The first eleven didn’t work. Considering all that was going on in her personal life and the circumstances, I personally think she was depressed and afraid and ran into the wood and succumbed to the cold. I don’t know how far down the road she ran it may have been a ways from the accident but I think she eventually died somewhere in the woods. They really need to search many more miles of woods. Sadly I don’t believe she is alive living under the radar somewhere else although I wish it were true. I also don’t think she was abducted although that is possible but given the condition of the weather and being on that back road it just doesn’t seem likely. It could be possible she hitched a ride but I don’t suspect that after she turned down Atwood’s help and lied about calling AAA. I don’t think she planned to commit suicide either given all she brought and that she locked her car probably eventually planning to return to it. I don’t think her boyfriend was involved either because he was away on the military base in Oklahoma, however he doesn’t sounds so great and they may have had relationship problems that she was trying to escape.

<modsnip: Sleuthing someone who is not officially named by LE to be a POI or suspect in this case>

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we know that Maura didn't have a real upstanding group of friends (after all look at what her bf turned out to be) so things like that are definitely possible. There is a lot we don't really know about her personal life. Quite honestly even her family might not know a whole lot about her personal life.

Where are you getting this from? Everything I've seen suggests Maura's friends went on to lead successful lives. Having a scummy boyfriend doesn't mean she ran with a bad crowd.

Where are you getting this from? Everything I've seen suggests Maura's friends went on to lead successful lives. Having a scummy boyfriend doesn't mean she ran with a bad crowd.
Her friends seemed like a supportive group of people. Viewing the documentaries, you can tell they were impacted by Maura's presences. Her and Kate were close and I can't imagine how painful it must have been for her to find that Maura disappeared. Her relationship with Bill is only based on what we were told. They had plans on getting married, her sisters weren't fond of him, and their were times of conflict from Kathleen's story on Oxygen. Maura's only conflict was with herself.

Several law enforcement agencies including the F.B.I. and Massachusetts and New Hampshire police are currently conducting an excavation in Methuen. Sources say they are looking for evidence and possibly a body. This is day 2 of the search. @WMUR9 via @RayBrewerWMUR

https://twitter.com/wmur9/status/1280845966527074304?s=21

Nothing to indicate this is related to Maura but the agenices working together are note-worthy...

You know watching videos like this it is no wonder how Maura disappeared the way she did. Not only are there tons of dangerous areas where she could have fallen off the side but the road leads to a whole nother highway/paved road in which she could have gotten away and no one would have a clue where to look if she got hurt. Looks like this video was uploaded about three years ago.

Last edited:
Spooky and dark.....imo

Yep. Even if you don't believe Maura would have run off in that direction the fact that there are places like that right around the crash site really makes it believable that she could have vanished without any foul play being involved. Infact her running off on a road like that and disappearing really seems more plausible than some killer picking her up in a timespan of mere minutes.

Yep. Even if you don't believe Maura would have run off in that direction the fact that there are places like that right around the crash site really makes it believable that she could have vanished without any foul play being involved. Infact her running off on a road like that and disappearing really seems more plausible than some killer picking her up in a timespan of mere minutes.

I totally agree with that.

I too agree with that. The thought of being out there in the dark is not a pleasant one. I was thinking she wouldn’t have ran towards the darkness, but then again, If she didn’t want to be seen...she wouldn’t run towards light.

And the crazy thing is is I'm not even sure they even ever searched along that road. There has been a whole lot of talk about them covering the area around the car but I have never heard anything about that old country road/lane.

I kind of wonder if the family even knows that that lane is there and that it goes all the way to another paved road.

Here is a small website where the people that made the video talk about the experience. I found it because it was linked in the comment section of the video.

Old Peters Road: Redux

Last edited:
I have read through the threads here and just finished watching a documentary about her disappearance and I feel like she was struggling mentally with her life in general. School was stressful with the pressures either from her father or herself with her own expectations to be near perfect all the time add to that her competitave nature with her sister and the troubles with her boyfriend she could have felt like she was in over her head with no one to turn to that would understand. I can easily see how all of those stressors would cause depression to set in and lead to her need to just get away for a few days. She could have started drinking in the car and made a wrong turn to end up where she did. As for where she went after the accident I feel like it's very possible that she could have walked off into the woods and got lost. I don't think anyone had time to grab her from right there and get her into their vehicle and drive off there were too many witnesses.

So new theory from me. Maura left her car and originally went to the spot that the dogs stopped at (which would have been right across the street from the bus drivers house). She then noticed the light in the area from the houses and not wanting to get caught she backtracked the other direction and went down that old path by the barn. She either made it all the way through and managed to get out of the area or she fell off one of the sides of that road.

I say they should probably search the areas around that path.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed. Reddit is NOT an approved source at Websleuths>

I live in NH and know the area, it is remote, vast and rough terrain and people rarely go off the road hiking it. I am not in the least bit surprised nothing has been found and do believe she died from the elements especially if she had alcohol in her system. She did not want to be found due to her leaving the scene likely in fear of a DUI and may well have gone into the woods when she saw oncoming traffic and when hypothermia sets in many people seem to wander into the woods and perish. Also if memory serves me they used air scent dogs days later instead of ground scent dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53