Found Deceased CA - Naya Rivera, "Glee Actress", missing from boat with son, 4, (fnd alive), Lake Piru, 9 July 2020

Something about this doesn't add up for me. I understand how an accidental drowning can occur anywhere, we live near a deceptively difficult river and there are kayaking and swimming accidents all the time. But would you take a 4 year old out alone on a motor boat into a 130 ft deep lake? With a group or even a friend, sure, but by yourself? How was he going to the bathroom? Even with a life jacket on I don't know I'd go swimming in the middle of a deep and difficult to see lake with a toddler.

The article posted above said her purse was found in her car. Was her phone in the car or on the boat? Did she have a day bag on the boat with her son's various things he'd need for the day? I think that will say a lot. I hope she was ok, and I'm relieved her son was found unharmed.

Nature of Incident: Search for Missing Woman Transitions to Recovery Operation
Report Number: 20-93521
Date & Time: July 8, 2020 @ 4:00 pm
Unit(s) Responsible: Ventura County Search & Rescue Dive Team, Ventura County Aviation Unit, Sheriff’s Major Crimes Bureau, Lake Piru Rangers, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Tulare County Sheriff’s Office, San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office, United States Coast Guard
(S)uspects, (V)ictims, (P)arty, (D)ecedent
City of Residence

(V) Naya Rivera Los Angeles
Narrative:
The search for a missing Los Angeles actress at Lake Piru has turned into a recovery mission as of Thursday morning.

Naya Rivera rented a boat at the lake Wednesday afternoon and went for an excursion with her four-year-old son. The boat was found drifting in the northern portion of the lake with the child alone and asleep onboard. Rivera’s son told investigators that he and his mother had been swimming in the lake, and he got back in the boat, but Rivera did not.

Approximately 50 sheriff’s personnel, along with a helicopter, boat crews, divers, and unmanned aerial vehicles searched the lake for five hours Wednesday evening, but Rivera could not be found. The entire shoreline and surface of the lake were thoroughly searched. Divers also searched under water in the area where the boat had last been seen. However, there was no sign of Rivera. The search was suspended at 10:00 pm Wednesday night due to zero visibility in the water and dangerous conditions for the divers.

The search resumed Thursday morning with divers experiencing less than one foot of visibility in the water in daylight. The difficult conditions have made the recovery operation a very slow process. The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is assisting in the search with divers and sonar equipment. Approximately 100 personnel are participating in the mission on Thursday, including resources from neighboring counties and the United States Coast Guard.

Investigators believe Rivera drowned in what appears to be a tragic accident.

Prepared by: Captain Eric Buschow
News Release Date: July 9, 2020
Media Follow-Up Contact: Captain Eric Buschow (805)947-8129
eric.buschow@ventura.org
Approved by:

Booking Photo Release: Captain Garo Kuredjian

YES NO

Something about this doesn't add up for me. I understand how an accidental drowning can occur anywhere, we live near a deceptively difficult river and there are kayaking and swimming accidents all the time. But would you take a 4 year old out alone on a motor boat into a 130 ft deep lake? With a group or even a friend, sure, but by yourself? How was he going to the bathroom? Even with a life jacket on I don't know I'd go swimming in the middle of a deep and difficult to see lake with a toddler.

The article posted above said her purse was found in her car. Was her phone in the car or on the boat? Did she have a day bag on the boat with her son's various things he'd need for the day? I think that will say a lot. I hope she was ok, and I'm relieved her son was found unharmed.

in an earlier link it said she did have a second bag and food on the boat.

Nature of Incident: Search for Missing Woman Transitions to Recovery Operation
Report Number: 20-93521
Date & Time: July 8, 2020 @ 4:00 pm
Unit(s) Responsible: Ventura County Search & Rescue Dive Team, Ventura County Aviation Unit, Sheriff’s Major Crimes Bureau, Lake Piru Rangers, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Tulare County Sheriff’s Office, San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office, United States Coast Guard
(S)uspects, (V)ictims, (P)arty, (D)ecedent
City of Residence

(V) Naya Rivera Los Angeles
Narrative:
The search for a missing Los Angeles actress at Lake Piru has turned into a recovery mission as of Thursday morning.

Naya Rivera rented a boat at the lake Wednesday afternoon and went for an excursion with her four-year-old son. The boat was found drifting in the northern portion of the lake with the child alone and asleep onboard. Rivera’s son told investigators that he and his mother had been swimming in the lake, and he got back in the boat, but Rivera did not.

Approximately 50 sheriff’s personnel, along with a helicopter, boat crews, divers, and unmanned aerial vehicles searched the lake for five hours Wednesday evening, but Rivera could not be found. The entire shoreline and surface of the lake were thoroughly searched. Divers also searched under water in the area where the boat had last been seen. However, there was no sign of Rivera. The search was suspended at 10:00 pm Wednesday night due to zero visibility in the water and dangerous conditions for the divers.

The search resumed Thursday morning with divers experiencing less than one foot of visibility in the water in daylight. The difficult conditions have made the recovery operation a very slow process. The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is assisting in the search with divers and sonar equipment. Approximately 100 personnel are participating in the mission on Thursday, including resources from neighboring counties and the United States Coast Guard.

Investigators believe Rivera drowned in what appears to be a tragic accident.

Prepared by: Captain Eric Buschow
News Release Date: July 9, 2020
Media Follow-Up Contact: Captain Eric Buschow (805)947-8129
eric.buschow@ventura.org
Approved by:

Booking Photo Release: Captain Garo Kuredjian

YES NO

BBM. This doesn't make sense to me. Here is a picture of the boats you rent on this lake. A 4 year old climbed up out of the water back into this boat while his mom was still in the water? It looks like you have to pull yourself almost a foot out of the water onto the boat where the "gate" is at the end.
Lake-Piru-Family-In-Boat.jpg

Lake Piru Recreation Area (Link for image)

Jeremy Childs
@Jeremy_Childs
·
1h

Replying to
@Jeremy_Childs
The boat was a 3-hour rental. The 911 call was made after the boat did not return after three hours.

Here's a map for reference
EchEnCrU4AAZd9s

BBM. This doesn't make sense to me. Here is a picture of the boats you rent on this lake. A 4 year old climbed up out of the water back into this boat while his mom was still in the water? It looks like you have to pull yourself almost a foot out of the water onto the boat where the "gate" is at the end.
View attachment 255049

Agree. This isn't adding up

Amateur opinion and speculation

“Boat was unanchored and was found out on the water. The boat was found in the northern half of the lake, so the search is primarily focusing there. Here's a map for reference”

View attachment 255048

https://twitter.com/jeremy_childs/status/1281349675228921856?s=21

BBM again. Another weird thing! Would you get out of the boat with your 4 year old with the boat unanchored? There isn't another person there to make sure the boat doesn't drift away. None of this seems like something you do alone with a toddler.

View attachment 255049

she could have boosted him up. also i have rented one on another lake and there is a ladder you stick down.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back