Found Deceased CA - Naya Rivera, "Glee Actress", missing from boat with son, 4, (fnd alive), Lake Piru, 9 July 2020

Is anyone familiar with the boat rental rules? Are they allowed to use the anchor?
I’ve rented boats before at a different lake and wasn’t allowed to use the anchor because so many people had got them caught up on things and had to leave them.

If this is the case, hoping in for a swim in breezy conditions could have been a huge problem.

I grew up on a lake in WA state that is 50 miles long and 1500 ft deep, super clear water.
As a single mom, there has been plenty of times that I’ve taken my son on a boat and on a Jetski alone. And we’ve jumped in and swam! Apparently, only couples can boat?? Or I have to wait until a friend or grandparent can go?? No, it’s fine for a single parent to take their child alone on a lake.

Agreed! As long as they Mommy and child have life vests on ;).

Is anyone familiar with the boat rental rules? Are they allowed to use the anchor?
I’ve rented boats before at a different lake and wasn’t allowed to use the anchor because so many people had got them caught up on things and had to leave them.

If this is the case, hoping in for a swim in breezy conditions could have been a huge problem.
A no anchor rule would actually make a lot of sense at Lake Piru since there are many trees and a great deal of debris (according to the search teams) on the bottom of the lake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought that I had, amateur speculation only. Open water swimming is much different than pool swimming. I did mini-triathlons back in the day. I prepped by swimming 1-2 miles every few days in the pool, I would call myself a strong swimmer at that time. When I would do the triathlon with the open water swims, they completely wore me out. Cold water, have to get your head up to sight where you are going, the big lakes are completely different than pools or small lakes. I swam with a group of people which helped keep me on track. If she thought she would swim a few “laps” for exercise because she was used to swimming in a pool, I could see the situation getting away from her. Especially if it was windy. That pontoon would move much faster over the water not anchored and swimming through chop is hard, slows you way down. IMOO.

Last edited:
Naya Rivera search: Photo helps in search for missing 'Glee' actress, official says

I know someone else posted an article about the photo that was sent to a family member, but I'm having trouble finding it so I've posted another article for reference...I think it may be telling that in this article they were able to use the timestamp of the photo sent to a relative, but no article has ever said if her phone was recovered from the boat...I keep thinking that it may be possible that she dropped her phone in the water and jumped in after it without thinking--I could absolutely see myself doing something similar before I realized that it could be a bad idea to jump in without a life jacket on...JMO

Naya Rivera search: Photo helps in search for missing 'Glee' actress, official says

I know someone else posted an article about the photo that was sent to a family member, but I'm having trouble finding it so I've posted another article for reference...I think it may be telling that in this article they were able to use the timestamp of the photo sent to a relative, but no article has ever said if her phone was recovered from the boat...I keep thinking that it may be possible that she dropped her phone in the water and jumped in after it without thinking--I could absolutely see myself doing something similar before I realized that it could be a bad idea to jump in without a life jacket on...JMO

I could have swore I read somewhere that her phone was in her car but that wouldn't make sense bc she took the picture of Josey near the cove.

This theory makes a lot of sense.

Ventura Co. Sheriff @VENTURASHERIFF3m
H appening now: A body has been found at Lake Piru this morning. The recovery is in progress. A news conference will take place at 2 pm at the lake.

2pm Pacific/ 3pm Mountain/4pm Central/ 5pm Eastern

Ventura Co. Sheriff @VENTURASHERIFF3m
H appening now: A body has been found at Lake Piru this morning. The recovery is in progress. A news conference will take place at 2 pm at the lake.

2pm Pacific/ 3pm Mountain/4pm Central/ 5pm Eastern

I can't believe it, I'm so sad for all her family and friends. And if this is sadly her, for it to be on today of all days.

I KNEW IT! I KNEW SHE WAS GOING TO BE FOUND TODAY 7 YEARS TO THE DAY CORY DIED.

You guys I had this feeling in my gut from the day she went missing they would find her on Cory Monteith's death anniversary. For those that do not know Cory and Naya were really good friends on Glee. She was crushed when Cory died.

It sounds like a moot point now, but has anyone mentioned using her cellphone to track her movements on the lake? My guess is that simple pings would not be precise enough to be useful, so she would have had to have her gps enabled.

Anyway. So sad. RIP.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back