Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found everything I wanted (and a few extra things, sigh) at our closest Walmart early this morning. However, I did see some big gaps on shelves that did not matter to me, and I did take the last of an item on a shelf. There were so few people in the store that I never got closer than 12 feet to anyone but the greeter and one woman in the crafts aisle. Everyone I saw was wearing a mask properly. I checked myself out.

I get irrationally angry too. For some reason, seeing someone wearing a mask covering their mouth but not their nose bothers me more than seeing one unused around their neck.

My own mother does that. I'm like mom you have masks that fit, why are you wearing the one that sags down?

My mom: I like it better. *94 year old smirk*

This is why you go no where young lady.

Parents.

Pre-school teachers here have not had higher cases either, as far as I can tell. Many have stayed open. No outbreaks reported that I know of.

We're seeing cases in summer camps (mostly the stay-over, sleep-in-a-cabin type). At age 12, the symptoms in kids here are more significant and all of our deaths, as far as I know are in the over 13 group. We don't know how teachers will fare. Classroom sizes here in California, if not lowered by policy, can be 35 kids in a fairly small space (sometimes without windows, just a door that opens).

Community transmission seems the most likely vector for most teachers in the data we have (not transmission from kids). High school teachers are more likely to get CoVid than are primary grade teachers (and middle schools are in the middle). It appears that teaching 17-18 year olds is less safe and that more of the teenagers get the illness.

Our nation is less healthy than Sweden, sadly. Lots more obesity and diabetes, high blood pressure meds are in use in kids as young as their teens. The data are actually pretty awful:

High Blood Pressure in Kids and Teens | cdc.gov.

We also don't know yet whether those with hypertension are more susceptible to CoVid and its symptoms to begin with. We may be about to find out, given that some states and counties seem determined to have school as usual. But there is evidence that hypertension seems to make CoVid worse, when a person gets it.

I'm guessing that hypertension and diabetes are much less common in the teen population of Sweden.
No, I don't think it's as common with hypertension among children in Sweden as in the US. For diabetes, there are about 800 children diagnosed with diabetes every year, about twice as many as it was in the 1980ies. But insulin and all test materials needed are free of charge for diabetics, and for other medicines on recipes from doctors, a patient doesn't pay more than 2,300 SEK/year (about $230), so people don't have to worry about not being able to pay for their health care and medicines.

A good day. I actually found Lysol wipes (small) at the grocery store. There were 6 cans. For a moment I thought about taking them all, but I took 3. Haven't seen them since mid-March anywhere.

I am so envious. At least now I have enough hand sanitizer on hand that we can carry it in the car so I don't have to use wipes in the car. However, my stash of wipes is running a bit low despite using them for just doorknobs and bathroom fixtures.

I'm fine, just getting a bit more easily tired doing things than before the virus, and losing more hair than I used to when brushing it, hopefully that will stop soon. I've done an antibody test at work, and have antibodies now, and I hope to be able to get a new one in September/October, to see how long the test stays positive.
Hurrah for your antibodies!

I share your fatigue. Tonight I have the humidifier going as well because I feel kind of "sinussy" again. We'll get there ;)

'Excess' deaths raise concerns about pandemic’s death toll in Florida

“We’re undercounting the COVID-19 related deaths,” said Dr. Thomas Tsai, a surgeon and health policy researcher at Harvard University.

Tsai said the true costs of the pandemic can best be described by something called excess mortality. In the health world, excess mortality is the number of deaths above and beyond what is predicted during any given time period in normal conditions.

A look at the past six months in Florida shows why health experts are increasingly concerned about death toll numbers here. Between January to June 30, Florida reported 8,671 excess deaths, that’s more than double the 3,650 deaths the state attributed to COVID-19.

Dr. Troy Quast is a health researcher at the University of South Florida. He said the increase in the excess mortality rate during this time is a sign the state may be underplaying the virus and its death toll on Florida.

“It does leave you thinking there might be more investigation needed,” he said.

Dr. Tsai agreed and warns with the state’s surge in cases, Florida’s death rate will go up while its window to control it is quickly closing.

“This is not the time for half measures. This is a time for focused action to truly flatten the curve on the pandemic in Florida. We don’t want to see the pandemic show itself in the fatality numbers, that’s too little too late.” he said.

My own mother does that. I'm like mom you have masks that fit, why are you wearing the one that sags down?

My mom: I like it better. *94 year old smirk*

This is why you go no where young lady.

Parents.
I saw a video today of a 77 year old having a tantrum sitting on the floor. I will have to find it again and post it. It was mask related. She had it on one ear.

Last edited:
I wish you could kick this bugger ASAP! It's been quite a haul for you. Sending you healing thoughts for a very speedy recovery.
Thanks Bravo but I'm ok, honest. I just pop things in here in case it's of interest to our scientists and fellow recoverees. If I wasnt working from home I think it would be quite challenging thats all :)

That's interesting about the antibodies. I find taking calcium and Vitamin D (I buy it in Lidl) helps with hair and nails regrowth. I have long hair and lose a lot when brushing each day just normally.
I do take extra D-vitamin, calcium, and zinc, but at the moment I loose about twice or three times as much hair as I normally do. Hopefully, it will grow back again soon. (I don't have any problems with nail growth, rather the opposite, as too long nails are a problem for me when typing.)

You know what’s wild? I used to say here, “what’s it going to take for some people to wake up? When we become the next Wuhan? Overwhelmed hospitals and bodies piled up? Well, here we are and some people STILL haven’t woken up. Maybe they never will.

Wow, PPE data, etc. too...

Well, reports or not, infinite medical workers have told us what their staffing and PPE situation is. And I anticipate they will continue to do so.

There have GOT to be limits with people. I'm guessing for many of them it's going to be when they or theirs get sick enough to hurt or die and probably not before then. Some of the most vocal about it all being a hoax, that I know personally, all live in states with very little cases around them.

If Hospitals do not have enough PPE (deplorable) how are Teachers going to have access :mad:

I'm struggling to find any kind of wipes - and so are all my colleagues. We're not going back into the classroom until January, but there are things we still have to take care of in the real world. I've managed to find the same chemical composition as the Lysol wipes on Amazon (can't recall the chemical now) and I was thrilled. I'm all set. On that one thing.

The mask thing, well, I wouldn't go in without an N95 respirator, of which the college once had many (for nursing and related programs) but we donated all of them to hospitals - who still need more!

I read the post above about the 3 cans of Lysol wipes with vicarious delight.

I do take extra D-vitamin, calcium, and zinc, but at the moment I loose about twice or three times as much hair as I normally do. Hopefully, it will grow back again soon. (I don't have any problems with nail growth, rather the opposite, as too long nails are a problem for me when typing.)

Same. My daughter is having same issues and she's taking copper and selenium. which it turns out are important for immunity (really small doses - it's on Amazon).

We have a little good news this morning. Contact tracers in Sydney have tracked down Case Zero. This is the Victoria person who took the virus to Sydney. Now there is some hope of containment and suppression of the virus outbreak there.

The person is a transport worker who was travelling through Sydney. In his stop at the pub he was the cause of infection in 34 people.

(No link ... watching morning TV news)

In other news, Victoria police have checked over 85,000 cars who have left Melbourne for other parts of Victoria for 'essential' reasons. Over 500 fines have been issued to people and businesses who have been caught doing the wrong thing. The Victorian Premier is now considering an even tighter lockdown. Things are not yet improving there.

wow...you guys mean business. is this case zero, from the new spike? or the very beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan