Why Investigators Came To Different Conclusions

Reaction score
When it comes to the Ramsey case obviously the public is divided into different camps and factions as it relates to guilt over the murder but have you ever asked yourself why the actual investigators on the case came to radically different conclusions about what happened the night JonBenet died?

Steve Thomas- Believed Patsy Ramsey did it over bed wetting.
Linda Arndt- Believed John Ramsey did it.
Lou Smit- Believed an intruder did it.
James Kolar- Believed Burke Ramsey did it over stolen pineapple.

Why are the official law enforcement personnel assigned to the case, who have access to all of the evidence, continuously coming to different conclusions?

Lou Smit had personal reasons to sympathize with the Ramseys. Patsy Ramsey was a cancer victim. When Smit became involved in the case his wife had recently been diagnosed with cancer. Smit also spoke on more than one occasion of the Ramseys’ religious faith, and said repeatedly that God had guided him onto the case. He met privately with the Ramseys and invited them into his camper van to pray with him “that someday this nightmare will end and we will find the killer of our daughter.” John Ramsey said many times in interviews that he believed Lou Smit had been sent by God, and I am sure John Ramsey made a point of saying that to Lou Smit. Police chief Mark Beckner said, “Lou was a nice man and very religious. I believe he became emotionally involved with the family and in my opinion this clouded his judgement to the point where he could not accept the possibility that the family was involved.”

James Kolar reviewed evidence in 2005 while working briefly for the Boulder DA. He self-published his book in 2012. By that time Burke was the only one left to blame. I mean, unless he wanted to say the family dog did it or that alien spacemen laser beamed their way into the house.

Linda Arndt and Steve Thomas both believed child abuse spun out of control that night and that the perpetrator was a parent. Arndt believed John committed the homicide and that Patsy participated in the coverup while Steve Thomas believed Patsy acted alone to kill JonBenet and that John slept the night.

When it comes to the Ramsey case obviously the public is divided into different camps and factions as it relates to guilt over the murder but have you ever asked yourself why the actual investigators on the case came to radically different conclusions about what happened the night JonBenet died?

Why are the official law enforcement personnel assigned to the case, who have access to all of the evidence, continuously coming to different conclusions?

Global Justice Ops,
They do not all have access to all the evidence, most of it is via paper reports, some by appointment only, and some nobody but CSI officers has ever laid eyes on.

If the case is BDI then they all cannot shout "BDI" due to Colorado Child Statutes. So they can cherry pick the evidence to suit their favorite theory, which is what has happened.

To avoid litigation both by the Ramsey's and Colorado State Prosecutors anyone but Burke Ramsey can be named as JonBenet's killer, officially at least.

Hence all the theories.

Lou Smit was paid by the DA’s office to find intruder evidence since they could not implicate a minor.

The idea that the DA's office knew it was Burke but couldn't say so publicly comes up a lot. I'm not sure where the prosecutor's office would've come up with the idea it was Burke since law enforcement officials who were actually investigating the case didn't think Burke had anything to do with it.

Lou Smit had personal reasons to sympathize with the Ramseys. Patsy Ramsey was a cancer victim. When Smit became involved in the case his wife had recently been diagnosed with cancer. Smit also spoke on more than one occasion of the Ramseys’ religious faith, and said repeatedly that God had guided him onto the case. He met privately with the Ramseys and invited them into his camper van to pray with him “that someday this nightmare will end and we will find the killer of our daughter.” John Ramsey said many times in interviews that he believed Lou Smit had been sent by God, and I am sure John Ramsey made a point of saying that to Lou Smit. Police chief Mark Beckner said, “Lou was a nice man and very religious. I believe he became emotionally involved with the family and in my opinion this clouded his judgement to the point where he could not accept the possibility that the family was involved.”

James Kolar reviewed evidence in 2005 while working briefly for the Boulder DA. He self-published his book in 2012. By that time Burke was the only one left to blame. I mean, unless he wanted to say the family dog did it or that alien spacemen laser beamed their way into the house.

Linda Arndt and Steve Thomas both believed child abuse spun out of control that night and that the perpetrator was a parent. Arndt believed John committed the homicide and that Patsy participated in the coverup while Steve Thomas believed Patsy acted alone to kill JonBenet and that John slept the night.

According to Steve Thomas, Arndt was identified by Patsy and her lawyer as someone who might be susceptible to Patsy's charms. Her lawyer allowed a couple of private meetings between Arndt and Patsy. (Arndt refused to share the contents of one of them with her fellow officers.) Patsy and John (but probably Patsy's lawyer in reality) sent Arndt a bouquet of flowers on one occasion.

It's interesting that Arndt concluded that John did it and Patsy was a victim.

Last edited:
According to Steve Thomas, Arndt was identified by Patsy and her lawyer as someone who might be susceptible to Patsy's charms. Her lawyer allowed a couple of private meetings between Arndt and Patsy. (Arndt refused to share the contents of one of them with her fellow officers.) Patsy and John (but probably Patsy's lawyer in reality) sent Arndt a bouquet of flowers on one occasion.

It's interesting that Arndt concluded that John did it and Patsy was a victim.

fr brown,
If the case is JDI then all of John's postmortem mistakes, inlcuding the size-12's, tales about a broken window, the suitcase, etc. need to be adequately explained, never mind why Patsy would agree to playact for someone who just killed her daughter?

fr brown,
If the case is JDI then all of John's postmortem mistakes, inlcuding the size-12's, tales about a broken window, the suitcase, etc. need to be adequately explained, never mind why Patsy would agree to playact for someone who just killed her daughter?

UKGuy,
Wouldn’t count VI and VII for JR explain your statement?
The only scenario I see PR agreeing to play act here is if she had caught JR molesting JB and she hit JB over the head by accident; meaning to hit JR. But I don’t see how that would explain the triangular bruise found on her throat. What we need to ask ourselves is what was the motive for killing JB?

JB was in her bed during the staging process at some point in time because fibers from the brown paper bag (found containing rope; located underneath JAR’s bed) was found in JB bed as well as on her shirt and body bag. Of course an intruder would know where to find that?

UKGuy,
Wouldn’t count VI and VII for JR explain your statement?
The only scenario I see PR agreeing to play act here is if she had caught JR molesting JB and she hit JB over the head by accident; meaning to hit JR. But I don’t see how that would explain the triangular bruise found on her throat. What we need to ask ourselves is what was the motive for killing JB?

JB was in her bed during the staging process at some point in time because fibers from the brown paper bag (found containing rope; located underneath JAR’s bed) was found in JB bed as well as on her shirt and body bag. Of course an intruder would know where to find that?

Rain on my Parade,
It turns out the fibers from the brown paper bag are a red herring as they represent CSI forensic cross-transfer, from memory same bag used twice?

Lots and lots of ink spilt over this topic.

PR whacking JonBenet is feasible but all her subsequent staging is inconsistent with Patsy being the perp, but no doubt she was shielding someone.

Out of the blue in this interview while going over the bedroom photos, Patsy exclaims:
Patsy Interview 1998 BPD Excerpt
5 THOMAS HANEY: There is something
6 hanging, is that a pink clothing item?
7 PATSY RAMSEY: I think that's a
8 little (INAUDIBLE).
9 THOMAS HANEY: Are there items at
10 the foot of the bed?
11 PATSY RAMSEY: (INAUDIBLE
12 RESPONSE.)
[snip]
12 TRIP DEMUTH: Let me ask you about this in
13 125.
14 PATSY RAMSEY: That is the (inaudible).
15 TRIP DEMUTH: Is that unusual to be hanging
16 over the door?
17 PATSY RAMSEY: Yeah. Usually they are kind
18 of tucked back.
19 TRIP DEMUTH: Five and four.
20 PATSY RAMSEY: Yeah.
21 TOM HANEY: That is the material that pulls
22 the drapery, it pulls it back.
23 PATSY RAMSEY: Right. I don't see any blood
24 or anything, do you?
[snip]
7 TRIP DEMUTH: Looking at picture 145.
8 PATSY RAMSEY: Okay. What is this pink --
9 what is that?

A less traveled forensic path is the bloodstain on JonBenet's pillow.
Patsy Interview 1998 BPD Excerpt

16 TOM HANEY: That is 73, 74, 75, and 76 now.
17 PATSY RAMSEY: (Inaudible).
18 TOM HANEY: That I couldn't tell you right at
19 this moment. Do you remember any staining on that
20 pillow the night you put her to bed?
21 PATSY RAMSEY: No. It was dark in there, you
22 know.

1 PATSY RAMSEY: Downstairs. She didn't come
2 Wednesday because it was Christmas. She was going to
3 come Friday after we had gone, and I left her a check
4 because she (inaudible) cried she wanted money.
5 TOM HANEY: But if she comes Monday,
6 Wednesday and Friday, and obviously doesn't come
7 because of Christmas on Wednesday, we have the sheets
8 on at a minimum, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, so three
9 days.
10 PATSY RAMSEY: Probably.
11 TOM HANEY: The maximum number going back.
12 PATSY RAMSEY: Maybe the next Friday.
13 TOM HANEY: Or last Wednesday.
14 PATSY RAMSEY: Right.
15 TRIP DEMUTH: Did JonBenet ever have nose
16 bleeds at night?
17 PATSY RAMSEY: Not that I remember.
18 Sometimes she might pick her nose, maybe cause it to
19 bleed, but she wouldn't have one of those, you know,
20 dry, you know, to hold her head back kind of thing.
21 TOM HANEY: How are we doing?
22 PATSY RAMSEY: I don't know about you, but I
23 am exhausted.
24 TRIP DEMUTH: Can we go off the tape?
25 (Whereupon, a break was taken and an off the record
[snip]
12 TOM HANEY: Do you recall if she
13 wet the bed on Christmas Eve, to Christmas
14 morning?
15 PATSY RAMSEY: No, no, she did
16 not.
17 TOM HANEY: How about going back
18 from then, from Christmas morning, do you recall
19 when the last time she was wet? Because we
20 talked yesterday about the changing of the
21 linen, the sheets, and we couldn't really pin
22 that down.
23 PATSY RAMSEY: Right.
24 TOM HANEY: Okay. But if there
25 were several stains on there and we figured it
1 was around, if the maximum a week since the
2 linen was changed, would that indicate to you
3 wetting more than once, or--
4 PATSY RAMSEY: Well, that was
5 (INAUDIBLE).

So the bloodstain does one of two things it puts the pillow with JonBenet or JonBenet with the pillow, let me explain:

There are some early photos of the kitchen and breakfast bar floating about, where you can see a pillow on one of the tables, remember this is downstairs in the kitchen area. In later photos the pillow disappears.

So the question is : was the pillow in the kitchen area the same one lying at the bottom of her bed?

If not then bang, you can pinpoint JonBenet and bloodstain to her bedroom.

With Patsy remarking about there being no blood to be seen, you just know Patsy is aware JonBenet had been bleeding in her bedroom?

<snip>
The only scenario I see PR agreeing to play act here is if she had caught JR molesting JB and she hit JB over the head by accident; meaning to hit JR. <snip>

Perhaps, but I think it's possible that JonBenet may have said or done something to provoke her mother into hitting her.

It turns out the fibers from the brown paper bag are a red herring as they represent CSI forensic cross-transfer, from memory same bag used twice?

Lots and lots of ink spilt over this topic.

UKGuy,
Thank you for this piece of information!

The pillow of which you speak can be seen here:
A Disturbing Never-Before-Seen Police Video of the JonBenet Ramsey's Murder Scene | True Crime Magazine

I don’t believe this pillow is the same one as on JB bed. That was a beauty and the beast pillowcase and looked to be urine stained; although it could just be print.
It is interesting that PR brings up blood on the tie backs behind her bed. Odd indeed! Why else would she bring up blood had she not known JB had been bleeding? Also, in the above video you can see something on the JB bedroom floor (top, left side of bed). It is also beauty and the beast. I wonder what that item is exactly?

Last edited:
Perhaps, but I think it's possible that JonBenet may have said or done something to provoke her mother into hitting her.

icedtea4me,
Perhaps. IMO what came first was the twisting of the collar, then the head bash, and then the strangulation. I don’t know when she was actually molested.

UKGuy,
Thank you for this piece of information!

The pillow of which you speak can be seen here:
A Disturbing Never-Before-Seen Police Video of the JonBenet Ramsey's Murder Scene | True Crime Magazine

I don’t believe this pillow is the same one as on JB bed. That was a beauty and the beast pillowcase and looked to be urine stained; although it could just be print.
It is interesting that PR brings up blood on the tie backs behind her bed. Odd indeed! Why else would she bring up blood had she not known JB had been bleeding? Also, in the above video you can see something on the JB bedroom floor (top, left side of bed). It is also beauty and the beast. I wonder what that item is exactly?

Rain on my Parade,
The pillow was on a table in the Kitchen area and definitely did not look like it had a beauty and the beast pillowcase.

Meaning the one in her bedroom complete with bloodstain suggests JonBenet's head or body was on that pillow, suggesting something took place in her bedroom, surprise, surprise.

Which bedroom could the Kitchen pillow have come from?

Might be Patsy was given a hint where the questioning might be going prior to being interviewed, saying she cannot see any blood is almost incriminating given she is then asked about nosebleeds, etc.

IMO JonBenet was redressed in her bedroom and possibly whacked on the head there, resulting in the blood on the pillow, along with other items, that Patsy cleaned and removed, hence she thinks there are no bloodstains in the room.

Since her Pink Barbie Nightgown is stained with her blood, this suggests she may have been wearing it in her bedroom, hence why it was dumped in the wine-cellar?

Or possible a fall against a toilet/bathtub/cabinet/hard object

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back