IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

I was surprised Dustin Honken didn't say anything about this. Do you have more than one suspect in mind?

Do we know -- for a fact -- that DH didn't say anything at all, especially in these last few weeks? (Could he have revealed something to an attorney that *we* might come to know , or would that be entirely attorney-client privilege? Not sure if info revealed by someone on death-row, and pertaining to a major unsolved case, would be revealed.)

Although JV really does seem to be an obvious suspect, somehow cannot help but think that he would not leave any of Jodi's items behind. He would want to possess it all. speculation, imo.

CBS New

That is creepy but possibly very true. Would she be the ultimate possession? Do you think abducting her required two people? JV was noticed by neighbors outside her apartment. I wonder if anyone mentioned it to her. To grab her while getting into her car, possible lose her for a second a second person would make the get away easier. Would JV have worked with someone else? That shoe always gets me.

She’s definitely not telling the truth and the timeline of events just doesn’t add up. The grand jury knew it and obviously the police knew it. John met his friend AS...that made an appearance on the Oxygen show...at the gas station at 7:00 AM claiming that Jodi was gone. The welfare check for Jodi wasn’t placed until 7:13 AM. Now throw the phone call that was placed by John to the station that Kuns talked about on the show and things get really interesting given the time she said it took place.
Wisdom, can you explain what you mean with last sentence above?

If JV is involved, how do we explain the early morning walk with his friend? Is she covering for him? If I recall the timeline is fairly tight between the abduction and the morning walk with the friend.

If I recall, the timeline is tight, but not so tight that he couldn't have done it. jmo
In purely hypothetical scenario having JV as perp, it is not inconceivable that body was not disposed of until later that day or that night (under cover of darkness) or even next day. After all, JV was not on the clock and did not have an office job, so no co-workers to wonder, 'hey, where were you all afternoon' etc.

Last edited:
page-31

Frustrating - the detective with MCPD says 'I think we're very close' but also that as to resolution of case 'it's not fast'.

I'd be curious to hear what he has to say about the apparent wounds visible on one of JV's hands in video made by media around 11 days after Jodi disappeared.
jv1995-1-png.162270

Jodi was apparently subjected to a violent abduction. As such, any potential suspect showing wounds would be a big deal. Did cops notice those apparent wounds when they interviewed JV in the days after Jodi disappeared? Did they ask him about the wounds? Did JV gal friend who is interviewed in the linked 48 Hours piece and with whom he went for a walk that morn just 2 hours after Jodi was abducted notice any hand wounds? Did Jodi's sister notice any wounds when she sat down with JV at a diner? Did Ani Kruse, who was with JV in his boat when the video showing the apparent hand wounds was recorded, notice any wounds? Of course, any seeming wounds could certainly be attributable to any number of things completely unrelated to the case. Just wondering if MCPD noted it at the time. If asked, would their response be the usual, 25 years running 'no comment'?

RBBM

I wondered about those wounds as well. To me, the thumb injury looks like a blood blister, and the finger wound looks blood trapped underneath the surface of the fingernail.

I wonder if JV got his fingers smashed in a door, or by something heavy coming down on them.

If he tried to abduct Jodi, and she was just getting into her car, could she have slammed the door on JV's hand(s)?

Food for thought.

JMVHO.

JMVHO.

Although JV really does seem to be an obvious suspect, somehow cannot help but think that he would not leave any of Jodi's items behind. He would want to possess it all. speculation, imo.

CBS New
Well, there had been a lot of loud screaming going in the parking lot on that early morn for like one minute, as reported by one of Jodi's fellow Key Apts. tenants. Perp, aware of this, would no doubt have been in a hurry to beat it out of there ASAP so as not to get caught red-handed.

Last edited:
Here's a recent interview of Steve Ridge that provides a sense of his perspective as a PI looking into the Huisentruit case:

Well, there had been a lot of loud screaming going in the parking lot on that early morn for like one minute, as reported by one of Jodi's fellow Key Apts. tenants. Perp, aware of this, would no doubt have been in a hurry to beat it out of there ASAP so as not to get caught red-handed.

The Key Apts is a 3 building complex. Jodi was in the southern-most building. This man was in one of the two buildings to the north, just across the parking lot from where Jodi was abducted. He literally witnessed the abduction. Didn't see it. Heard it happen.

Wisdom, can you explain what you mean with last sentence above?
At 7:00 John stated to AS at the gas station that Jodi was gone and didn’t show up for work which was before the welfare check was even placed. Then on the show Amy stated that John called the station at around 7:25 just before she went on air asking to talk to Jodi and acted surprised she wasn’t there. But he already knew she was missing at 7:00.

Missing for 25 years...

Jodi Sue Huisentruit

huisentruit_jodi2.jpg
huisentruit_jodi3.jpg
huisentruit_jodi4.jpg
huisentruit_jodi5.jpg
huisentruit_jodi8.jpg

Huisentruit, circa 1995

• Missing Since 06/27/1995
  • Missing From Mason City, Iowa
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 06/05/1968 (52)
  • Age 27 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3 - 5'4, 110 - 120 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, brown eyes. Huisentruit's ears are pierced. Her last name is pronounced "HOO-sen-troot."
Details of Disappearance

Huisentruit was an anchor/producer for KIMT-TV in Mason City, Iowa in 1995. She was scheduled to report to work at 4:00 a.m. on June 27, 1995. Huisentruit spoke to a co-worker at the station at approximately that time and said that she would be arriving shortly from her home. She has never been seen again.

Huisentruit's co-workers became concerned when she did not contact them by 7:00 a.m. and summoned the authorities. A search was conducted at Huisentruit's residence in Key Apartments in Mason City.

Some of her personal belongings were found scattered in the apartment complex's parking lot around her red Mazda Miata, including a pair of red dress shoes, a blow dryer, a bottle of hair spray, earrings, and Huisentruit's car keys. A co-worker assisted authorities in searching Huisentruit's apartment, which showed no signs of a struggle.

Witnesses near Key Apartments reported hearing a scream from the parking lot shortly after 4:00 a.m. Investigators believe that Huisentruit was taken against her will by person(s) unknown from the lot that morning. There has been no sign of her since that time.

Authorties have followed numerous leads regarding Huisentruit's case throughout the years, but nothing to date has resulted in any evidence as to her whereabouts. She was declared legally deceased in May 2001. Her case remains open and unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Mason City Police Department
  • 515-421-3636
  • Federal Bureau of Investigation
  • Washington, D.C. Office
  • 641-324-3000
Source Information

So, summing up the latest... Another “anniversary” has come & gone- still no arrest. Dustin Honken has been executed, with no final clues- that have been released. And John V. has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, so who knows if he’ll even remember his guilt- if he had anything to do with Jodi’s disappearance at all. I’m not optimistic this crime will ever be solved. Unless they can try touch DNA after all these years on her keys, or shoes, etc. With no body, no video, no witness ID. I hope I’m wrong!

The Find Jodi team actually tracked down her Mazda Miata!

Podcast 006: We tracked down Jodi's Mazda Miata • Find Jodi Huisentruit

No forensic value anymore but their podcasts have been very good so I can't wait to listen to this one.
Thanks for link. Remarkable that they found the Miata! Great work! Interesting analysis, but a lot of unanswered questions. My understanding is that the seller of the car was an Osage businessman, but his name was not brought up in podcast. Has the identity of the seller of the Miata still not been established? Presumably the moonlighting salesman who brokered the transaction arranged for a purchase/sale agreement to document the transaction (would have been very unusual for a significant transaction to not have been papered in some way) and if so did Jodi's copy of that agreement wind up with Jodi's mother? Would be curious to know source of the $10k or so presumably paid for the car. Did Jodi have that much cash on hand after sale of her old car? Did she trade in her old car? Did she take out a bank loan? If not, did a private party - such as the seller or a friend - lend Jodi the money? Check Jodi's old bank records - did a lump sum move out in 6/1995, or is there instead a copy of a 6/95 bank loan agreement? If she hadn't the cash, and I'd bet she didn't, where did the cash come from? If the cash came from a private third party, that could be interesting... And was the transaction 'arm's length' i.e. at market value, or was it sold below market value as a 'favor'? Did police find in Jodi's possession the seller's vehicle title, with the part the seller is to have filled out executed, showing sales price? Jodi would have needed this to take to the courthouse to get new title in her name as new owner of the vehicle.

Huge long-shot but is it conceivable that Jodi's disappearance had to do with the transaction, to do with $$$ a 'follow the money' type deal? Such as, irate (dumped?) seller was waiting there right next to the car there to collect promised money due (past due?) him and get his plates back, things went south, lost temper, ....... Supposedly, a name sounding like 'John' was screamed around the time of the confrontation next to the Miata.

Last edited:
Thanks for link. Remarkable that they found the Miata! Great work! Interesting analysis, but a lot of unanswered questions. My understanding is that the seller of the car was an Osage businessman, but his name was not brought up in podcast. Has the identity of the seller of the Miata still not been established? Presumably the moonlighting salesman who brokered the transaction arranged for a purchase/sale agreement to document the transaction (would have been very unusual for a significant transaction to not have been papered in some way) and if so did Jodi's copy of that agreement wind up with Jodi's mother? Would be curious to know source of the $10k or so presumably paid for the car. Did Jodi have that much cash on hand after sale of her old car? Did she trade in her old car? Did she take out a bank loan? If not, did a private party - such as the seller or a friend - lend Jodi the money? Check Jodi's old bank records - did a lump sum move out in 6/1995, or is there instead a copy of a 6/95 bank loan agreement? If she hadn't the cash, and I'd bet she didn't, where did the cash come from? If the cash came from a private third party, that could be interesting... And was the transaction 'arm's length' i.e. at market value, or was it sold below market value as a 'favor'? Did police find in Jodi's possession the seller's vehicle title, with the part the seller is to have filled out executed, showing sales price? Jodi would have needed this to take to the courthouse to get new title in her name as new owner of the vehicle.

Huge long-shot but is it conceivable that Jodi's disappearance had to do with the transaction, to do with $$$ a 'follow the money' type deal? Such as, irate (dumped?) seller was waiting there right next to the car there to collect promised money due (past due?) him and get his plates back, things went south, lost temper, ....... Supposedly, a name sounding like 'John' was screamed around the time of the confrontation next to the Miata.
And I find it odd that Jodi had not, in the 3 weeks between her purchase of the vehicle and her disappearance, gotten to the courthouse and gotten title transferred and returned to the seller his license plates. I think that normally a buyer is eager to get that done and to get those new license plates and get them on the new vehicle. Normally one might feel a bit uncomfortable driving around with someone else's license plates like she was. And normally a seller would certainly be uncomfortable with a stranger driving around using his old license plates. She had weekday afternoons off to get down to the courthouse... What was she waiting on? Did she have the title transfer doc, or was the seller holding it until purchase price was paid in full? Might that be why she hadn't gotten title transferred? Was she trying to scrounge up cash?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark
Back