GUILTY UK - Police Officer Andrew Harper killed by burglars, Berkshire, 15 August 2019

PC Harper: Widow Lissie says she is 'immensely disappointed' at verdict

The widow of PC Andrew Harper has said she feels "immensely disappointed" after three teenagers were found guilty of manslaughter for killing her husband.

Lissie Harper, who had only been married for a month when he died, said she felt "utterly shocked and distraught" after the verdicts at the Old Bailey.

She told media outside the court: "Standing here before all of you, I honestly thought I would be addressing you after a very different verdict."

Mrs Harper described her husband's killing as "brutal and senseless", adding that the family "had hopes that justice would come in some way for Andrew".

Does anyone know how long they could potentially get? I really hope it will be a long sentence as it was so senseless. I feel for Lissie - it is truly devastating.

The maximum sentence for manslaughter is life. I doubt they’d all get that. Unfortunately the driver plead guilty to manslaughter so that will have to be taken into account.

I just watched the footage of the incident that was released and it broke my heart hearing his colleague saying he’d lost him. I hope that officer got a lot of support afterwards.

PC Andrew Harper's widow asks PM for retrial after husband's killers cleared of murder

PC Andrew Harper's widow has written to the prime minister to ask for a retrial after his killers were cleared of murder.

Lissie Harper had been married to PC Harper for just a month when he was killed trying to prevent the theft of a quad bike in Berkshire last August.

Henry Long, 19, Jessie Cole and Albert Bowers, both 18, were acquitted of murder by an Old Bailey jury on Friday.

Cole and Bowers were found guilty of manslaughter, while Long had previously admitted the same charge.

Mrs Harper said she was "immensely disappointed" at the verdicts when she spoke outside court.

PC Harper, 28, was dragged for more than a mile along the country lanes of Berkshire when he became entangled in a tow rope attached to the teenagers' getaway car.

In an open letter posted to Facebook, Lissie Harper urged Boris Johnson to "have this miscarriage of justice overturned".

She wrote: "I will keep fighting on behalf of Andrew, the future that was stolen from us and also the victims who find themselves in this unjustly situation in the future.

"After all, who are we if we allow our legal system to fail us?

"What is this country if it does not provide justice for the innocent?

"What does it say to the public and the police officers, old and new if every day they go out and put themselves at risk to detain these criminals just to witness them be treated so exceptionally lightly in the eyes of the law?"

Her husband, she said, was "brutally killed in the most savage and cruel way" by "immoral, barbaric and shameless" men.

I find it sad really, the 3 of them are clearly uneducated and have been brought (dragged!) up to be like they are. The way all the family/friends in the video are.
I can only imagine how hard it must have been for PC Harper's family and friends to see them smirking throughout. Feel they probably just genuinely don't 'get it' though. Sure it would be different the other way round...

I find it sad really, the 3 of them are clearly uneducated and have been brought (dragged!) up to be like they are. The way all the family/friends in the video are.
I can only imagine how hard it must have been for PC Harper's family and friends to see them smirking throughout. Feel they probably just genuinely don't 'get it' though. Sure it would be different the other way round...

Sad? :mad:
They knew exactly what they were doing. Dragging a man to his death. He was flayed alive. His face was ripped off.
Of course they "get it". They just didn't care, and still don't.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back