Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
In NC, GA - the paper product aisle was bare, nothing on either side. Since March.
Just now seeing some Charmin and Scott. Meat was 2 per person for many weeks. But the sell by date is extremely short. Must use by the day after you buy it. And if you do curbside pickup, they don’t give you the best date. Spaghetti sauce of any type or brand just now showing up on the shelves. I can’t find frozen Brussels, Lima’s, onions, carrots or corn. Lots of frozen broccoli though.

The resalers hit Walmart every morning as soon as they open and buy wipes and Lysol spray. Work in teams. They can tell you which stores in the city get it, how to hide it and come back in to buy another round.
You can learn a lot sitting in your car in a Walmart parking lot at 6am.

Wow. Maybe that's why I've not seen Lysol spray since March?

There is anational recall on onions due to salmonella. We had to throw out Kroger onions, go to FDA website for list of brands and stores. They also have pictures of labels.

Every day's a school day, I had NO idea you could catch salmonella from onions!

2020 is making everyone fearful - too much panic; not enough disco

I could not get any onions at all at Aldi - I asked and they said they haven’t had them for the last few weeks ...

Yikes! I'm not sure how I'd survive without onions. We just went to the farmers market today and picked up 20 lbs of vidalia onions as well as some peaches and sweet potatoes to can.

I have green onions in my garden, started some leeks recently and am planning to start onions from seed this winter. They can be planted early in winter here. But I sure can't grow all we need. Onions and garlic are just some of my "must haves".

Stories say the "child" was 16 and the perp was drunk and shoe-less and he looks insane from his mug. Guy should still be locked up forever, but it concerning that some headlines still need to over sensationalize. They must think a sober, middle class denier doing this to a small child makes for better copy.
I’m sure you’re aware, but just to make it clear, the article our poster @SoCalDavidS linked says
The boy’s age was not released by police
and it did say
Copenhaver then walked to a bar area, where staff asked him to sit down because he appeared intoxicated and wasn’t wearing shoes.
‘You now have coronavirus,’ man tells boy at Treasure Island restaurant, police say

Well, sure, if you don't mind if 9 out of 38,000 kids who get CoVid will die. That's about what the rate is.

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/pediatric_report_latest.pdf

Is that what some are being asked to tolerate and accept? Yes, that's apparently the idea in the "back to school right now" states.

Will the kids be alerted as to their danger status if they have any one of a number of pre-existing conditions? I sure hope so.

.02%

2 kids out of every 10,000 or so. 1 in 5000 kids.

And we try to teach them to be safe about all kinds of things that are less deadly. Or maybe we don't do that any more, I may be living in the past.

The school district where I live has a plan, but will it work? Keep in mind that parents can choose complete online and can opt out of the plan.
Plan: This base model will allow each student to attend school in person two days per week, in smaller groups of approximately one half the normal class size, wearing face coverings and social distancing. Students will learn from home on days when they are not in school.
Yikes! I'm not sure how I'd survive without onions. We just went to the farmers market today and picked up 20 lbs of vidalia onions as well as some peaches and sweet potatoes to can.

I have green onions in my garden, started some leeks recently and am planning to start onions from seed this winter. They can be planted early in winter here. But I sure can't grow all we need. Onions and garlic are just some of my "must haves".
Stopped at a bagel bakery today to get a lunch type sandwich. No onions available.

In NC, GA - the paper product aisle was bare, nothing on either side. Since March.
Just now seeing some Charmin and Scott. Meat was 2 per person for many weeks. But the sell by date is extremely short. Must use by the day after you buy it. And if you do curbside pickup, they don’t give you the best date. Spaghetti sauce of any type or brand just now showing up on the shelves. I can’t find frozen Brussels, Lima’s, onions, carrots or corn. Lots of frozen broccoli though.

The resalers hit Walmart every morning as soon as they open and buy wipes and Lysol spray. Work in teams. They can tell you which stores in the city get it, how to hide it and come back in to buy another round.
You can learn a lot sitting in your car in a Walmart parking lot at 6am.

I don't understand why there are continuing shortages in some places, but not in others. I was passing through the paper isle in my local Kroger, when I saw their Soft and Strong store brand on sale; a 30 roll pack for $9.99. That looked like a good deal so I bought a pack, even though I didn't need any. It was decent quality.

I hope that's not hoarding, but some might call it that.

A 47-year-old man is accused of grabbing a child wearing a mask at a restaurant, getting close to his face and telling him: “You now have coronavirus.”

Jason Andrew Copenhaver, of Redington Shores, was arrested on charges of simple battery and disorderly conduct after the incident, according to Treasure Island police.

The incident took place at about 9:30 p.m. Sunday at 10601 Gulf Blvd., which is the address for Ricky T’s.

Copenhaver approached the child, who was at a table wearing a mask, according to arrest reports. The boy’s age was not released by police.

‘You now have coronavirus,’ man tells boy at Treasure Island restaurant, police say
Dear God

I don't understand why there are continuing shortages in some places, but not in others. I was passing through the paper isle in my local Kroger, when I saw their Soft and Strong store brand on sale; a 30 roll pack for $9.99. That looked like a good deal so I bought a pack, even though I didn't need any. It was decent quality.

As I understand it, the way the store purchasing/distribution goes is the purchasing agents watch for levels and stock each chain store accordingly - based on normal average purchases. It being a balance between low and high demand.

So, many stores have normal stock sitting in their back storage with which they fill their shelves. When 'normal' turns to panic buying, their back stock areas quickly become empty ... unless the stores hold shelf restocking back.

Those places that experience over-buying are not equipped to restock their shelves quickly, with the back storage areas now empty.
The manufacturers are not equipped and cannot get enough raw ingredients to respond to sudden hoarding. And if they over-manufacture to respond to hoarding, what happens to the excess once the hoarders have hoarded what they want?
And the farmers sure as heck cannot suddenly grow more tomatoes/corn/peas/beans/whatever.

(ex-purchasing agent here :) )

Last edited:
Ya know......I just don't even know what to say anymore. Looking at these numbers daily in the U.S. is heartbreaking. I worry. For all of you here and my real life U.S. Family. Be safe everyone. That's all I have. For now.

That Kroger soft and strong is my go to brand.

I’ve never tried growing onions or leeks -I do remember my mom planting onion sets in our huge garden and she was a “canner” too !

At least 3 cruise ships are battling coronavirus outbreaks as the industry's return hits a rocky start

At least 3 cruise ships are battling coronavirus outbreaks as the industry's return hits a rocky start

Graham Rapier

3 hrs ago
At least three cruise lines - Norway's Hurtigruten, Germany's AIDA, and Paul Gauguin in the South Pacific - are battling outbreaks within crew ranks or among passengers, according to news reports.

Hurtigruten cruise line in June became the first cruise line to begin sailing again amid the coronavirus pandemic following a three-month pause. By July 17, however, hundreds of passengers had tested positive in an outbreak that eventually hospitalized four crew members. The ship isn't set to sail again until September.

In Germany, 10 crew members on two separate AIDA ships tested positive, USAToday reported. In a press release, the Carnival-owned company said all affected crew members will be quarantined. Both ships are set to sail again this month.

And in Tahiti, a young American woman tested positive aboard the Paul Gauguin ship before it set sail on a seven-day cruise during which she will be quarantined on the ship, according to a spokesperson via USAToday.
The spree of cases as cruise ships begin sailing after a months-long hiatus could be a bad sign for the industry that was largely crippled by the pandemic. With extremely high overhead costs associated with their massive ships, cruise lines are burning through massive amounts of cash as many boats remain empty of paying passengers.

In the US, the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention has banned sailing from US ports through at least September, a further blow to the ailing industry.

The stuff of memes: Australian reporter's hard-hitting Trump interview goes viral

The stuff of memes: Australian reporter's hard-hitting Trump interview goes viral

Farrah Tomazin

44 mins ago
i122bUIM

It had all the withering satire of an ABC sketch featuring comedic duo John Clarke and Bryan Dawe.

The musings of an American president struggling with the facts. The baffled expressions of an Australian journalist refusing to accept the spin. And all the subject matter you'd expect to find in a game of 2020 Nightmare Bingo: Global Pandemic! Sex Trafficking! Civil Uprisings!

Except this wasn't satire at all, but a serious political interview with US President Donald Trump merely 91 days from one of the most consequential elections in US history.

To the credit of Axios reporter Jonathan Swan - a former Sydney Morning Herald scribe and the son of our own coronavirus guru Dr Norman Swan - the 37-minute interview was an eye-opener from the start.
It began with Swan asking about Trump's adherence to "positive thinking", and his tendency to believe something so much in the hope it will become true. In the absence of a clear strategy for COVID-19, which has so far killed more than 156,000 Americans, positive thinking alone simply hasn't cut it.

Trump, however, opted to assert his own version of the truth, insisting that the virus was being contained. At one point, armed with a series of charts, he claimed the US was doing better than the world in "numerous categories" - only to be left exposed when he refused to account for the per-capita death rate, in favour of selected statistics that he couldn't quite explain.
Swan, a respected White House journalist who has a good relationship with the President, managed to go one step further by letting his baffled face do much of the talking. Think Crocodile Dundee: "That's not an interview. THIS is an interview!"

Families claim nursing home hasn’t been honest about what’s going on inside

“Some families who lost loved ones are claiming a Charlotte nursing home hasn’t been open and honest about whats going on inside.

On Tuesday, the state reported that 69 staff and residents at Hunter Woods Nursing and Rehabilitation Center on Tom Hunter Road have tested positive for the virus and six residents have died from it.”

Graham Rapier

3 hrs ago
At least three cruise lines - Norway's Hurtigruten, Germany's AIDA, and Paul Gauguin in the South Pacific - are battling outbreaks within crew ranks or among passengers, according to news reports.

Hurtigruten cruise line in June became the first cruise line to begin sailing again amid the coronavirus pandemic following a three-month pause. By July 17, however, hundreds of passengers had tested positive in an outbreak that eventually hospitalized four crew members. The ship isn't set to sail again until September.

In Germany, 10 crew members on two separate AIDA ships tested positive, USAToday reported. In a press release, the Carnival-owned company said all affected crew members will be quarantined. Both ships are set to sail again this month.

And in Tahiti, a young American woman tested positive aboard the Paul Gauguin ship before it set sail on a seven-day cruise during which she will be quarantined on the ship, according to a spokesperson via USAToday.
The spree of cases as cruise ships begin sailing after a months-long hiatus could be a bad sign for the industry that was largely crippled by the pandemic. With extremely high overhead costs associated with their massive ships, cruise lines are burning through massive amounts of cash as many boats remain empty of paying passengers.

In the US, the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention has banned sailing from US ports through at least September, a further blow to the ailing industry.

Holy moly- who would think that going on a cruise ship is a good idea during a pandemic--- SMH

Rhode Island no longer exempt from Massachusetts’ travel restrictions due to COVID-19 test rate
Travelers from Rhode Island entering the Bay State will have to start quarantining for two weeks starting Friday due to an increasing COVID-19 positive test rate, according to the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
DPH removed Rhode Island from the list of states where travelers are exempt from the new travel order, which took effect Saturday. New York, New Jersey and Connecticut also added Rhode Island to their orders, imposing travel restrictions on their residents.

Also Massachusetts
Amid uptick in coronavirus cases, Gov. Charlie Baker says state may look at reducing gathering sizes, more restrictions on businesses
Gov. Charlie Baker on Tuesday said officials have not ruled out stricter regulations on businesses and reduced gathering sizes amid a slight increase in coronavirus cases in recent weeks.

Coronavirus in Mass.: Cases, maps, charts and resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member