TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to police, Barraza said "good morning" before the unknown suspect pulled out a gun. There was a brief conversation before Barraza was shot four times.

A conversation is not one sided. That would not be called a conversation. I bet LE knows more here and it concerns me that they likely do know more of a convo yet no arrests. What could have been said?

Judging by the way she recoils in apparent fear, I'm confident she saw the gun. Probably the conversation was something like:

EB: Good morning!
Killer: Good morning. <pulls out gun>
EB: <sees gun> Please, please don't shoot!
Killer: Sorry, but I have to do this.
EB: Wait! Please! I'll give you whatever you want.
Killer: Good bye. <shoots>

This is assuming the killer is a sort of unprofessional hitman type, which is looking sort of likely to me at this point.

It's possible she recoiled because she suddenly realized the person who she assumed was a stranger was actually someone she knew - in disguise. That would be extremely disconcerting. Or else maybe this person was a stranger but made a chilling statement that took Liz aback.

If I were the dad, since the $20k reward (which is a lot of money obviously) isn’t working, I’d want to bring that up to $25k or $30k to see if anyone would come forward with an increased reward.

From what I heard, they didn't want to keep increasing the reward at first because they were afraid people would withhold information until the reward got larger. I think enough time has passed and agree with you on increasing it.

I can’t see a reward helping, but jmo, just from being around WS for ten years, and following crime for longer. I can’t really come up with murder cases solved by a reward, and there have been some huge ones, $250k and more. And there are many unsolved cases where it is assumed by many that more than one person was involved, or that someone must know, i.e...Anyway I just can’t see that as a factor.

I can’t see a reward helping, but jmo, just from being around WS for ten years, and following crime for longer. I can’t really come up with murder cases solved by a reward, and there have been some huge ones, $250k and more. And there are many unsolved cases where it is assumed by many that more than one person was involved, or that someone must know, i.e...Anyway I just can’t see that as a factor.
I think there are two people (at the least) that were complicit-one the instigator, the other the shooter, and its very possible that no one else has a clue. It’s also just as possible that there are people that have questioned these two to themselves but haven’t come forward. MOO JMO

I think there are two people (at the least) that were complicit-one the instigator, the other the shooter, and its very possible that no one else has a clue. It’s also just as possible that there are people that have questioned these two to themselves but haven’t come forward. MOO JMO
I’ve wondered if enough national attention was given. If this vehicle was someone’s from out of state, did they ever know of its use in this case? Was it borrowed? Would a neighbor or friend recognize from out of state?

If I were the dad, since the $20k reward (which is a lot of money obviously) isn’t working, I’d want to bring that up to $25k or $30k to see if anyone would come forward with an increased reward.
The amount might not be the issue. Rather, the right population might not be aware of the reward If so, this lack of reward knowledge could be a key difference.

For example, the family of a murder victim in the South had posted reward information on bill boards along interstates and in the city. The police tried to focus on an angry ex husband with an airtight alibi. The case then went cold for years.

Desperate, the family hired private detectives. The investigators suspected a killer hired by the ex. They also thought that the killer may have been hired from a nearby lower income, predominately black American rural area where the ex, though white, had connections going back decades.

One of the investigators was black, knew the local culture, and knew that even if the locals saw the billboards, the reward was out of sight and out of mind. He then told the family to give him the reward amount in cash.

Next, he went door to door and talked about church, local football- and the murder on porches and over kitchen tables. When leaving, he would take the cash out of the bag, show it- look, don't touch!- and promise that it would be paid and that one tipster could get it all.

With in days, the phone rang off the hook with meaningful tips. The police quickly arrested a laborer known to work for the ex on occasion. He then quickly rolled over on the ex.

In short, perhaps the reward needs to be directly shown to the right population in the right circumstances. Maybe, hit the Star Wars conventions with an attractive display?

Here's a link to the video again. EB is startled when the killer walks close to her and pulls the gun out from his/her coat.

Video: Texas woman shot four times while setting up garage sale | Daily Mail Online
Ty for posting again, I too feel like I’ve seen this from a different angle before or maybe it’s just been a long time. (I was able to zoom in so maybe that’s it) I def see a woman with long brown/black hair, seemingly in a white nightgown? Her hair whips around when she turns to run off. The way she stood over her was a woman’s stance to me. She’s a tall(er), what we would call “thick”, or “big boned”, not heavy set woman, IMO.

Wait, did she hand over cash? Does anyone know if there was money missing that morning? Was it ever reported? Would her husband even know if it were? Like maybe some ones for the garage sale? It really looks like she robbed her and took off now IMO.

Ty for posting again, I too feel like I’ve seen this from a different angle before or maybe it’s just been a long time. (I was able to zoom in so maybe that’s it) I def see a woman with long brown/black hair, seemingly in a white nightgown? Her hair whips around when she turns to run off. The way she stood over her was a woman’s stance to me. She’s a tall(er), what we would call “thick”, or “big boned”, not heavy set woman, IMO.

I think there are a couple of better versions, but couldn't find them with some fast searching. Gray Hughes had some good analysis of the video, IIRC.

According to the most recent news stories, LE referred to a trench coat, so that may be what the killer is wearing.

As for handing over cas, that's an interesting theory. She (the killer) is showing her something with her left hand, brandishing the gun with her right.

It happens so fast. What was she handing or showing to her?

Last edited:
Wait, did she hand over cash? Does anyone know if there was money missing that morning? Was it ever reported? Would her husband even know if it were? Like maybe some ones for the garage sale? It really looks like she robbed her and took off now IMO.

Looking at it again, yes it does look like Elizabeth handed something to the killer. They put their left hand out while holding the gun in the other. Elizabeth makes a small gesture to hand them something. Whatever it is Elizabeth hands to her, it was something she was already holding in her hand. Cash seems likely as she would have it on hand to make change at the garage sale.

Simple robbery at a garage sale doesn't seem like much of a motive to kill someone, though.

Last edited:
The amount might not be the issue. Rather, the right population might not be aware of the reward If so, this lack of reward knowledge could be a key difference.

For example, the family of a murder victim in the South had posted reward information on bill boards along interstates and in the city. The police tried to focus on an angry ex husband with an airtight alibi. The case then went cold for years.

Desperate, the family hired private detectives. The investigators suspected a killer hired by the ex. They also thought that the killer may have been hired from a nearby lower income, predominately black American rural area where the ex, though white, had connections going back decades.

One of the investigators was black, knew the local culture, and knew that even if the locals saw the billboards, the reward was out of sight and out of mind. He then told the family to give him the reward amount in cash.

Next, he went door to door and talked about church, local football- and the murder on porches and over kitchen tables. When leaving, he would take the cash out of the bag, show it- look, don't touch!- and promise that it would be paid and that one tipster could get it all.

With in days, the phone rang off the hook with meaningful tips. The police quickly arrested a laborer known to work for the ex on occasion. He then quickly rolled over on the ex.

In short, perhaps the reward needs to be directly shown to the right population in the right circumstances. Maybe, hit the Star Wars conventions with an attractive display?

Wow, good idea. It's always frustrating when big rewards don't yield results.

Wow, good idea. It's always frustrating when big rewards don't yield results.
The investigator in question mixed cultural knowledge brought the reward t0 his target audience in an olde fashioned door to door way.

The victim and her husband had extensive on line lives. But..... why not go "door to door" electronically with the reward (as well as in person at Star Wars conventions?).

Like the case I described, the reward can be presented in a way that will be meaningful to the target audience(s), using language or well, what- emoticons that the audience(s) use and relate to?

Though the cash cannot be shown directly, why not include a bank account number as well as verification from the bank that the account contains the stated amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa