Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Status
Not open for further replies.
How Texas went from a coronavirus slow burn to an explosive disaster

How Texas went from a coronavirus slow burn to an explosive disaster

By North America correspondent Kathryn Diss

8 hrs ago

Coronavirus in Texas went from slow burn to explosion

America's coronavirus outbreak first erupted in Washington state before New York became the country's epicentre in April.

The situation was more of a slow burn in the country's south, with states like Texas, Florida and Arizona recording relatively lower rates of infection.

That all changed in May.

Texas's curve quickly shot up and Dr Patel remembers her team being shocked to have 30 patients at one time.

Then they had 90. They thought there was no way they could handle 100.

A few weeks ago, during the peak of infections in Texas, they hit 160 patients.

"The second peak clearly happened after Memorial Day," Dr Patel said.

"We started seeing a steep incline and it was just relentless."

Several US states said mass gatherings to celebrate the May 31 federal holiday caused a spike in COVID-19 infections.

"It really stretched every resource we had, both the manpower and the equipment, Dr Patel said.
They broke their records for the highest number of people on ventilators and dialysis machines at any one time.

The huge rise in cases in Texas is being seen as a direct consequence of lifting coronavirus restrictions too early.

The state started opening up again in May, though the Governor has since issued a statewide mask mandate and shut down bars again.

Some Texan bars have simply started serving food so they can be classified as restaurants and remain open, according to local media.

Texas sees early signs of improvement, but doctors fear another spike

Texas has started the see the first signs that cases are starting to decrease.

By most accounts, putting a pause on fully reopening the state and issuing the mask mandate has helped slow the spread in the state.

But while cases have come off the peak of 15,000 new infections in a day, Texas is still averaging about 8,000 a day.

And more than 8,000 people have died from close to half a million COVID-19 infections.

Doctors and nurses are hoping they have seen the worst of it, but with schools reopening this month and autumn rapidly approaching, concerns of a second spike are ever present.

the situation with school re-openings sends me into a state of anxiety; it isn't only the kids who are vectors for the virus, spreading to educators, but think about the spread to the community- to parents who go shopping at the supermarket- they will be all over the place and many of them will not be wearing masks or socially distancing. I can only see a nightmare ahead with schools re-opening. i would like to be wrong but i don't think i am.

Hey musical did Premier Doug Ford call you? I just got off the phone. Town Hall meeting this Thursday. He was quite chipper. Of course it was a recorded call :p

Heh, no. We live in the north where there be dragons. Our political leaders don't know we exist.

That Town Hall is via Zoom, I hope? Our local councilors are still meeting by Zoom.

There is no indication that the coronavirus is seasonal and it could bounce back any time, World Health Organization (WHO) leaders said at a press briefing today.

“If you take pressure off the virus, the virus will bounce back. That’s what we will say to countries in Europe – keep the pressure on,” said Mike Ryan, WHO executive director of the emergencies program.

.... the majority of the world’s population remains susceptible to the virus ...

... emphasised the importance of countries taking targeted action to tackle local outbreaks through methods like localised lockdowns employed in Leicester, UK.

Covid-19 news: Coronavirus not seasonal and will bounce back, says WHO

Won't they let kids take credits online to graduate on time? That seems to be insanity to hold kids back. And I agree, this is such an odd situation, for so many people. So many jobs have just "disappeared". My cousin is an event planner, he was constantly busy. Now, he is considering getting a CDL.

Nope, no extra classes to make a full load. The school can't allow some students an advantage.

She would have to drop out of public school and totally home school. This would knock her out of valedictorian her senior year. She's a sophomore, so far running the highest GPA for her class since third grade, when they starting giving an actual grade.

Coronavirus Australia live news: Vic Premier, Health Minister to face questions on coronavirus response at parliamentary inquiry

1daed3e1-329e-45d8-b2a5-1831cbf70746_800.gif

Oh my. Those are deep fears. These are potential problems that few people are discussing, but I agree that if the US doesn't get CoVid under control soon, or if there isn't a suitable vaccine soon, that there will be serious social unrest. It's just mind-boggling to watch this unfolding in the states. It brings tears. I'm sorry, truly sorry to see this. It didn't need to happen like this.

This is not something I would have worried about in the least a year ago. But people in a nearby city during the riots were saying they needed to burn my entire town to the ground. We've had armed militia less than an hour from our home. The No *advertiser censored*** Given or whatever they call themselves threatening extreme social unrest. I have to admit I'm pretty terrified we have no guns and never have. Before this point I never felt like we'd ever be in a position of needing self defense. At this point with the way this insanely God awful year has been unfolding I could expect a hell of a lot more social unrest. It's just mind boggling. Whether it's right or left there are a lot of crazy people out there right now and I think people are taking advantage of the situation.

Here’s something that’s just kinda fun. This is at the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores:
The aquarium — which is soon to enter its sixth month of mandated closure, thanks to the coronavirus — has come up with a pandemic project that can pass the time and help pay the bills.

They've drained a large waterfall at the facility and dredged up all the coins thrown in by wishful visitors.

"About 100 gallons of coins were cleaned and sorted and will go toward the general care of the aquarium and animals during this time," the aquarium said in a Facebook post last week.

They’ve asked commenters to make a guess how much the 100 gallons of coins will add up to be.

I’m terrible at guessing, but I’ll gueeeeesss.......$8,000 ? :p

Aquarium Is Washing Old Wishes To Pay Bills During Pandemic

This is not something I would have worried about in the least a year ago. But people in a nearby city during the riots were saying they needed to burn my entire town to the ground. We've had armed militia less than an hour from our home. The No *advertiser censored*** Given or whatever they call themselves threatening extreme social unrest. I have to admit I'm pretty terrified we have no guns and never have. Before this point I never felt like we'd ever be in a position of needing self defense. At this point with the way this insanely God awful year has been unfolding I could expect a hell of a lot more social unrest. It's just mind boggling. Whether it's right or left there are a lot of crazy people out there right now and I think people are taking advantage of the situation.

NFAC?

Nope, no extra classes to make a full load. The school can't allow some students an advantage.

She would have to drop out of public school and totally home school. This would knock her out of valedictorian her senior year. She's a sophomore, so far running the highest GPA for her class since third grade, when they starting giving an actual grade.

Well, maybe she should look at home schooling and start taking community college classes early.

It is sad, things change. This generation is definitely getting a lesson in resiliency. New goals. Maybe priorities and goals that used to be important need to be re-evaluated for our new reality. This is not a cavalier statement, to crush her goals and disappointment. But, maybe time to make new and different goals. Things have changed. Maybe being class valedictorian just isn't a goal worth doing now. Maybe early graduation is a better plan.

Please, respectively and not trying to be rude, just basic math.

Businesses pay for job task. The more education, the higher the wage most cases. Especially in small businesses. Its hard to pay the dish washer 25.00 per hour when selling 3.00 hamburgers. But that dishwasher could go to work in a factory and make more money, but the job is hard labor or requires certain hours or maybe a drug test.

Should we pay 20.00 per hour to our 16 yo old babysitter while we go out to dinner and a movie. Heck, that would be 100.00 for a 5 hour evening, most of us can't afford that and would just stay home.

The only way, I see out of poverty is an education.

Moo...

A 16 year old babysitter is not who is getting the unemployment. Nor do I know anywhere you can get a $3 hamburger. But minimum wage now is less (in real dollars) than it was when I was working for it decades ago.

Hey musical did Premier Doug Ford call you? I just got off the phone. Town Hall meeting this Thursday. He was quite chipper. Of course it was a recorded call :p

He calls you? Geez ... we just get text messages. I feel slighted. :D

Heh, no. We live in the north where there be dragons. Our political leaders don't know we exist.

That Town Hall is via Zoom, I hope? Our local councilors are still meeting by Zoom.

musical I never got a call and I'm in southwestern Ontario like Bravo
however, I do not answer the phone unless I recognize the number & I did get a call earlier from a Toronto number that I ignored

I see in your linked article that there is a further link .... Beth Moore, GA House Rep HD-95 has set up a whistleblower email so that students can report unsafe covid conditions in their schools under the protection of Beth's provided anonymity. She wants to protect them from 'consequences' (presumably the consequences that HW felt after posting her pic of a packed high school hallway, with no masks and no social distancing).

https://twitter.com/MooreForGeorgia/status/1291857468851617797

"This tweet has only been up for 1 hour & already I've received a disturbing tip of a county school board member testing positive, not telling anyone, & going to lunch at a restaurant a few days later. It's the same failure of leadership at the state & federal level. #Covidiots"

"A testimonial from an anonymous staff member at a middle school in #Paulding County: the school's contact tracing plan was eliminated. Teachers are not disinfecting desks. Only ~40 out of ~130 students wearing masks. #gapol #Georgia"

"Tell Florida students to email me too. #Neighbors"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads