Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home | Daily Mail Online

How has this not come out until now???? WOW

From article:

"Suzanne Morphew, 49, (middle with her husband Barry and their two daughters) was reported missing on Mother's Day and her bike was found near her $1.5 million Salida, Colorado home. At the time, husband Barry, 52, was 150 miles away in Broomfield, Colorado, working on a landscaping job for transport company RTD-Denver. But his home quickly became the focus of the police investigation. Suzanne's brother accused Barry of refusing to take a polygraph test and said he doesn't feel that Barry is 'fully cooperating' with the investigation. DailyMail.com can reveal that Jeff Puckett, (top right) a co-worker of Barry's took over his Denver hotel room (bottom right) on May 10 and found it scattered with wet towels and stinking of chlorine. A manager at the property confirmed to DailyMail.com that they do not use chlorine to clean guest rooms. The co-worker also discovered a pile of mail in the room - including a letter about property insurance - and later turned it over to the FBI. DailyMail.com can reveal Barry was granted guardianship of Suzanne in order to sell a property in their native Indiana on Tuesday."

About that photo in the DM article....

Grilling out while your wife is missing and (according to the 26-second infomercial ) possibly abducted ?
Really ?

I get it that the photo was taken July 18th if D.M. is accurate, but still.
Husband of missing Colorado mom spent the night before her disappearance at cheap Denver hotel | Daily Mail Online

View attachment 262371 View attachment 262372 View attachment 262373

To be fair, peanut butter & bacon burgers can be pretty tasty.

Per the DM, there were more than one letters/docs from Insurance co.s or one Ins co.
I don't think they were from the home mailbox.

Why would they not be from the home mailbox? BM used that address for his business address. Why would he have something like homeowners insurance sent to a secret or private mailbox somewhere else? Why would he stop to get that mail with a murder on his hands?

The fact that there's mail there at all is weird, but I assume it came from the home and that, perhaps, there was something else in that stack of mail that was no longer in the hotel room.

But to me, the weirdest thing is that he called the other guy, at all.

If BM had a contract with RTD, I think it was more likely BM was listed on their small works roster where he'd essentially be on-call, giving him the flexibility to set his own schedule as it appears he tried to do here with his alibi. MOO

Didn't Barry say he went up there to correct a bad job one of his employees did on a wall?

That was one of his stories. Somehow, his nephew heard "Had training in Denver," and MSM asked the Fire Chief about this, who said no such training. Then it became "a job in Denver." Denver is a big metropolitan area - I haven't checked to see how close Broomfield is to the hotel.

Is it possible that BM had received notice that the client was suing him? Was this a repeat of a pattern back in Indiana (which would account for the many different business names BM used and his departure from the state of Indiana). Did BM blame JP and want to smear some of the problems directly onto to JP?

Whatever the case, obviously, BM was not completely a cold and calculating murderer. This is done much like BM does other things - halfway. And we know he gets angry when things don't go his way (hence the fighting and mulch dumping back in Indiana).

I hope this bombshell brings more people out of the woodwork - JP obviously doesn't want to be a suspect or an accessory. But I suspect that someone in Salida knows a bit more and can add to this story. JP went to LE - but this other person may still be keeping mum.

About the peanut butter - that's what one would use in an Americanized version of making satay (Thai style BBQ). It's possible that the jar was used as a shaker for other ingredients. Maybe he's grilling for two different groups?

Amazing that the photog with his big lens got that picture.

The entire article is awesome - good job, DM.
I must be confused.So the DM took photos before SM got gone? If so why? If this photo was taken after, BM sure seems happy at the grill.

I'm having a hard time with the latest articles. DM began its articles saying that Barry "spent the night" at the hotel but doesn't corroborate this in any way. Everything that BM's employee reported on could have happened on Sunday after BM left Salida and drove to Broomfield. Right? I suppose they could have checked with the hotel desk, but then why not say that? If you're going to have that in your title, you need to back it up by evidence. Yeah, I know it's DM and not journalism, but a lot of assumptions are being made based on this article's headline. Am I missing something?

And this DM info was just repeated by Crime Online who gave the date of SM's disappearence as May 11 and stated that was Mother's Day. Get a proof reader, please!
No, you're not missing anything. The reporting is horrible. Get the dates and times, people! Who said he 'spent the night' at the hotel? A clerk? Well, then, tell us the day and time he arrived! If he had reservations for several nights, all he had to do was call and tell the hotel he'd be late and to please hold the room. Happens all the time. We still have no idea what time BM left the house, arrived at the hotel, left the hotel, called the worker, etc. And now the family is saying SM's phone call was ended at 12:30 PM? So did BM have that many more hours for disposal? Looks like it. I's sure the cops have everything, but dang, can't reporters spill complete and useful info to us needy people? Arrrgh.

And public train. IMO if there was a job, it was building out one of the new rail lines. Like perhaps the "N-line" which opens next month between Denver and Thornton.

N Line
That's right!! I forget that some cities are happy to consolidate public transit under one umbrella. Unlike the PNW with multiple agencies for bus, train, rail, and ferry transport.

Well this is what I get for going to the grocery store this morning! And I purposely did not get on WS so I would go and get in and out quickly. Just WOW!!! DM dropped a bomb! I finally got caught up and ya’ll have covered most of my thoughts and questions already. If it is true then the only thing that makes sense to me is that this was not premeditated far in advance or completely planned out well. All of BM’s lies and stupid mistakes seem like he was in complete panic mode. Why would he tell so many conflicting stories? Why would he leave wet towels and mail in the hotel room? I thought the communication with Suzanne’s friend ended at 9 pm but Chris tweeted to clarify it was around 2:30 pm on Saturday. Was Suzanne killed Saturday afternoon? Did Suzanne get the mail and open a bill that she didn’t know about? Property taxes that were past due and she thought had been paid by BM? Then BM arrives home while she is messaging with her friend and a fight ensues resulting in a rage killing? When did BM check into the hotel? Why check in on Saturday and tell LE he left at 5 am Sunday? Did he leave the hotel and drive home to sneak attack her? If he ambushed her then why was it planned so poorly? I feel like it was a rage killing and BM did his best to clean up the scene of the crime at home and decided last minute on the job alibi. I would like to know when he made the hotel reservation...did he call Sat afternoon? Before Saturday? Did he just show up? Could he have placed Suzanne in his truck and drove to the hotel in Broomfield checking in while leaving her in his truck? Or did he leave her in a temporary spot on their property? If it was still daylight he couldn’t risk burying her yet. He could have been sitting there thinking and trying to figure out what to do for hours...comes up with the bike abduction plan and decides how to dispose of her body...leaves hotel and drives back home after dark and gets a change of clothes and Suzanne’s bike (and possibly her helmet and bike clothes) and throws the bike down the ravine and hides the personal items and then drives to the work site and retrieved equipment needed for his next grim task...once completed he drives back to hotel, showers and cleans tools with bleach etc. I hope LE found blood and evidence in his vehicle. Surely they have him entering the hotel on camera?! What did he carry in to his room? Did he stop somewhere and buy bleach or did he take it from the house? What would cause BM to rush out of the hotel room leaving evidence behind? Was Suzanne’s friend calling him over and over? Was the friend calling the daughters? Were his daughters trying to reach their Mom and calling him? Was the friend threatening to call the police? Did he have his phone with him? What about Suzanne’s phone did he leave it at the house? Between the phone and the hotel surveillance how would he think he could get away with saying he didn’t leave until 5 am on MD? Was he just counting on LE buying the abduction theory and he didn’t think they would check out his alibi? Maybe he was just desperate and thought he would probably get caught anyway but was just trying something, anything he could to get away with it? Between his cell phone, hotel surveillance footage and truck gps how has he not been arrested already? And this employee said he was “ordered” to the hotel for this job (at the last minute?) and arrived Sunday night but BM had already left for a “family emergency.” So BM must have called him then or left a message but not told him what the emergency was or that his wife was missing? I wonder what time he called him? Does LE have a recorded message left by BM? I get the feeling he didn’t speak to him directly. How did employee get in the hotel room? Didn’t BM indicate he had a “crew” arriving? Did BM contact his employee again and ask him to wait there or why would he stay there until Tuesday with no job?? When did he give the mail to LE? Right away or how much time went by? Did BM ask him to get rid of it? Is it possible BM asked this employee to help him? I hope LE was able to search his hotel room and collect evidence. So many questions but the answers will surely come now. And one very big question is did the daughters know BM had this job and if so when did they think he was leaving? If BM really told Suzanne he needed to go set up for a job surely SM would have told them when Dad was leaving and that he wasn’t going to be home on MD! What if the daughters had no idea he would not be home? And when was the wedding of her friend’s child? Was there an urgency to reach Suzanne due to the timing of the wedding changing due to Covid? I think the friend is going to be the star witness at BM’s trial. BM was not counting on her being so alarmed. And did Suzanne say something about BM before communication abruptly ended? Did BM try and message her pretending to be Suzanne? I hope LE will communicate with AM re areas to search because Suzanne could be closer to Denver. Maybe that’s why AM is scheduling the search for later in September because they advised him to wait and by then they would have arrested BM and maybe get a confession or at least be able to narrow down the areas to search? I can’t wait to see what happens next! It feels like there is a lot of momentum now and I hope they are watching BM like a hawk because he might do something desperate now. I don’t think he will harm his children but they need protection just in case. I could see him shooting himself or throwing himself off of Crested Butte though if he thinks he will be arrested and everything he has done will come to light. Maybe some type of OJ chase? Hopefully his buddy will not be willing to drive him anywhere. Would LE kick in the door before first light to prevent any of this type of drama? All MOO & speculation and run on sentences because my mind is blown right now. :eek:

Edit: Didn’t realize this was so long...back to my old ways when I get excited. I know these are all questions we all have. Maybe I should just delete the whole thing? :confused:

Last edited:
The neighbor may have done a walkthrough of the home before calling to report Suzanne missing. I have to check the media thread to see if this is fact or rumor. A strong smell of bleach, reported to LE during that call, might have been what set everything in motion. It sure would explain a lot.

Home | Daily Mail Online

How has this not come out until now???? WOW

From article:

"Suzanne Morphew, 49, (middle with her husband Barry and their two daughters) was reported missing on Mother's Day and her bike was found near her $1.5 million Salida, Colorado home. At the time, husband Barry, 52, was 150 miles away in Broomfield, Colorado, working on a landscaping job for transport company RTD-Denver. But his home quickly became the focus of the police investigation. Suzanne's brother accused Barry of refusing to take a polygraph test and said he doesn't feel that Barry is 'fully cooperating' with the investigation. DailyMail.com can reveal that Jeff Puckett, (top right) a co-worker of Barry's took over his Denver hotel room (bottom right) on May 10 and found it scattered with wet towels and stinking of chlorine. A manager at the property confirmed to DailyMail.com that they do not use chlorine to clean guest rooms. The co-worker also discovered a pile of mail in the room - including a letter about property insurance - and later turned it over to the FBI. DailyMail.com can reveal Barry was granted guardianship of Suzanne in order to sell a property in their native Indiana on Tuesday."
I think after AM started talking, others felt it finally OK to cash in on what they know about the weekend of May 9. And I think more will follow. MOO

A 'crew' of two, apparently. And, the job was a big surprise to Jeff Puckett.

His employee never saw him or any tools. He stayed for two days waiting and never saw the "job". He hasn't spoken to him since but has been paid? The DM article says she was last heard from on May 8th. How was she texting/communicating the night before with her best friend about the wedding??

wow, just wow. This is for sure a BAM!!! @Warwick7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member