Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #78

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is Australian citizens overseas and some of your politicians complaining about it though, not others.

Regardless ... we do what is best for the majority in this country. And what is best for the majority is to keep as virus-free as possible, until some decent remedy comes along. We will act as safely as we can, take precautions, and gradually get all of our Aussies home.

At the moment, about .09% of our current population are overseas and want to return home (reported as 25,000 people of a population of 26,000,000).

It is most important to keep the other 99.91% safe from this virus that spreads rampantly once the cat is let out of the bag.

IMO

Last edited:
ADMIN REMINDER:

WE all need to remember that links are required to information stated as fact (unless a VI and posting within their area of expertise).

NO LINK, NO POST !!

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/education/article245664870.html

“As Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools leaders weigh whether to allow some students to return for in-person learning after months of virtual-only class due to COVID-19, concerns linger about the air quality inside school buildings.

District officials, in response to questions this week from the Observer, said that school HVAC systems cannot accommodate the CDC’s prescribed filters. Another option — buying CDC-recommended portable filtration systems — would be too expensive, officials say. And last week, CMS released a list of 39 schools with HVAC systems incapable of bringing in outside air, a key reopening recommendation from the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers.”

UK Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said about 4,200 people have been referred to the police over potential coronavirus quarantine breaches, as he responded to criticism that enforcement has been too lax.
Covid-19: UK steps up quarantine enforcement With 4,200 police referrals

That was due to the quarantine changing at short notice when the Portugal and Greece figures increased. All the returning travellers had to be referred so they could be sure they knew the new rules. He went on TV to explain.

Differences in UK quarantine rules 'confusing'

White House News Conference today on the federal government's distribution plan for vaccine(s) once the FDA approves safety of a vaccine or perhaps several vaccines. There will be 51,000 distribution outlets across the country (which includes 14,000 federally-approved health centers, if I heard this right), the military will be involved with the logistics, and the distribution will begin within 24 hours of the FDA's approval. IT is involved due to the need to trace the first dose in the event the vaccine that is approved requires a second dose. The priorities will be first responders and health care workers, and high risk elderly and others deemed at high risk. If the vaccine is approved this fall, vaccinations for these groups will be completed by January (with the caveat that this depends on FDA date of approval). They started working on the distribution plan months ago so they would be ready when a vaccine is approved, and the distribution plan is apparently available on HHS website. A reporter asked about refrigeration if it would be needed for one of the vaccine candidates currently in trials, and the response was that these logistics have been included in the distribution plan, and the military's logistics.

Very encouraging news conference.

President Trump News Conference | C-SPAN.org

I think we are very lucky here. Our support services are really good. (Mind you, we pay high taxes.)
The govt has been keeping "covid" money flowing to all citizens who need it for about 7 months now, and we know it will continue to flow until the end of March 2021.

We don't have to make choices about whether or not to send our kids to school. And we likely never would have to make those kind of choices. Due to other support services as well.

IMO

Coronavirus pandemic sends Australia into its largest budget deficit in decades

The country’s budget deficit is forecast to deepen significantly to 85.8 billion Australian dollars ($61.27 billion) in the financial year that just ended on June 30 from a balanced fiscal position in the prior year, according to a joint statement by the Australian treasurer and finance minister.

That shortfall is projected to widen even more to 184.5 billion Australian dollars ($131.78 billion) in the new fiscal year, the statement said. A Reuters report said that would be the country’s biggest deficit since World War II.

High taxes are not enough to pay for these services in Australia. Deficit spending is taking place just as it is in the US. That bill will have to be paid at a later date. JMO

It is political. Of course the opposition jumps on any talking point that they think may damage the government.
No, not everything is politics. I don't think all the 25,000 overseas wanting to return would all be down to politics. They want to see their families and get back for Christmas. It's completely understandable. The politicians were complaining about the lack of cooperation and notice from the PM's office in the link posted. They wanted RAAF flights to be organised, was one of the suggestions. A good one I thought. MOO

High taxes are not enough to pay for these services in Australia. Deficit spending is taking place just as it is in the US. That bill will have to be paid at a later date. JMO

I think this is the case just about everywhere. Not sure why we're focusing on Australia's shortfalls.

Coronavirus Spending Pushes U.S. Budget Deficit to $3 Trillion for 12 Months Through June

WASHINGTON—The U.S. budget deficit reached $3 trillion in the 12 months through June as stimulus spending soared and tax revenue plunged, putting the federal government on pace to register the largest annual deficit as a share of the economy since World War II.

I think this is the case just about everywhere. Not sure why we're focusing on Australia's shortfalls.

Coronavirus Spending Pushes U.S. Budget Deficit to $3 Trillion for 12 Months Through June

WASHINGTON—The U.S. budget deficit reached $3 trillion in the 12 months through June as stimulus spending soared and tax revenue plunged, putting the federal government on pace to register the largest annual deficit as a share of the economy since World War II.

I was responding to a post about Australia and it's services during this pandemic. I also mentioned that the US is in deficit spending to pay for Covid-19 efforts. JMO

I posted links to most of the European, US, UK and Canada deficits previously. Do you want me to bump it?

The number of new U.S. coronavirus cases has dropped from its peak in late July. But hidden in that trend is a rise in daily cases in the Midwest — which has recently seen its highest level so far.

Through Friday, North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri and Iowa had added more recent cases per capita than all other states.

New Cases Have Reached Record Levels in the Midwest

California rabbi's attorneys weighing legal action over LA County restricting holiday dinners

"In accordance with millennia-old tradition, Rabbi Gelb intends to gather with another family to observe the High Holy Days safely in the host family’s home," read the letter, which was addressed to county counsel's office and Department of Public Health.

"Los Angeles County now has the opportunity to demonstrate whether it intends to follow through on its threat to criminalize the observance of the High Holy Days at a family’s dinner table or whether its profoundly disrespectful language was a mere empty threat. The county must immediately remove all language from county policy threatening to police small, religious gatherings at family homes."

First Liberty is considering legal action over the issue, arguing that the county is violating the faithful's First Amendment rights -- specifically with a bias that's revealed by its handling of ongoing protests, the letter argued.

The number of new U.S. coronavirus cases has dropped from its peak in late July. But hidden in that trend is a rise in daily cases in the Midwest — which has recently seen its highest level so far.

Through Friday, North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri and Iowa had added more recent cases per capita than all other states.

New Cases Have Reached Record Levels in the Midwest
Why is Covid targeting the Mid west? Is this an exceptional increase and any idea why?

From the link the answer appears to be universities.

The rise of infection in the Midwest is different from what happened in Brooklyn in March or in South Texas in July. So far, hospitalizations have not spiked. Morgues have not been overrun. Lockdowns have not been ordered.

Young adults, who often have milder cases of the virus, are helping to drive this surge in cases. Thousands of infections have been linked to Midwestern universities, some of which have struggled to enforce social distancing rules.

I thought it may be of interest to post this forecast link. JHU is the one with the lowest forecast regarding deaths. (206k-214k by Oct 10th a maximum of 3,500 per week/500 per day )

Where The Latest COVID-19 Models Think We're Headed — And Why They Disagree

Last edited:
I don't think what was quoted is correct. Here is a report from early on about the effects. This states 80% of cases are mild but that a high percentage of those hospitalized suffer lung damage.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article...-some-patients-may-suffer-lasting-lung-damage

"In 70 patients who survived COVID-19 pneumonia, 66 had some level of lung damage visible in CT scans taken before hospital discharge, researchers report March 19 in Radiology. The damage ranged from dense clumps of hardened tissue blocking blood vessels within the tiny air sacs called alveoli, which absorb oxygen, to tissue lesions around the alveoli, Yuhui Wang, a radiologist at Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhan, China, and colleagues found."

"Certain patients are most at risk of developing this type of scarring. They include elderly patients who’ve had severe bouts of COVID-19 pneumonia, patients with other illnesses such as cancer or diabetes and those with other lung conditions caused by smoking or pollution, says Xiaolong Qi of the First Hospital of Lanzhou University in China, where another COVID-19 lung damage study is under way."

"While an estimated 80 percent of COVID-19 cases are mild, the rest display problems ranging from breathing difficulties to respiratory failure (SN: 2/25/20)."

I said "heart and lungs," I believe. If I did not say heart and lungs, I apologize, but it was specifically the heart damage that constitutes the lingering problem.

The 80% is an estimate (due to the fact that asymptomatic populations often do not present for treatment, so of course that has to be taken into account).

In longterm studies in Wuhan (a place that has enough cases and enough longitude for this kind of thing), 77% of patients still had mild to severe lung pathologies after 3 months. 17% had abnormal heart rhythms not detected before CoVid. Not everyone had both - so about 80%).

Keep in mind that Wuhan tested its entire population, so the data include all ages. So far, not many studies on the correlation between mild cases and mild pathologies - but the null hypothesis (common sense) would say that milder or asymptomatic cases have fewer pathologies, and so far, each dip into the data seems to show that's true (so children have the mildest symptoms).

Still, those who watch this science think there's cause for alarm (please don't respond to me about whether or not you think China has good data - I've posted several times about why scientists think China has good data, you don't have to accept it, but I am giving you my professional opinion on this).

Data from Italy says similar.

Other things that may occur to asymptomatic or younger people that are of concern to medical researchers include new onset of diabetes, erasure of bone marrow immunity (T cells), and in several concerning new studies: stillbirths. It's too soon to say that the virus itself caused the stillbirths (naturally, not all of the mothers were tested for CoVid - the data is international). One hypothesis is that CoVid is doing something to the placent (it's a vascular/epithelial disease, after all, not a respiratory one) but another hypothesis is that mothers are not going to the doctor either out of fear or because medical systems are strained.

Milder cases cause less damage, it's clear - but still can have damage. We'd know more if we could study many more people, because those with few symptoms aren't going for testing - or lung pictures - in most cases. Certainly, in the US, no one is getting a lung x-ray just because they tested positive for CoVid. If they have mild to moderate symptoms, they'll be sent home. If their moderate symptoms get worse, unless their symptoms are severe, they will be sent home to self-quarantine and use mostly OTC meds for treatment (1 in 10 will end up hospitalized eventually, of that group).

But the question is, shouldn't the public have all the various data in front of them before they send their kids to school? And even if children aren't involved, we should all know that the risks are very much under study - and rather concerning.

Target? I have no idea what you mean.. I live in the midwest, so what happens there directly affects me and my family.
I understand. I meant Covid and already edited my post. I have elderly relatives in Australia so their data interests me too so I had no idea why your post was querying Australian data. Covid is global.

Post about NZ now. I have relatives there too in case you wonder why I am posting it.

Covid 19 coronavirus: Man escapes from Rotorua quarantine / isolation hotel

9 people have escaped from quarantine altogether. It is hard to believe I am reading this.

"Rotorua MP Todd McClay said residents were "promised" that nothing like this would happen and it was "another blow" for the city.

He said they would be outraged to hear that the city joined Hamilton and Auckland where people had broken out of isolation."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard