Found Deceased IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

There is a good chance the only way we would know Jake was no longer missing is his no longer being listed in NamUs.

Death notices aren't optional
I could be wrong, but I think death notices aren't optional, although, obituaries are.

I was wrong. I looked into it, and both are optional. Also, Illinois is a closed record state. I read that that means that birth and death records can only be obtained by family or someone with a joint financial interest.

Here’s a tweet from a few days ago by crimeonline reporter.

https://twitter.com/ellenkilloran/status/1306311016133857280?s=21
Re: missing Jake Cefolia -- LE sources who declined to speak on the record have suggested the investigation has quieted down a bit, and that it's unlikely police will issue an arrest warrant for Cefolia anytime soon. Police appear to be following up on clairvoyant tips

Someone upthread inquired about investigation of Cefolia before he was reported missing: Link below.

..."Ruth told CrimeOnline that “a criminal investigation was underway” before Cefolia went missing, but said that he could not provide further specifics about the active investigation. Cefolia has not yet been charged with any crimes; nor have authorities issued a warrant for his arrest...."

Missing United Airlines exec Jake Cefolia is subject of criminal probe, police say

“Following up on clairvoyant tips”?! Is that a thing LE typically does?

Sometimes, and I used to roll my eyes, but I've learned here that it's not because they believe in clairvoyants. It's because sometimes information known by a community, where people are afraid to come forward, makes its way to the "psychic" or "clairvoyant" who can then get it anonymously to LE under the story of a vision.

HOWEVER, this really doesn't seem like that kind of case, in my opinion. Unless he is a crime victim.

And I'm not saying I believe the opinion about the tips, just speaking generally about the concept.

I think given the limited information available, and the fact that it seems the police do not suspect foul play, that we should all give Jake some privacy.

New United CEO Scott Kirby Comes Out Firing

Jake’s new boss (who replaced Oscar Munoz) was characterized by some as abrasive when he was at American Airlines...yet possibly another cause of stress for Jake.

I was just recently "let go" by a major Airline. I never heard that about Scott Kirby. Although, I do know that he is friends with many of the people at the top of the ladder, nothing much more.
I believe that Jake must have known whatever it is he may have been in to was going to come to light. I know each dept. had to take a hard look at where every dollar was going. Then, another dept would look through each dept's spending/costs etc... So, because of the microscopic, forensic-like, look into everyone's budgets, spending, etc... this possible criminal matter was going to come out. Not to mention the pressures and the loss you feel going through something like this. I would tell people it seems like someone died. That is the mood around the airline I worked. It hurt the souls of people. I don't know how many United laid off, but here was about 40,000. Starting October 1st, they can start laying anyone and everyone off. Because of stipulations in the loans they took from the Feds, they could not "furlough" anyone, until then.
I learned that the big airlines do not want attention brought to them over an employees actions, regardless of what it is, it will be down played or more likely never addressed at all. Which, may be why police are not making a huge deal about it as well.
Another thing I know... working for the airline I have learned more about travelling around the world than I ever thought I would. And, I still do not know every tid bit. I have learned where to go if you want to avoid this... how to get here and there. A lot about the different countries, etc... Like I said I do not know everything, but I do know that you learn a lot. A lot more than the average "Joe". So, I don't think I would rule out anything at this point.

If the criminal investigation involving Jake was related in any way to his employment, why would Elmhurst/local police be investigating?

On another note, a family member who works for the DPCFP told me he hadn't really heard much of anything regarding Jakes case. They did learn a few hours before it was made public that the female swept away by the DuPage river a few months back had been found. He said he'd let me know if he learns of any news on this case as it pertains to the forest preserve.

All signs point to the criminal investigation not being related, at least not significantly, to his employment in my opinion. If it was, I feel a more significant statement corporate statement would’ve been made or something would’ve leaked.

I don’t know how much searching is going on at this point. I wonder if we’ll ever know what happened — but I don’t trust my gut anymore, since my gut originally told me this was a self-harm case that’d be resolved within a month.

Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records
I cannot remember if it has been posted previously, Jake filed bankruptcy in 2019. In my personal opinion, that's when he started planning to go off the grid, and what better time to do it than when everyone is wearing masks and social distancing?
There's a rumor that LE confiscated his electronics, not that he left them behind. Maybe that was when he decided to enact the plan.

If he filed BK a year ago he likely wouldn't qualify for a mortgage again. Unless things have changed it is at least two years after a BK for someone to qualify for a fha mortgage.

I think he is missing of his own accord. Within 5 days or so prior to his disappearance he visited his sister with his kids, his GF in SF and his son. One of his business interviews mentions something along the lines of the layoffs and down sizing having "human consequences".

Whether he walked out or harmed himself, I'm certain he is missing of his own accord. The thing that really sucks us he really stuck it to his kids and just before they are going to get ready for college.

In Illinois it takes 7 years for a missing person to be declared deceased.

I have little sympathy for anyone who bails on their kids.

If he filed BK a year ago he likely wouldn't qualify for a mortgage again. Unless things have changed it is at least two years after a BK for someone to qualify for a fha mortgage.

I think he is missing of his own accord. Within 5 days or so prior to his disappearance he visited his sister with his kids, his GF in SF and his son. One of his business interviews mentions something along the lines of the layoffs and down sizing having "human consequences".

Whether he walked out or harmed himself, I'm certain he is missing of his own accord. The thing that really sucks us he really stuck it to his kids and just before they are going to get ready for college.

In Illinois it takes 7 years for a missing person to be declared deceased.

I have little sympathy for anyone who bails on their kids.
How would anyone know if it were foul play? I don’t believe the bankruptcy yet. I think that was an error shared in a Facebook group.

Random thoughts...

Could anyone have been “not thrilled” about him having two girlfriends? Were there any other men in the girlfriends lives ?

I’m not convinced he had on hiking boots at the gas station. I’m not convinced that he didn’t look like he was going to play golf.

There are just too many “what if‘s” for me.

Why did he miss the appointment with the realtor? Why didn’t he just cancel it? Why was his coworker at his house? Was he there at the same time that his son was there? Where was his daughter? Why did he tell his GF#1 he had to go home and take care of the kids? Are they so young that they have to be taken care of? Does he normally take care of the kids? Why did he have two girlfriends and did they know about each other? Or are there more? Is there a jealous ex, spouse, or other of the GF’s out there?

What happens if he misses a child support/alimony payment? I assume since he was recently divorced that he has those. Did he have something set up instead of those? If it were me and my spouse skipped out of payments and I didn’t know where he was I would probably make sure that I follow through so that charges could be pressed against him eventually for missing them which would put a warrant out for his arrest I would assume? Then, he would no longer be a missing person but a “wanted” missing person. In this case, I would guess it’s possible his power of attorney might be paying those for him if he actually has access to a bank account. And who is that power of attorney?

My thoughts are: why no press conferences? Why no reward? Why no update from police? Why is no local journalist asking for more information? In other cases sleuths have been known to reach out to local media and ask them to get involved and figure out what is going on by asking police for more information -maybe that’s what needs to happen here.

How long till United replaces him? And what if they don’t? Does that mean that his job was going to be cut?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back