Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legal question

If they find a hit of remains on Barrys property via a dog without a warrant by a volunteer search team (basically trespassing) would that affect the ability to arrest/convict?

Excellent question. Generally, if
the volunteers were trespassing & got the hit, the "hit" can still be used by police to attempt to get a search warrant for the property. This is because in such a case the volunteers are the wrongdoers (trespassers), not the police. Suppression of the evidence wouldn't be warranted because the police didn't do anything wrong.

The only caveat to this is the question of how closely those particular volunteers worked with police. If a court finds them to have become agents of the police, then suppression could occur. From the CCSO press releases, it did not seem that the police were exercising the degree of control over the searchers necessary to establish them as agents, but the conduct of the particular volunteers and the specific police officers they interacted with would have to be scrutinized.

Of course she did.

Don't forget that same rando kidnapper likely stayed at the same HI in Broomfield, so that's why LE asked for all the other business's video surveillance from 05.07 to 05.12 (according to the DM).
I'm guessing we can't sleuth the husband yet - but since the property information is out there - we are ok to discuss aspects of that?

Can somebody please honestly explain to me, why, IF she is found here LE/Sheriff had not searched this area already? If they already knew about this property, and that it was directly connected to Barry (I assume they knew this.) thank you.

LE would have needed a separate warrant to search that property.

It may have proven difficult to convince a judge that they had probable cause to search a property that BM purchased AFTER SM went missing.

Or LE may in fact have searched that property, and dogs didn't hit during that search.

I don't think we can definitively conclude right now that LE never searched that property.

JMO.

Can somebody please honestly explain to me, why, IF she is found here LE/Sheriff had not searched this area already? If they already knew about this property, and that it was directly connected to Barry (I assume they knew this.) thank you.
Possibly, they were unable to get a SW, but now based on something from vislaw (or something else), were able to get a SW. MOO.

I’m not convinced the trees are relevant, but I think this is how they could be if they are.

If you plant trees on top of a body, you make it very unlikely that the body will ever be found.

No construction equipment is going to accidentally dig there while a property is being developed.

I just fail to see how this location is a more idyllic environment than their current property. Higher HOA fees, more industrial neighbors, flight path (though yes, I am aware of the size of the airport).

Just seems an odd choice given the number of vacant lots within Chaffee County.

But I guess the maxim holds that there’s no accounting for others’ tastes.

Reminds me of a certain murder in my area in which a husband murdered his wife and dumped her body in a certain specific place about 3 miles from home, in a new subdivision being built.

The big gotcha was: about 13 hrs before he murdered her he was at work, on a secure network, with his secure and password-protected work laptop, doing one or more google searches, and he brought up a map and quickly moved the map and panned in and in and in way down to the exact spot he would dump his dead wife's body later that night after killing her at home. Defense claimed the google searches were "planted" and he couldn't have done those searches because he was "way too smart as an engineer and that was dumb so it couldn't have been him." FBI cyber task force analyzed the laptop and found the cached searches.

I’m not convinced the trees are relevant, but I think this is how they could be if they are.

If you plant trees on top of a body, you make it very unlikely that the body will ever be found.

No construction equipment is going to accidentally dig there while a property is being developed.
I guess you don't need a permit to plant a tree in that development?

Forgive me, I’m behind and confused. Isn’t property ownership registered publicly? How did he own this piece of land and it not turn up in a property search? It’s my understanding the only property he owns is the Salida property he bought after SM went missing and the PP property jointly with SM. We’ve known for sometime about the new property purchase.

If this doesn’t make any sense, just ignore me :).
the new lot purchase of 6/25/20 was not recorded until a few days or few weeks after BM closed on it.
It's possible LE checked around the time of her disappearance and saw only the residence as
what he owned.
Maybe LE doesn't read Websleuths.

Well, our dear friend Occam might suggest that earlier searches turned up nothing because nothing was there.

Just look at how mobile and active Leticia Stauch was, even after her Cousin Itt interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member