Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me, I’m behind and confused. Isn’t property ownership registered publicly? How did he own this piece of land and it not turn up in a property search? It’s my understanding the only property he owns is the Salida property he bought after SM went missing and the PP property jointly with SM. We’ve known for sometime about the new property purchase.

If this doesn’t make any sense, just ignore me :).
I hate that i know this but Local governments maintain the official deed records. When someone buys new property or a title to property is transfered to them, its not technically legally theres until they going down to the office and record the deed

The recording system is the principal means by which the title to real property can be determined. They contain A copy of the transfer documents relating to the parcel of land, typically placed in the records by a purchaser or mortgagee seeking to protect the priority of title for a document. They are not digital their legit books of title the government maintains and hence theres no system of notifications

I’m not convinced the trees are relevant, but I think this is how they could be if they are.

If you plant trees on top of a body, you make it very unlikely that the body will ever be found.

No construction equipment is going to accidentally dig there while a property is being developed.
here' my theory-
BM offered in writing to purchase the lot before SM's disappearance. But he tells seller/developer he can't close til June sometime due to closing on Indiana house.
But later asks seller if he can plant these trees
on the lot before closing, cause I don't want the trees to dry up in their pots and the lot would be improved with a few trees even if I never close.
Seller says fine, help yourself.
So theoretically BM could have buried her there right after doing the deed.

I’m not convinced the trees are relevant, but I think this is how they could be if they are.

If you plant trees on top of a body, you make it very unlikely that the body will ever be found.

No construction equipment is going to accidentally dig there while a property is being developed.

BBM:

The tree purchases.

The well permit.

At least one of those two things are going to prove very relevant here.
Perhaps both?

JMO.

Last edited:
I hate that i know this but Local governments maintain the official deed records. When someone buys new property or a title to property is transfered to them, its not technically legally their until they going down to the office and record the deed

The recording system is the principal means by which the title to real property can be determined. They contain A copy of the transfer documents relating to the parcel of land, typically placed in the records by a purchaser or mortgagee seeking to protect the priority of title for a document. They are not digital their legit books of title the government maintains and hence theres no system of notifications
In my state - we use erecording. The deed physically never leaves our office - it's electronically recorded and used to be at the OR book and page- now counties are moving to an Index. And my county also has set up email notifications for your own property so that if someone attempts to hijack it, record a mortgage, etc. you get an email - we have a real problem with property stealers here.
JMO

Address: 8366 LONGHORN DR , UNINCORPORATED CHAFFEE COUNTY, CO
Submittal Date: 7/6/2020 Submittal Complete:
Date Issued: 7/6/2020 CO Date:
Parcel #: R368336100071 Permit Type: DRIVEWAY PERMIT
Legal Desc: LOT 8 LONGHORN RANCH SUBDIVISION PLAT 437342 SUB413 REC 459984
Owner: MORPHEW BARRY Contractor:

The County issued him the driveway permit on 07/06/20.
Building Department Permit Detail

Purchased the property the end of June and applying for permits asap. I'm sure he was the one doing all the site work. Surely LE has been watching him and knew what a busy bee he's been.

I think maybe the tree invoices are relevant for the delivery address, and LE started wondering why you would buy trees to plant before you have done any other work on the site. Also the date of tree purchase would be key - maybe bought for a site before he even owned it.

I just fail to see how this location is a more idyllic environment than their current property. Higher HOA fees, more industrial neighbors, flight path (though yes, I am aware of the size of the airport).

Just seems an odd choice given the number of vacant lots within Chaffee County.

But I guess the maxim holds that there’s no accounting for others’ tastes.

It couldn't be. The current neighborhood is one of the most idyllic settings I have ever laid eyes on. It is beyond beautiful!

here' my theory-
BM offered in writing to purchase the lot before SM's disappearance. But he tells seller/developer he can't close til June sometime due to closing on Indiana house.
But later asks seller if he can plant these trees
on the lot before closing, cause I don't want the trees to dry up in their pots and the lot would be improved with a few trees even if I never close.
Seller says fine, help yourself.
So theoretically BM could have buried her there right after doing the deed.

Smart theory!

In my state - we use erecording. The deed physically never leaves our office - it's electronically recorded and used to be at the OR book and page- now counties are moving to an Index. And my county also has set up email notifications for your own property so that if someone attempts to hijack it, record a mortgage, etc. you get an email - we have a real problem with property stealers here.
JMO
OMG thats so nice. I know some are moving that way but the legal system takes forever to embrace technology

Well, our dear friend Occam might suggest that earlier searches turned up nothing because nothing was there.

Just look at how mobile and active Leticia Stauch was, even after her Cousin Itt interview.

That cousin IT reference made me spit my cola half way across the room. Too funny...

MOO

I'm guessing we can't sleuth the husband yet - but since the property information is out there - we are ok to discuss aspects of that?

To quote @sillybilly

"A thread specific decision has been made by Tricia to allow members to discuss Barry Morphew and to speculate about him based on how he is being publicly treated by LE, information from MSM and other WS approved sources (except rumors). Do NOT sleuth him or his business and do NOT trash him."

Since this property info has been posted now in MSM, you are free to discuss what's been said in MSM.

If this changes, a mod will let you all know.

I understand that some are fearful for the daughters' safety, but I do not believe the Bad Actor in this tragedy will harm the daughters.

At least, not physically.

The psychological damage has already been done, and it's going to be nothing short of catastrophic.

I hope they both find extremely skilled, competent therapists to help them salvage whatever they can of their battered psyches.

JMO.

I agree with you, like I do MOST of your posts.

I just wanted to bring this over from @NatureLover
Some of you have wondered about the feelings of the Alexandria community. Lots of people don't know the Moorman's. SM and BM moved to Arcadia shortly after their marriage. SM's mother has been deceased seven years. Gene lives in Michigan. Andy lives in a neighboring small town. The older siblings haven't lived here since high school. People my age (older and didn't know SM) are curious more than anything. People SM and Andy's age are strongly in support of Andy. People who know BM feel he's being framed.

BBM.
If she is found, how awful for someone to put her on HIS new purchased land!! This is "framing" at its best, especially since the land was purchased AFTER she went missing! IMO

Serious questions:
Also, the searchers on this land before a search warrant.... would that be needed by regular citizens?
Is the lot posted with No Trespassing signs? Would that even make a difference?

Excellent question. Generally, if
the volunteers were trespassing & got the hit, the "hit" can still be used by police to attempt to get a search warrant for the property. This is because in such a case the volunteers are the wrongdoers (trespassers), not the police. Suppression of the evidence wouldn't be warranted because the police didn't do anything wrong.

The only caveat to this is the question of how closely those particular volunteers worked with police. If a court finds them to have become agents of the police, then suppression could occur. From the CCSO press releases, it did not seem that the police were exercising the degree of control over the searchers necessary to establish them as agents, but the conduct of the particular volunteers and the specific police officers they interacted with would have to be scrutinized.

If they did find Suzanne’s body, would it matter legally how it was found? I’m hoping you mean people might be fined for trespassing, but the FINDINGS would still be in play legally for prosecution of Suzanne’s murder. But I don’t know? Yikes!

I wonder if that’s where the confusion about the search ending came in? Andy said they initially thought GM had a stroke so maybe he was planning to end the search early and go back to Michigan until he found out it wasn’t a stroke. It must be very difficult to be pulled in two different directions between two very important situations with loved ones. Imagine if Andy lost his Dad while he was in Co searching for Suzanne. More pain caused by a selfish person. I remember Andy said he was going to spend time with his Dad before he left for Co because he knows he is struggling. I hope Suzanne is found while GM is still alive so he will get some peace from knowing his little girl will be laid to rest by her mother as he wished.
BBM this is exactly what my husband and I were discussing earlier today.

Barry definitely owns it according to public record, but I too am only a commercial and insurance attorney so I can't really be an authority on search warrants and searches such as this. But I am concerned. I also am wondering if that was part of the somber mood yesterday - that somehow LE has indicated that they are behind the 8-ball in that no SW was obtained and AM was potentially trespassing when he made the initial discovery.
I’m so freakin’ confused :confused: I was under the impression that the property AM trespassed on was the riverfront property as there was the photo of AM sticking a pole by the rock wall and a cadaver dog close by with his/her handler although the handler was not in the photo. It was said that the dog made three passive hits on THAT property. Was AM also at the Salida Longhorn Ranch property with a cadaver dog? TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona