Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
imgur.com

[image taken the evening of 14/09/07 in Trafalgar Square - 45 minutes walk from King’s Cross]

Just seen this photo. I thought this was a distinct possibility this was Andrew, but after a lot of consideration I have come to the conclusion it is probably not. My reasoning is that the "Andrew" figure appears to me to have a band of some kind on their right wrist; a watch or bangle, whereas if you check the CCTV footage Andrew has a watch on his left wrist, and nothing on his right arm.
Great idea though to look through old photos.

Also surprised by the revelation that the GaT programme was the summer before. Not sure why that was not known before. It seemed plausible that the origins for Andrew's disappearance lay there. It is still not impossible. My own son still keeps in touch with an older boy who was a helper on a summer camp he attended several years ago. But a lot less likely.

Regarding Andrew walking home. I have wondered if rather than avoiding bullies or meeting someone, he was timing how long it took him, seeing if anyone at home noticed he was later getting in, how soon before he was missed, in preparation for his outing.

A photographer was at King Cross on September 14, 2007 and took some photos inside the station. Someone close to the Gosdens contacted him so that he could make this material available to the family, unfortunately Andrew does not appear in the images:
Appeal for photos of a missing teen last seen at King's X in 2007

Although this demonstrates the importance of reviewing any photograph from that date that may be in a photographer's collection or in a family album. The photo that can give a clue may not have been published on any page and its author may not even know about this case.

According to Wikipedia, adjacent to Kings Cross Station is St. Pancras International which is the London terminal for service to Belgium, France and Netherlands.

London King's Cross railway station - Wikipedia

Is this why Andrew chose Kings Cross Station in particular? As a means of boarding a Eurostar train out of the country? Could he have done so without a passport?

Is this why Andrew chose Kings Cross Station in particular? As a means of boarding a Eurostar train out of the country? Could he have done so without a passport?

Not sure Andrew "chose" Kings Cross as his terminus. If you go to National Rail enquiries and search for a train leaving Doncaster for "All London Stations" the options which come up all go to Kings Cross.

Not sure Andrew "chose" Kings Cross as his terminus. If you go to National Rail enquiries and search for a train leaving Doncaster for "All London Stations" the options which come up all go to Kings Cross.

I didn’t know that. Thank you for sharing. So by going to London he had to go to Kings Cross Station by default.

According to Wikipedia, adjacent to Kings Cross Station is St. Pancras International which is the London terminal for service to Belgium, France and Netherlands.

London King's Cross railway station - Wikipedia

I've lived in the UK as a Uni Student and remember that we had to change trains from King's Cross to St Pancras when traveling South, to Brighton for instance. The two stations are right next to each other. I imagine CCTV from both stations would have been checked though.

King's Cross is a connector for a lot of people travelling elsewhere. You can connect to other trains almost instantly. I also travel from Yorkshire to King's Cross, but London is not my final destination. Hope that makes sense x

Makes sense. Knowing this makes me wonder now more than ever what his final destination was.

From National Rail:
Off-Peak Day Travelcards are valid for travel from whenever Off-Peak fares become available from your origin station – check our Journey Planner to see whether an Off-Peak fare is available when you wish to travel. Valid up to the early hours of the following day, and within the London Fare Zones area you may use the Travelcard until 04:29 and all travel, including beyond the London Fare Zones must be completed by that time. Railcard holders may purchase certain Off-Peak Day Travelcards at a discount.

If his final destination was indeed London I have to wonder why he didn't get the return ticket combined with a London off peak Day travelcard. It gave you free access to all central London's public transport and you could return any time after the peak hours until 04:29 the next morning!
If he was offered that kind of ticket and he refused there must be some reason behind it because as I remember, combined with a student discount, it came at a ridiculously affordable price compared to buying separate tickets and gave you freedom to return whenever you wanted.

I think some clues do point to him planning to return later that day or the next, though. (Not bringing the charger for his gaming system, not bringing all of his cash, not bringing a larger backpack with some extra clothes).

Maybe he had not decided exactly when he was returning and that's why he was waiting to by a ticket. Maybe he didn't know all of the ticket options.

But he only had enough to get by for a few days, even if he was meeting with someone.

I think he just needed to get away, feel some freedom, and he chose a fun city he was comfortable with and could easily return from.

Something went wrong
(Self harm, accident, or foul play?)
or his plan changed last minute, spontaneously decided to start a new life with someone's help? (For some reason, I have to stay hopeful on this case.)

If his final destination was indeed London I have to wonder why he didn't get the return ticket combined with a London off peak Day travelcard. It gave you free access to all central London's public transport and you could return any time after the peak hours until 04:29 the next morning!
If he was offered that kind of ticket and he refused there must be some reason behind it because as I remember, combined with a student discount, it came at a ridiculously affordable price compared to buying separate tickets and gave you freedom to return whenever you wanted.

A single ticket from Doncaster to Kings Cross today costs between £25.50 and £30.50 off peak. Andrew would have been able to buy a child's fare, at even less, and in 2007 presumably it would have been even cheaper. Have to wonder why he needed £200 to take with him - way more than he needed to travel. And why not the travelcard. Would have made more sense.
I have not read anywhere that other ticket outlets - bus/tube/train were checked to see if Andrew had travelled further, though surely they were?

ETA ChatteringBirds, that's pretty much what I think. His day out was intended to be just that, or at least no more than a few days, but something went wrong.

Have to wonder why he needed £200 to take with him - way more than he needed to travel.

Quote RSBM.

Maybe he was planning one night at a hostel (is that realistic?), a few meals, paying for museums, 2 train tickets, souvenirs?

Oh kid, why didn't you at least leave your parents a note?
(There are far too many cases I want to say that on.)

Andrew had never skipped school before. Would he really have risked his perfect attendance record for a fun day out? I don’t think so. His parents also stated that he was irritable the morning he disappeared. That doesn’t seem inline with a kid set on having a fun day off school. He was irritable, worried, not carefree and happy. Such a mystery.

Last edited:
Would he really have risked his perfect attendance record for a fun day out?

I could imagine a teenager who has perfect attendance and never really acted-out his entire life one day not being able to (or wanting to) do it anymore.
I also think there is a lot of changes happening around this age in the brain. There are so many 14, 15, and 16-year-olds who "run away." MOO.

Just came across this very insightful podcast (Thin Air Podcast) on Andrew's disappearance where you can hear interviews with the family.
Andrew's dad is saying (timestamp around 1:03:00) that even though they knew the exact timing of the train arriving at Kings Cross station, it took Police 27 days to review CCTV footage and to the best of his knowledge, CCTV footage was not requested from the adjoining St Pancras station or the Underground!

Last edited:
His parents also stated that he was irritable the morning he disappeared. That doesn’t seem inline with a kid set on having a fun day off school. He was irritable, worried, not carefree and happy. Such a mystery.

For myself, even as an adult, if I am about to do something I think my family might disagree with, I get tetchy with them, even when they have no idea what is in my head. So it makes sense to me that Andrew was irritable. He knew his parents would disapprove of his plans for the day.
CCTV footage was not requested from the adjoining St Pancras station or the Underground!

As for this, speechless! Thanks for the podcast link.

Just came across this very insightful podcast (Thin Air Podcast) on Andrew's disappearance where you can hear interviews with the family.
Andrew's dad is saying (timestamp around 1:03:00) that even though they knew the exact timing of the train arriving at Kings Cross station, it took Police 27 days to review CCTV footage and to the best of his knowledge, CCTV footage was not requested from the adjoining St Pancras station or the Underground!

That was the problem right from the start. It just wasn’t taken seriously by the authorities, and by the time the footage was even thought to be of any use, it would have been long deleted or taped over. It’s by far the most frustrating part of this case, because if the CCTV had been requested immediately, I think it would be known exactly where Andrew was headed, and possibly who with (if anyone).

Museums are free
Well that is an interesting thought, apparently Andrew was very keen for museums.
Wondering if he was a big fan of the comedy "Night at the Museum" released in 2006 - and if so, would he try and spend a night in a museum himself?
wild speculation, imo.
Family release digitally-aged pictures of missing son on second anniversary of his disappearance | Daily Mail Online
''Back then, his devastated parents Kevin and Glenys, and big sister Charlotte, thought he left home in Doncaster to 'broaden his horizons' and indulge his passion for visiting museums.''

Last edited:
Well that is an interesting thought, apparently Andrew was very keen for museums.
Wondering if he was a big fan of the comedy "Night at the Museum" released in 2006 - and if so, would he try and do something like that himself?
wild speculation, imo.

Sister & brother run away, take train, hide in museum:

https://www.amazon.com/Mixed-up-Files-Mrs-Basil-Frankweiler/dp/1416949755

There is a movie, haven't seen it.

In New Canaan, Connecticut there was plenty of talk amongst elementary school students about running away to New York on the train....

Too bad that authorities were sooooooo slow with the CCTV images!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexaatmedotcom