Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
according to the article which is Canadian, our appliances come from China and the U.S. and the supply chain issues = 'physical distancing, increased cleaning and absenteeism, have affected production.'

Whirlpool has their manufacturing plant here in Ohio, and they are behind production in appliances for the reasons you mention, above. President Trump visited the Whirlpool plant last month.

I wondered about this. Still trying to get a chest freezer but most places are out of stock. I see them on Wayfair and some other sites, but don't want to buy one somewhere where I can't easily return it if we have problems. We had to order a new garbage disposal, and wanted to get the same model that we had originally installed, so all the pipe fittings etc. would align and we could install it ourselves without too much fuss. We watched a YouTube video and did install it when it finally arrived. But it was out of stock at Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, Walmart, etc. so we had to order online and wait a few weeks.

My Home Depot has several in stock right now. You might check yours.

Me too. I'm getting slowly adjusted to everything else and finding work-arounds.

This phase of my life was supposed to involve travel. Saved for years. So many of my colleagues are in the same boat - we finally can afford to take summers off and travel a little. We had our list of places. I am glad I did get to travel in the past, so sad for today's group of young would-be world travelers/couch surfers.

I feel the same and I've got real wanderlust (aka notripophobia lol), but also the fear it won't be quite the same for years. Glad I did a lot of travelling in my youth, yet there's so much more to see and do

In an unprecedented move, the New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday published an editorial written by its editors condemning the Trump administration for its response to the Covid-19 pandemic -- and calling for the current leadership in the United States to be voted out of office.

It does not endorse a candidate, but offers a scathing critique of the Trump administration's leadership during the pandemic.

Prestigious medical journal calls for US leadership to be voted out over Covid-19 failure - CNN

She wasn't. It was political.

Oh. Not quite as bad as travelling to London on a long train journey while awaiting tests results because you have symptoms, then attending parliament/meetings, then getting a positive result and deciding to travel all the way home again by train. Not just political but also completely relevant.

She wasn't. Salons had been shut down.

Yes. I have read nothing that says she was positive.
And the other side of the story says that she was informed by the business that they were allowed, by new regulations, to have one customer at a time.

"This business offered for the speaker to come in on Monday and told her they were allowed by the city to have one customer at a time in the business," Hammill said. "The speaker complied with the rules as presented to her by this establishment."

But Hammill's comments acknowledged Pelosi and her staff had relied on the interpretation of someone at the salon about what was allowed by new city regulations -- that had just gone into effect Friday -- and that the person was incorrect.

Pelosi's staff said the speaker has a regular stylist who typically goes to Pelosi's house to do her hair. But that person was not available on Monday so referred Pelosi's staff to a stylist at eSalon because it is where Pelosi's regular stylist used to work.

Pelosi's office acknowledges indoor hair appointment, violating San Francisco Covid-19 restrictions - CNNPolitics

Last edited:
Yes. I have read nothing that says she was positive.
And the other side of the story says that she was informed by the business that they were allowed, by new regulations, to have one customer at a time.

"This business offered for the speaker to come in on Monday and told her they were allowed by the city to have one customer at a time in the business," Hammill said. "The speaker complied with the rules as presented to her by this establishment."

But Hammill's comments acknowledged Pelosi and her staff had relied on the interpretation of someone at the salon about what was allowed by new city regulations -- that had just gone into effect Friday -- and that the person was incorrect.

Pelosi's staff said the speaker has a regular stylist who typically goes to Pelosi's house to do her hair. But that person was not available on Monday so referred Pelosi's staff to a stylist at eSalon because it is where Pelosi's regular stylist used to work.

Pelosi's office acknowledges indoor hair appointment, violating San Francisco Covid-19 restrictions - CNNPolitics

This is why nation-wide policy (or at least state-wide) would be good. However, the persons legally responsible for the implementation are those who hold the business licenses - not their customers.

I don't think any state punishes or demeans customers if the owner of the business has, for example, used a banned ingredient or is open on Sunday if in a blue law state.

BNO Newsroom
@BNODesk

NEW: Top White House security official Crede Bailey has been hospitalized with COVID-19 and is 'gravely ill' - Bloomberg

A top White House security official, Crede Bailey, is gravely ill with Covid-19 and has been hospitalized since September, according to four people familiar with his condition.

The White House has not publicly disclosed Bailey’s illness. He became sick before the Sept. 26 Rose Garden event President Donald Trump held to announce his Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett that has been connected to more than a dozen cases of the disease.

White House Security Official Contracted Covid-19 in September

A White House spokesman declined to comment on Bailey. He is in charge of the White House security office, which handles credentialing for access to the White House and works closely with the U.S. Secret Service on security measures throughout the compound.

BNO Newsroom
@BNODesk

NEW: Top White House security official Crede Bailey has been hospitalized with COVID-19 and is 'gravely ill' - Bloomberg

A top White House security official, Crede Bailey, is gravely ill with Covid-19 and has been hospitalized since September, according to four people familiar with his condition.

The White House has not publicly disclosed Bailey’s illness. He became sick before the Sept. 26 Rose Garden event President Donald Trump held to announce his Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett that has been connected to more than a dozen cases of the disease.

White House Security Official Contracted Covid-19 in September

A White House spokesman declined to comment on Bailey. He is in charge of the White House security office, which handles credentialing for access to the White House and works closely with the U.S. Secret Service on security measures throughout the compound.

Ah...this is very sad.

It's so important not to delay testing (PCR type - the usually offered type that takes at least 2 hours - usually longer). The earlier a person can get treatment, the better.

If you suspect you've come in contact, isolate for at least 10 days and pay close attention to your health.

Some Secret Service already very unhappy with the situation.

Well, the last thing I've heard is last month's update in the Lancet that is highly political rather than purely scientific. I was quite disappointed.

I get it that a cold war between China and the US would be detrimental to world trade (yes, that's in the report) but I think the facts should come out no matter what they are.

China claims the virus is zoonotic, that it jumped from animals (likely bats) to humans. Maybe so--I'm no scientist so I can't judge that. But I have listened to more than one interview where Chinese virologist, Dr Li-Meng Yan claims the virus was made in the Wuhan lab.

And juried publications from geneticists all over the world say it can't have been made in a lab.

Escaped from a lab? Yes. Scientifically impossible for this specific bit of RNA, with its particular backbone, could have been in a lab. It existed before this and has been fotund in bats in an identical form - but that's not the only problem.

Why would China "invent" an already-existing virus that they themselves had documented?

Its killer effects were not completely known.

Did it jump from bats to humans? Did it escape from the lab? Did some nefarious international conspiracy bribe the Chinese lab and buy it?

Stay tuned. But it was not made in a lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann