GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @sds71 - don't know if @watergirl62 is around - can you get into Glynn County? Looking for: Glynn County #CR-2000433 for all three

Maybe the next court date. There should be one soon on bond reduction for the McMichaels I believe.

TIA! if you can! :)

“Both McMichaels attorneys filed legal motions last month asking a judge to grant them bond so they can be released from jail pending trial. They’re still awaiting a decision”

*mcmichaels attorneys also filed another bond motion on 9/1 so I don’t think the hearing date has been set.
https://www.glynncounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/67617/16-Supplement-to-Motion-for-Bond

And all the attorneys filed motions to extend discovery and it some things were granted. I’ll keep looking.

A. DISCOVERY:
1. Defendants' deadline for providing discovery to the State shall be October
30 2020. B. MOTIONS:
1. Defendants' deadline forfiling pre-trial motions shall be November 30 M.
2. All responsive pleadings shall be filed by December 31 2020.
The remaining terms set forth in the original Scheduling Order are unchanged by this amendment.
https://www.glynncounty.org/Documen...ond-Amendment-to-Scheduling-Order-Filed-82820

George Floyd (and Ahmaud Arbery) murder trials to be broadcast on UK TV channel

Another forthcoming case on Court TV centres around three white men accused of murder in the death of Ahmaud Arbery, a Black man who was shot while jogging through his south Georgia neighbourhood.

The forthcoming trial is one of the highlights promoted by the production company behind Court TV, which launched on Wednesday on Sky.

“We anticipate viewers in the UK will embrace having a front-row seat to American criminal justice.”

Trial coverage will air at primetime in the UK to allow for the time difference between the UK and US.

Court TV is planning content for the UK to explain the differences between the two countries’ justice systems, including why cameras are allowed in courtrooms in the US, but not in the UK.

The letter calls for the Georgia State Bar to investigate to the two prosecutors for conflict of interest and misconduct.
I think this is a great approach.

Criminal charges against the two prosecutors seem to have a steep hill to climb as the State must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that their neglect of duty was willful. The must be willful component then allows for the easy defense of "Being an incompetent DA, teacher, meat inspector is not illegal".

But.... BAR discipline is administrative. Though there is a burden of proof required, it is probably not "beyond a reasonable doubt".

The record of Bar discipline in my state suggests a significantly lower burden of proof in many cases, and could just be: "demonstrated good reason to believe that attorney "A" did ethics violation "X" ". I bet this standard can be quickly shown regarding the two prosecutors.

Wondering when the bond hearing for the McMichaels will be? on 8/6/20 they had 20 days to set hearing - ??

@sds71 - I have your name in my notes - anything in the court site? TIA! :)

Wondering when the bond hearing for the McMichaels will be? on 8/6/20 they had 20 days to set hearing - ??

@sds71 - I have your name in my notes - anything in the court site? TIA! :)

i haven't seen anything but on 9/11 Bryan's attorney filed a demand for a speedy trial:

Defendant demands the State’s strict compliance with the terms of O.C.G.A. 17-7-171, such that nothing set forth herein shall be construed as waiver of any of Defendant’s rights under said statute. Defendant also hereby challenges the constitutionality and authority 0f any Executive Order, Emergency Judicial Order or other court order t0 the extent that same purports t0 suspend or waive Mr. Bryan’s statutory speedy trial rights or suspend or toll the time frame set forth by statute for trial.

https://www.glynncounty.org/Documen...--Statutory-Speedy-Trial-Demand---Filed-91120

State wants racist posts in evidence to show motive in Arbery case

One reason to allow the evidence: “proof of motive.”

Prosecutors said they want to introduce into evidence against Travis McMichael a “racial highway video Facebook post,” “a Racial Johnny Rebel Facebook post” and a racial text message, all posted or sent in 2019. They seek to admit into evidence an “Identity Dixie Facebook post” and “Racial Johnny Rebel Facebook post” against Greg McMichael.

They also want to introduce unspecified racist messages extracted from Bryan’s cellphone. At a bond hearing in July, lead prosecutor Jesse Evans said Bryan repeatedly used the n-word in texts that contain “a ton of filth.”

GBI agent Richard Dial also previously testified that Bryan told investigators he heard Travis McMichael say the expletive-laden epithet, “f---ing n-word,” as he stood over the dying Arbery.

In a separate court filing, prosecutors also asked Superior Court Judge Timothy Walmsley to prohibit the defense from introducing bad character evidence about Arbery at trial. This includes his past convictions, prior encounters with law enforcement and his mental health history, they said. Such evidence, the motion said, is “irrelevant and inadmissible as to the issues in this case, including the issues of self-defense.”

No trial date has been set because of the coronavirus pandemic, and all three defendants remain in jail.

They also want to introduce unspecified racist messages extracted from Bryan’s cellphone. At a bond hearing in July, lead prosecutor Jesse Evans said Bryan repeatedly used the n-word in texts that contain “a ton of filth.”

If there is evidence that racism played a part in the decision to confront the victim, or that racisism determined how the victim was confronted, it needs to be presented to the jury. Any indications of racism should sink Bryan's defense.

Bryans defense seems to be centered on making a presentation that it is all the fault of McMichaels. This could involve presenting himself as an unsophisticated individual who believed that Mc Michael senior had been "re-deuputized". Bryan then agreed to assist (reluctantly of course) after being approached by McMichael. In pursuing the victim, Bryan only acted on Mc Michaels orders and briefly attempted to corner the victim.

The GBI has already stated that Bryan was charged because he had either actively advocated that the victim be confronted and agreed to assist.

That alone would detract from a defense. Mix that with documented racism and it should make a successful "l was not really involved, the other guy is the ring leader" defense impossible.

I suspect that the judge will split the baby, allowing the racial cell phone text messages but disallow the social media postings. Which would still sink ole Roddie's innocent bystander not a racist stance. If he exchanged racial text messages with either of his cohorts that right there belies his whole 'I saw Travis standing over the body and say a racial epitaph' stance. That stance is a clear to distance himself from the day's events. Those text exchanges, along with his active participation in the chase, bely his role as "just a shocked observer" of those events.

However IF the judge does as I except and disallows the social media posts of the McMichaels, it does help their case while leaving Bryan swinging in the wind.

But just two weeks ago, prosecutors notified the court they intend to introduce trial evidence of past racial slurs investigators found on Roddie Bryan's phone. A warning that the language is graphic:

A text sent from Roddie Bryan's number on Martin Luther King Day this year reads: "I bet ya'll are truly having a ****** Parade over there." And the racial slurs don't stop there, though Gough says the texts are being taken out of context.

"I've got multiple pages of him using the N-word. And that doesn't make him a racist?" Villafranca asked. "No, sir," said Gough. "Do you use that word?" Villafranca later inquired. "I mean, feel free to use it on national TV right now, Kevin. If you think, 'Eh, it can be put-- it can be used in a proper context.'" "It's not a word I would use," Gough responded. "But I'm not Roddie Bryan."
Explosive texts found on phone of suspect in Georgia jogger murder case

Was just coming to update the thread but sds71 was on top of it.

****** also just want to note that I starred out a word in the above snipped from the article above. It wasn't the N word but even so, I wasn't comfortable leaving it in because I personally found it offensive and wouldn't want to offend others.

Finally!!

Bond Hearing Scheduled For Defendants In Ahmaud Arbery Killing

Oct. 8, 2020

A bond hearing has been scheduled for two of the three white men charged with murdering Ahmaud Arbery, a black man who was jogging through their neighborhood.

Father and son Gregory and Travis McMichael are scheduled to appear in court Nov. 12. They and another man, William "Roddie" Bryan, each face nine counts on charges including malice murder and felony murder.

At the same time, the judge is set to hear several motions that lawyers for both sides have filed.

Those include a request by the prosecutors for the court to look into possible conflicts of interest among the defense attorneys. The motion points to evidence that the separate lawyers for Travis and Gregory McMichael are working closely together.

The judge next month will also hear motions from the defense team to quash some of the charges.

I watched the 48 hours episode. Most shocking to me, and maybe I already knew it but forgot, but the fact that the video taken by Roddie was given to LE the very day, immediately after the incident just blows me away. The fact that that video was in the hands of LE same day and this case was shoved under the rug based on McMichael's long past relationship with LE and the DA's office is so disturbing and disgraceful IMO.

Hearing set for next month in Ahmaud Arbery case

A hearing for Travis McMichael, Greg McMichael, and William Bryan will be held Nov. 12. at 10 a.m. in front of Judge Timothy Walmsley in Brunswick.

The following matters will be addressed:
  • Petitions for Bond (Travis McMichaeI and Greg McMichaeI)
  • Special Demurrers Nos. 1-8
  • Joint Motion for Deposition of Larry English
  • State’s Motion for Ex—Parte Hearing
  • Motion to Enjoin the State
The McMichaels and Bryan are currently charged with nine counts each, including felony murder and malice murder. All three pleaded not guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz