Found Deceased FL - Stephanie Chitwood Hollingsworth, 50, Belle Isle, 25 Sept 2020

Rachael Krause@RKrause_News

A number of neighbors tell me they didn’t see or hear anything unusual in the days and weeks before Hollingsworth’s truck was found in this pond Saturday. The pond sits in front of a busy trail along Dowden Road, with bicyclists and joggers coming past regularly
@MyNews13

7:57 AM · Oct 18, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Next to the pond where missing Belle Isle mom Stephanie Hollingsworth’s truck was found on Saturday, friends have set out flowers and posters this morning
@MyNews13

7:48 AM · Oct 18, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

This is the pond where Stephanie Hollingsworth’s missing truck was found Saturday. The Belle Isle mom has been missing since Sept. 25. Inside the truck, investigators found a body but police have not made an identification yet.
@MyNews13

7:46 AM · Oct 18, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
Being from the north, we have no retention ponds and few small bodies of water. Looking at the pictures of these ponds seem surrounded by a decent area of land surrounding. It is hard to comprehend how a vehicle could end up in and submerged accidentally short of traveling at a high speed. I believe it could happen but without a frame of reference I am clueless. What am I not getting?

Although I’m not blaming Covid, we all have our issues and regardless there is no doubt that the pandemic related circumstances may have played a roll in her difficulties. God Bless Stephanie and her family and people who loved her.

I was hoping against hope in my last post. Though so many people's theory of her going off the road into water really did make the most sense weeks later. I was so sorry to see the headline in the NY paper last night. I would like to offer my prayers for strength and condolences to her husband and her sons, the rest of her family and friends.

WFTV news video from earlier this morning. First time I have seen the tire tracks on the road. Still waiting for identification of body inside vehicle. https://twitter.com/i/status/1318127542172352512
Oh wow. I couldn''t watch that whole thing.. It is just way too awful and sad. I had no idea about all of these type of ponds around that area of Florida. Just all too sad.

Although I’m not blaming Covid, we all have our issues and regardless there is no doubt that the pandemic related circumstances may have played a roll in her difficulties. God Bless Stephanie and her family and people who loved her.
It is very much true that COVID got everyone on edge and made things worse for those who were already dealing with other issues. It does seem like Stephanie had issues prior to COVID, and was trying really hard to stay positive as of late. I'm not getting a suicide vibe though.

It is very much true that COVID got everyone on edge and made things worse for those who were already dealing with other issues. It does seem like Stephanie had issues prior to COVID, and was trying really hard to stay positive as of late. I'm not getting a suicide vibe though.

I thought suicide weeks ago. But now I'm not so sure. Seems she really was trying so hard in her life. So beyond sad.

WFTV news video from earlier this morning. First time I have seen the tire tracks on the road. Still waiting for identification of body inside vehicle. https://twitter.com/i/status/1318127542172352512
I heard mention of tire tracks, but didn’t see them. It always amazes me in so many searches for missing people, how many signs just aren’t seen- until they’re seen. Family, friends, LE, & community prob drove by there many times looking for Stephanie, but never saw those tracks. Prob time of day, dew, mist, rain- all impact the appearance of tracks in grass. So dang hard to see even when you’re relentlessly searching. I’m glad the search is over & so sorry for the immense loss.

Being from the north, we have no retention ponds and few small bodies of water. Looking at the pictures of these ponds seem surrounded by a decent area of land surrounding. It is hard to comprehend how a vehicle could end up in and submerged accidentally short of traveling at a high speed. I believe it could happen but without a frame of reference I am clueless. What am I not getting?
Retention ponds/lakes are required for land development. Florida is very flat so the land level must be raised in order for the water to flow. The dirt from the ponds is spread up on the land, and other fill dirt is brought in, to raise the land to what the county requires.

Think of the Everglades and how the canals were dug in the early 1900s to drain the land for the development of crop land (sugar cane), supporting businesses, and I-75 (Alligator Alley). It's the same concept when a developer wants to build out land for businesses or housing.

I heard mention of tire tracks, but didn’t see them. It always amazes me in so many searches for missing people, how many signs just aren’t seen- until they’re seen. Family, friends, LE, & community prob drove by there many times looking for Stephanie, but never saw those tracks. Prob time of day, dew, mist, rain- all impact the appearance of tracks in grass. So dang hard to see even when you’re relentlessly searching. I’m glad the search is over & so sorry for the immense loss.
Totally agree that signs are sometimes overlooked. I wonder if tire tracks are common on that part of the road. There are a few places in my area that are like that whether from young drivers testing the limits or people unfamiliar with the road.

Retention ponds/lakes are required for land development. Florida is very flat so the land level must be raised in order for the water to flow. The dirt from the ponds is spread up on the land, and other fill dirt is brought in, to raise the land to what the county requires.

Think of the Everglades and how the canals were dug in the early 1900s to drain the land for the development of crop land (sugar cane), supporting businesses, and I-75 (Alligator Alley). It's the same concept when a developer wants to build out land for businesses or housing.
Thank you for that explanation. Very helpful! Do you know if these ponds immediately drop off into deep water or is it a gradual incline? Maybe it's the maps I am looking at but it appears the are not directly off the road. Would this mean a person would have to be traveling fast. Not sure why I am stuck on this but would love to understand. I know it happens a lot since looking it up. TIA

I'm so very sad to read the news. Although I had little hope of happy ending, they do happen. (Holly in Zion was found alive!) And as someone who has struggled with alcoholism in the past and is close to her age, I totally empathize and my heart breaks for her family.

I don't think suicide at all. Just tragic accident. These are tough times for many, and I understand the dilemma many have when thinking about treatment, especially if they have families they are responsible for - "I can't go away for that long", "I'll just stop myself, I can do this" etc, etc., it sometimes takes a serious consequence to force our hand. I wish she had been able to find her way to recovery sooner. (Assuming of course that alcohol played a role in her accident).

Last edited:
Thank you for that explanation. Very helpful! Do you know if these ponds immediately drop off into deep water or is it a gradual incline? Maybe it's the maps I am looking at but it appears the are not directly off the road. Would this mean a person would have to be traveling fast. Not sure why I am stuck on this but would love to understand. I know it happens a lot since looking it up. TIA
Most I've seen are a gradual decline to the center. Depth would depend on the sea level of the land and how much water would need to be drained during a catastrophic event (hurricane). Most are very shallow but have very high sides. During the dry season (winter) the water table is quite low and the pond may dry out. During the rainy season (summer) the ponds are usually over 1/2 full. If it's a deep pond, fencing will be required. Most retention ponds don't have fencing.

It seems there is always a pond on a curve along a road because developers don't want to waste precious land. Drivers simply don't slow down. They go airborne, hence no tire tracks, and sink in the water. The impact may distribute debris along the edge so that is something searchers would look for. Like trash, an old toy covered in algae, car parts, etc.

Most I've seen are a gradual decline to the center. Depth would depend on the sea level of the land and how much water would need to be drained during a catastrophic event (hurricane). Most are very shallow but have very high sides. During the dry season (winter) the water table is quite low and the pond may dry out. During the rainy season (summer) the ponds are usually over 1/2 full. If it's a deep pond, fencing will be required. Most retention ponds don't have fencing.

It seems there is always a pond on a curve along a road because developers don't want to waste precious land. Drivers simply don't slow down. They go airborne, hence no tire tracks, and sink in the water. The impact may distribute debris along the edge so that is something searchers would look for. Like trash, an old toy covered in algae, car parts, etc.
Thanks for taking the time to give a great explanation! Got it!. Assuming SH was the one in the vehicle the possibility of the tire tracks being hers could make self harm less likely. So glad we don't have retention ponds in my area! Thanks again!

From News13 tweets, it seems this pond is located in a heavily traveled area of Dowden Rd (near the 417) -- not a quiet self-harm location IMO. I truly think this was accidental and sorry for SH's struggle with addiction.

How could no one have seen this happen? I don’t see how it could have happened during daylight hours.

This is part of Federal wetland mitigation for the Clean Water Act. Every newer development in a wet area in the USA has to set aside land for drainage as set forth in 1990 & amended in 2008. The flooding you see in cities/areas without this (like Houston), were built out before these regs were in place & can’t handle drainage at all. The Act focuses exclusively on water & drainage & never took safety into account for populated areas. Although local ordinances could certainly address this. It adds much expense to development, so construction lobbies fight this like crazy.
Background about Compensatory Mitigation Requirements under CWA Section 404 | US EPA

I still remember Dr J's son and that horrific accident 20 years ago - I've always been extra careful driving near water and on routes unfamiliar because of that accident - poor kid.
DR. J'S SON, 19, FOUND DEAD
snipped
An investigator and three residents dragged a retention pond at the west end of Alaqua Lakes. About 4:15 p.m. Thursday Cory Erving's body was discovered inside his submerged car.

This is part of Federal wetland mitigation for the Clean Water Act. Every newer development in a wet area in the USA has to set aside land for drainage as set forth in 1990 & amended in 2008. The flooding you see in cities/areas without this (like Houston), were built out before these regs were in place & can’t handle drainage at all. The Act focuses exclusively on water & drainage & never took safety into account for populated areas. Although local ordinances could certainly address this. It adds much expense to development, so construction lobbies fight this like crazy.
Background about Compensatory Mitigation Requirements under CWA Section 404 | US EPA
Thank you for sharing. A brief review of "why" is both sad and enlightening. With so much information it is quite possible I am missing something but an hour worth of searching the site and subject doesn't turn up one reference concerning safety of the public. It's amazing that Florida has strict safety laws about fencing swimming pools off yet has these completely open ponds. If a person drowns in someones swimming pool they can end up going to prison for life. If someone drowns in one of these "ponds" there is no accountability or liability. It's crazy. Thanks again for sharing!
ETA: just came across this. Interesting: Parents of 2-year-old who drowned in pond file wrongful death lawsuit

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back