Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate cooking fails. I remember some from decades ago that were so awful I'll never forget them.

Just curious: Who cleaned up? At our house, the spouse who does not cook the meal does the cleanup chores.

At least the non-meat-or-starch dishes turned out great! :)

Yeah, he cleaned. That is why I love my Instant Pot, cook everything in there. It is never undercooked, and only messes up one pan.

OMG! How on earth do you manage?!

I have a slow-cooker that I rarely use. My sister told me a couple of weeks ago that hers (a gift from DH and I several years ago) is no longer working, so I told her that she can have mine. Her microwave also shorted out a couple of months ago, so DH and I will probably get her a small one for Christmas. Slow-cooking has never been my thing. I truly enjoy the process of cooking from scratch - stirring, tasting, adjusting seasonings, etc. Slow-cooker is in the back of a cabinet, and I rarely even think about it. I don't even remember the last time I used it - probably a year ago :oops:

DH and I have both had some of my newly-baked cornbread. It is wonderful, and we both agree that it doesn't need sugar.

I have a slow-cooker that I rarely use. My sister told me a couple of weeks ago that hers (a gift from DH and I several years ago) is no longer working, so I told her that she can have mine. Her microwave also shorted out a couple of months ago, so DH and I will probably get her a small one for Christmas. Slow-cooking has never been my thing. I truly enjoy the process of cooking from scratch - stirring, tasting, adjusting seasonings, etc. Slow-cooker is in the back of a cabinet, and I rarely even think about it. I don't remember the last time I used it - probably a year ago :oops:
I do too. To my son's outrage, we dont even have a microwave :eek:.

If I'm in the mood, I find cooking very therapeutic and I like the kind of alchemy of baking. Today I made a new thing for me, an apple cake. I put apple pie spices in it so the house smelled really nice too. Keeps my mind occupied for a while, its a big help with all the virus worry.

Mr HKP was watching a Western in front of the fire. He was v happy to have a slice of warm apple cake. Everyone's a winner :D

Mary Berry

The spices arent in the recipe, I added them as an extra

My Lima beans are done. I was so busy I forgot to add spices. They were a tad bland with just the veggie broth. So I took them out of the crockpot and added salt, pepper, onion and garlic. I will let them sit overnight in the fridge and they should be tasty. Then tomorrow I’ll make my cornbread to go with them.

I wondered what you were going to do w/all those lima beans lol.

Lima beans arent something we usually ate around my house....but I do like them.

Love lima beans here. Left overs are great for making succotash with corn and tomatoes. And then there are butter beans, the adult version, good with pickled pepper hot sauce and corn bread. Y'all are becoming good southern cooks and I approve this message.

I wondered what you were going to do w/all those lima beans lol.

Lima beans arent something we usually ate around my house....but I do like them.
My youngest stopped by to get some last night. I said I didn’t have enough of your stuff to make your cornbread. You’ll have to make your own. She looked at the bowl of beans and said “I am not even waiting.” LOL! She’s worked 7 days in a row, was exhausted and hungry. Her plan was to shovel them in and then go to bed.

I have a small ham steak to have with mine. Yum.

I baked cornbread today for the first time ever. Haven't tasted it yet, but it looks perfect :) I followed the recipe from the November issue of Food Network Magazine but ended up taking advice from some here and omitted the sugar. I think the cornbread will be a delicious accompaniment to my homemade chili.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/basic-cornbread-1-9455884

Sacrilege from a southerner not to add a little sugar. :p:D

As to all the chili comments, the only way to eat chili is for EACH and every bite is to spoon on a ritz cracker or a saltine.

Darn it though :oops::( I am going to have to stop doing it now that I'm in my 60's as too many carbs. But that used to be my joyful way to eat chili.

As to all the chili comments, the only way to eat chili is for EACH and every bite is to spoon on a ritz cracker or a saltine.

Darn it though :oops::( I am going to have to stop doing it now that I'm in my 60's as too many carbs. But that used to be my joyful way to eat chili.

Yeah, we cook without salt. No saltines in this house. My husband loves Ramen. Try that without salt. But he uses chili oil.

I sure don't want to be a sinner and will add a little sugar the next time I make cornbread :D Have you tried Nabisco Premium Mini-Saltines? They are so good, and I think a serving is 17 of the crunchy little bites. Great in chili or soup and a perfect snack.

Love lima beans here. Left overs are great for making succotash with corn and tomatoes. And then there are butter beans, the adult version, good with pickled pepper hot sauce and corn bread. Y'all are becoming good southern cooks and I approve this message.

I love lima beans too and buy them at our local farmers market. I blanch and freeze them and we enjoy them all winter. Last week I bought some larger beans that are shaped like limas but are more colorful, not just green. I blanched and froze those too, wish I'd just cooked some of them fully so I could see what they taste like. Our market is tomorrow so will ask the vendor about the variety--she told me and I promptly forgot. I tried to upload a photo but it's too large.

We don't have an instant pot (or even a crockpot), although sometimes I think we should get one.

I’ve got a Dutch oven which I really enjoy, and can slow stew in it nicely on the stove also use it in the oven. They are cast iron enameled with ceramic. You can brown and simmer, bake, whatever you want. I’m currently making Colorado style green chile in it right now (a favorite staple past, present and definitely future).

Last edited:
Oh remember when we were all craving pancakes during the March lockdown and none of us had any? Lol. I was sure to my some mix as well as stuff to make banana bread, etc. (Almond flour, gluten free)

I sure don't want to be a sinner and will add a little sugar the next time I make cornbread :D Have you tried Nabisco Premium Mini-Saltines? They are so good, and I think a serving is 17 of the crunchy little bites. Great in chili or soup and a perfect snack.

I just discovered Simple Mills gluten free crackers and I am beyond overjoyed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member