Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shared this earlier in thread. I make it once a year - on or near St. Patrick's Day.

My Shepherd's Pie is just that - my version of the classic savory pie. There are hundreds of recipes, British, Irish, and Scottish versions, and each has its own tweaks. Shepherd's Pie is always made with lamb (ground or chunks), but if you're not a fan of lamb, you can make it with beef or turkey. Technically, though, if it's not made with lamb or a combination of beef and lamb, it's actually called Cottage Pie.

This recipe is probably closest to my version, and I substitute beer for the beef or chicken stock :D I also top the potatoes with shredded Irish cheddar cheese and a few dots of butter for browning. Bon Appetit!

Shepherd's Pie

Thanks for sharing your recipe. We are not fans of cabbage, but we liked the Colcannon that I made last year with kale. Adding crispy bacon didn't hurt, either ;)
The first time I ever heard of colcannon, a friend and I were at an upscale Irish pub here in Indiana. Our first (and only) visit there and our server was a little snooty. When we placed our order she named off the side choices, and she mentioned colcannon. We didn’t know what it was, and so we asked her. She practically sneered and her body language made us perfectly aware that she thought we were clueless. She said, “This is an IRISH pub and COLCANNON is what IRISH people call MASHED POTATOES. COLCANNON means MASHED POTATOES.”

We didn’t order them but her response made me curious and I looked up some colcannon recipes, which of course were more than mashed potatoes. The recipes sounded really good so I made some just a few days later. If I ever have some extra kale on hand I like to make colcannon.

I shared this earlier in thread. I make it once a year - on or near St. Patrick's Day.

My Shepherd's Pie is just that - my version of the classic savory pie. There are hundreds of recipes, British, Irish, and Scottish versions, and each has its own tweaks. Shepherd's Pie is always made with lamb (ground or chunks), but if you're not a fan of lamb, you can make it with beef or turkey. Technically, though, if it's not made with lamb or a combination of beef and lamb, it's actually called Cottage Pie.

This recipe is probably closest to my version, and I substitute beer for the beef or chicken stock :D I also top the potatoes with shredded Irish cheddar cheese and a few dots of butter for browning. Bon Appetit!

Shepherd's Pie
This is close to how I make it too. I dont eat lamb, so it's cottage pie here and a Sunday favourite for Mr HKP. Served with green veg.

It's a good Sunday option because you can put it all together and put it in the oven. Give the kitchen a quick clean up while the extra veg is cooking.

We had beef stew tonight, first time since sometime last spring, I guess. It was good and there is plenty for another meal or more. I used onion, garlic, beef broth, red wine, carrots, and mushrooms in the stew and made mashed potatoes.

DH used to do quite a bit of the cooking, but he seems to have retired from cooking in the last few years. So I cook and he cleans up (sort of ;). He still grills, though.

Hope y'all are having a nice Halloween.

Attachments

• A82C173D-37DE-4ED0-8745-72CB0207FE73.jpeg
    A82C173D-37DE-4ED0-8745-72CB0207FE73.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 12
As it's All Souls' Day we had a traditional breakfast of boxty this morning. Boxty is kind of like an Irish potato pancake and was a staple peasant food in the northwest of the country, where it's still hugely popular.
What makes boxty different from other types of Irish potato cakes/bread is that it mixes grated raw potato with leftover mashed potato. The raw potato gives it a deliciously crispy texture and it is lighter and less doughy than potato bread or cakes.
We bought our boxty ready made in the supermarket as it's widely available here but it's easy enough to make from scratch. Buttermilk is commonly used instead of fresh milk. It can be made without the eggs and dairy too. You can use flax and soya or oat milk to bind it. Making good boxty used to be taken very seriously here, so much so that this little (sexist) ditty can still be heard occasionally:

Boxty on the griddle,
Boxty in the pan,
If you can't make boxty,
You'll never get your man.

Here's a pretty authentic basic recipe:
How to make boxty, traditional Irish potato cakes

As it's All Souls' Day we had a traditional breakfast of boxty this morning. Boxty is kind of like an Irish potato pancake and was a staple peasant food in the northwest of the country, where it's still hugely popular.
What makes boxty different from other types of Irish potato cakes/bread is that it mixes grated raw potato with leftover mashed potato. The raw potato gives it a deliciously crispy texture and it is lighter and less doughy than potato bread or cakes.
We bought our boxty ready made in the supermarket as it's widely available here but it's easy enough to make from scratch. Buttermilk is commonly used instead of fresh milk. It can be made without the eggs and dairy too. You can use flax and soya or oat milk to bind it. Making good boxty used to be taken very seriously here, so much so that this little (sexist) ditty can still be heard occasionally:

Boxty on the griddle,
Boxty in the pan,
If you can't make boxty,

Love this Mo :D

I have this in my head from our Friday night dinner. One my great grandad used to sing...

I love a sausage, a bonny bonny sausage, a bonny bonny bonny bonny saus-age!

(It wont win a Pulitzer but ahhhh childhood memories)

Roast beef here today. Doing the English thang!

Love this Mo :D

I have this in my head from our Friday night dinner. One my great grandad used to sing...

I love a sausage, a bonny bonny sausage, a bonny bonny bonny bonny saus-age!

(It wont win a Pulitzer but ahhhh childhood memories)

Roast beef here today. Doing the English thang!
Ha that bonny sausage song is pure poetry! I'm sure it brings back lovely memories. Enjoy your Sunday lunch!

Boxty on the griddle,
Boxty in the pan,
If you can't make boxty,

Yes, our favorite Irish restaurant has a menu with several versions of Boxty. Love it. My favorite is the Turkey Reuben Boxty.

Boxty on the griddle,
Boxty in the pan,
If you can't make boxty,

I love boxty! I like to add a bit of chives to the mix. My mother (who was a self admitted terrible cook) used to make mashed potato pancakes when I was a child. Usually this was the day after she boiled potatoes for dinner. Her version however was just the potatoes, a little milk and an egg. I loved them anyway.

My Irish father was the cook in my home. An AMAZING cook! He passed away when I was seven (cancer), but I still have memories of his warmth, love & food. Finnan Haddie was my absolute favorite! He was my inspiration and the reason I have such a love of cooking.

Thank you all for sharing these wonderful foods that you enjoy. They sure bring back warm memories.

I love boxty! I like to add a bit of chives to the mix. My mother (who was a self admitted terrible cook) used to make mashed potato pancakes when I was a child. Usually this was the day after she boiled potatoes for dinner. Her version however was just the potatoes, a little milk and an egg. I loved them anyway.

My Irish father was the cook in my home. An AMAZING cook! He passed away when I was seven (cancer), but I still have memories of his warmth, love & food. Finnan Haddie was my absolute favorite! He was my inspiration and the reason I have such a love of cooking.

Thank you all for sharing these wonderful foods that you enjoy. They sure bring back warm memories.
Chives are great in boxty! I adore chives. I grow them in the garden and garnish pretty much everything I eat with a sprinkling. Your mother's mashed potato pancakes sound great too. My grandmother made something similar for us when I was a child. It's lovely that Irish food brings back such warm memories of your dad for you. It is definitely comfort food for a reason.

Chives are great in boxty! I adore chives. I grow them in the garden and garnish pretty much everything I eat with a sprinkling. Your mother's mashed potato pancakes sound great too. My grandmother made something similar for us when I was a child. It's lovely that Irish food brings back such warm memories of your dad for you. It is definitely comfort food for a reason.
The other thing about chives. When it was hard to buy spring bedding plants, my little chive plant in its pot outside had amazing lilac allium pom pom flowers. I was so happy to have those little flowers!

The other thing about chives. When it was hard to buy spring bedding plants, my little chive plant in its pot outside had amazing lilac allium pom pom flowers. I was so happy to have those little flowers!
Oh yes the pink flowers are so beautiful! Towards the end of the summer I pick the flower heads and sprinkle them on salads. They're delicious and look lovely as a garnish. But I leave them for a good while before picking because they are just so pretty to look at growing in the garden.

I just love being able to go outside and pick fresh herbs, fruits and veggies. :) My children bought me an aero garden a couple of years ago for Christmas. I grow herbs in it during the winter. It's nice to have fresh herbs on hand. I find that for some reason the flavor isn't the same (much milder) as herbs grown outside but they are still tasty, I just need to use more.

I just love being able to go outside and pick fresh herbs, fruits and veggies. :) My children bought me an aero garden a couple of years ago for Christmas. I grow herbs in it during the winter. It's nice to have fresh herbs on hand. I find that for some reason the flavor isn't the same (much milder) as herbs grown outside but they are still tasty, I just need to use more.
Fresh garden herbs are a real joy but the aero garden sounds fantastic too, even if the flavours aren't as strong. It's lovely to have fresh herbs in winter. We had basil, coriander, dill, French parsley, lemon thyme and tarragon all summer. Now all we have left is the chives. They've been beaten around a bit by a bunch of storms lately but they're still going strong. We grew loads of tomatoes, strawberries, peas, broad beans, cucumbers and chillies too, and made batches of passata from the tomatoes we didn't get around to eating. Saved loads of dill seeds so I'll get pickling various things soon. We've harvested our potatoes and the Brussels sprouts are nearly ready. I do the sprouts in the oven with a balsamic glaze and a bit of black pepper and they're lovely. I definitely appreciate the garden this year more than ever, with all the pandemic lockdown weirdness we've had!

Fresh garden herbs are a real joy but the aero garden sounds fantastic too, even if the flavours aren't as strong. It's lovely to have fresh herbs in winter. We had basil, coriander, dill, French parsley, lemon thyme and tarragon all summer. Now all we have left is the chives. They've been beaten around a bit by a bunch of storms lately but they're still going strong. We grew loads of tomatoes, strawberries, peas, broad beans, cucumbers and chillies too, and made batches of passata from the tomatoes we didn't get around to eating. Saved loads of dill seeds so I'll get pickling various things soon. We've harvested our potatoes and the Brussels sprouts are nearly ready. I do the sprouts in the oven with a balsamic glaze and a bit of black pepper and they're lovely. I definitely appreciate the garden this year more than ever, with all the pandemic lockdown weirdness we've had!
I agree about enjoying the garden! I find that there is something very therapeutic about tending to my garden. Mine is about done for the year but I'm already making plans for next year!
I LOVE oven roasted Brussels sprouts!

Game Day! What are your favorite "Game Day" munchies?...

I just finished prepping turkey meatballs (with sundried tomatoes & feta) for dinner tonight. Meatballs are fun to eat, and I enjoy making them. It's much easier since I started baking them instead of the tedious process of cooking them in a skillet on top the stove. I haven't hosted any large "game day" gatherings, but I would probably do a medley of different types of meatballs with respective gravy or sauce accompaniment. Eat them on a plate or make a sandwich with slider buns, Kings Hawaiian rolls, dinner rolls, etc. Pizza bagels or English muffin pizzas are great, too, and I like to get guests involved in assembling them with their choice of sauce, cheese, toppings. Make-your-own deli sandwiches are a good choice, too: an assortment of sliced deli meats and cheeses, assorted bread/rolls, sliced tomatoes and red onion, lettuce, condiments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member