Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cranberry sauce is done and cooling on the stove. DH said it smells and tastes wonderful :) Once its cooled, I'll fish out the cinnamon stick, star anise, and whole cloves before storing in airtight container in the fridge. I'll clean up, then start on the turkey gravy.
I totally relate to your multi-tasking comment. I also get stressed and end up forgetting something. One thing at a time works for me too, and I do everything more slowly than I used to. And it's best if no one is in the kitchen talking to me. ;)

We have a TV in the kitchen that keeps me entertained while I'm cooking. There's a true crime Lifetime movie on at 2:00PM today, so I can watch it while I make the gravy :)

Cranberry sauce is done and cooling on the stove. DH said it smells and tastes wonderful :) Once its cooled, I'll fish out the cinnamon stick, star anise, and whole cloves before storing in airtight container in the fridge. I'll clean up, then start on the turkey gravy.

We have a TV in the kitchen that keeps me entertained while I'm cooking. There's a true crime Lifetime movie on at 2:00PM today, so I can watch it while I make the gravy :)

We have a small TV in the kitchen too, but I suspect it would prevent me from focusing properly on what I'm doing, like having another person in the room does! Might be OK if I'm doing something uncomplicated.

Your Thanksgiving prep is making me hungry--time for lunch!

Turkey gravy is done. When it cools, I will strain it into an airtight container and refrigerate until Thursday. If there are drippings from the turkey meatballs, I'll them to the gravy when reheating. Pork chops and roasted acorn squash for dinner tonight.

Thank you, BDE! Thank you!

Concerned that Food Network would broadcast a recipe without checking for food safety.

(The OP's op states "let the meat come to room temperature ( 4 hours ish )" which is outside the recommended limit of 2 hours.)

Readily available inexpensive thermometers:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/goodcook...rmometer/40711330?wl13=101&selectedSellerId=0

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-G...rmometer/912409454?wl13=21&selectedSellerId=0
This reminds me of how turkey dinners went at my grandma’s house. She would cook a huge turkey, packed with stuffing, as well as mashed potatoes, baked yams, corn casserole, and other sides. We would eat around noon, and she would dish up about half the stuffing and slice enough turkey to fill a platter.

After the meal was finished, she would leave the rest of the turkey carcass with stuffing inside, along with the rest of the leftovers on top of the stove and kitchen counters. Then for the rest of the day and evening everyone would wander in the kitchen and snack on the leftovers. We’d pull off some turkey to make a sandwich, and scoop out some dressing. Usually we would eat it cold, not bothering to hear it up :eek:

It was only after I started cooking my own turkey dinners that I realized how dangerous this was.

I have always scooped all the stuffing out of the turkey immediately after it is cool enough to handle. And my leftover go into the refrigerator while they are still warm.

I remember a method for baking a turkey that I heard about years ago, it was popular when I was first starting to cook but I never thought it sounded safe.

It involved cooking a turkey at 200 degrees for 12 hours. People who had tried it said it produced the most tender and juicy turkey, but it sounded like salmonella to me.

I did a quick search and found several revipe sites with the 200 degree oven overnight cooking method :eek:

Then I found this article from the Michigan State Extension

Downright unsafe ways to cook your turkey – Part 1

Slow-cooking overnight method

This method is dangerous and involves cooking the turkey at 190 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit overnight for 12 to 13 hours. A low oven temperature means the turkey will take longer to heat, increasing the risk of harmful bacteria growth and the production of poisons that may not be destroyed with further cooking.

Make it safe – The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) recommends temperatures no lower than 325 degrees Fahrenheit for cooking meat and poultry. Cook turkey to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.

I have never thought of macaroni and cheese as a Thanksgiving dish, deviled eggs either. But I love both!...

Mac & Cheese was never part of Thanksgiving dinner for my family, but we had it frequently on Fridays when we couldn't eat meat. We also never had Green Bean Casserole: Mom never cooked with canned soup. I never make Green Bean Casserole and don't particularly care for it. If we've had it for Thanksgiving in recent years, my sister is the one who makes it. We have deviled eggs for almost every family gathering, but I don't think they were part of our family Thanksgiving.

Turkey/stuffing meatball mixture is prepared and refrigerated. I'm taking a kitchen break before I start sauteeing the pierogis. After draining them on paper towel, I'll layer the pierogis in an aluminum baking pan, cover tightly with foil, and refrigerate. Reheat in oven for 25-30 minutes on Thursday. So yummy with sour cream :)

Mac & Cheese was never part of Thanksgiving dinner for my family, but we had it frequently on Fridays when we couldn't eat meat. We also never had Green Bean Casserole: Mom never cooked with canned soup. I never make Green Bean Casserole and don't particularly care for it. If we've had it for Thanksgiving in recent years, my sister is the one who makes it. We have deviled eggs for almost every family gathering, but I don't think they were part of our family Thanksgiving.

Turkey/stuffing meatball mixture is prepared and refrigerated. I'm taking a kitchen break before I start sauteeing the pierogis. After draining them on paper towel, I'll layer the pierogis in an aluminum baking pan, cover tightly with foil, and refrigerate. Reheat in oven for 25-30 minutes on Thursday. So yummy with sour cream :)

I really admire your organizational skills and I'm sure the food you prepare is wonderful! You and others on this thread inspire me.

We are going to share our Thanksgiving meal with friends (married couple) who are both dealing with health issues. He will drive over here Thursday afternoon and pick up the food. Doing this is helping get me in a holiday mood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member