Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe, for the purposes of this case, that "teal" and "baby blue" are indistinguishable. At a minimum when described by BM. In other words, I think when he said or wrote "baby blue" helmet he was referring to the same helmet shown in the missing poster and in MSM, which many of us would call "teal". I don't think he makes a distinction between those two colors.

MOO

IMO- I suspect many people don't care or make the distinction on colors. To them, it is just "blue, green, purple, red, yellow, black, white"....with some minor details.
MOO JMO

I think this case is likely connected with other criminal investigations including in Indiana. Likely the CCSO realized that very early, reached out to the FBI and that is why the FBI agreed to join the investigation so early (like on day 3, I think). Value your thoughts as to why the FBI agreed to join so readily.

Great question. I don’t recall it ever being stated why the FBI joined in. My assumption was that the FBI were invited in order to shore up limited investigative resources in the small town of Salida. And that violent crime was suspected.

What We Investigate | Federal Bureau of Investigation

jmo

IMO- I suspect many people don't care or make the distinction on colors. To them, it is just "blue, green, purple, red, yellow, black, white"....with some minor details.
MOO JMO
Similar to:
Agreeing with me and doing what I want is good, expected.
Disageeing with me and trying to negotiate is bad, unacceptable.

Great question. I don’t recall it ever being stated why the FBI joined in. My assumption was that the FBI were invited in order to shore up limited investigative resources in the small town of Salida. And that violent crime was suspected.

jmo

It was stated why, just days after she went missing:

"Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, including the Chaffee County Search and Rescue North and South, continue to search for Suzanne Morphew (age 49), who was reported missing on May 10, 2020. In addition to efforts by the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office and assistance from local and regional partners, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) have been requested to provide resources to aid in the effort. Anyone with information about Ms. Morphew’s disappearance is asked to call a designated tip line (719-312-7530). Investigators have received dozens of tips since Ms. Morphew went missing."

Search continues for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

MOO JMO

I’ve looked and looked and wondered about that note. From the words to the why and everything in between. Sometimes I wonder if he was referring to the bike as in “baby blue bike”, helmet, and biking clothing. Yes, I know the bike had been found at that point. But if one were looking for leads, if anyone had seen Suzanne on a supposed ride, she may have been on a baby blue bike. I think if a person said blue bike or blue helmet, it would not be the same in our mind’s eye as baby blue or turquoise. I do wonder about how Thanksgiving went this year-and where.

I’ve looked and looked and wondered about that note. From the words to the why and everything in between. Sometimes I wonder if he was referring to the bike as in “baby blue bike”, helmet, and biking clothing. Yes, I know the bike had been found at that point. But if one were looking for leads, if anyone had seen Suzanne on a supposed ride, she may have been on a baby blue bike. I think if a person said blue bike or blue helmet, it would not be the same in our mind’s eye as baby blue or turquoise. I do wonder about how Thanksgiving went this year-and where.

I suspect, IMO, like so many others here, feel he wrote that note simply because he was caught in the act of digging in the trash. Make his behavior more legitimate and all. Not like he could tell the truth what he was actually doing. JMO

I suspect, IMO, like so many others here, feel he wrote that note simply because he was caught in the act of digging in the trash. Make his behavior more legitimate and all. Not like he could tell the truth what he was actually doing. JMO

And....oddly enough, BM gave NO description of the missing person, “the love of his life” Suzanne! Seems like he wasn’t expecting anyone to find her, just the planted evidence was heavy on his mind. Why, oh why had the planted evidence been missed! It was important for the “evidence” to be found to further his narrative of abduction, mountain lion, confused and fell in the water, which ever story he was using that LE would grab hold of! Problem was, LE didn’t believe any of it! I hope he’s sweating bullets! MOO

jmo

The legal platform for rapid FBI participation is the "Lindbergh Law" (Federal Statute (48 Stat. 781) which allows that if a missing person is not found within the first 24 hours, it can be presumed for investigative purposes that the person has been taken against their will across state lines. All it takes from there is an invitation, which the CCSO obviously tendered early. IMO, IANAL
Lindbergh Act

The legal platform for rapid FBI participation is the "Lindbergh Law" (Federal Statute (48 Stat. 781) which allows that if a missing person is not found within the first 24 hours, it can be presumed for investigative purposes that the person has been taken against their will across state lines. All it takes from there is an invitation, which the CCSO obviously tendered early. IMO, IANAL
Lindbergh Act

The link you provided doesn't actually say what you've posted here. Can you please provide a link that describes what you're referring to?

ETA: from the very little I've read, this federal statute specifically applies kidnapping cases that cross state lines. It doesn't mention anything at all about missing persons cases or LE investigators "presuming" kidnapping across state lines in a missing persons case, just to get the FBI involved.

"An Act forbidding the transportation of any person in interstate or foreign commerce, kidnapped, or otherwise unlawfully detained, and making such act a felony." Federal Kidnapping Act - Wikipedia

Last edited:
MOO JMO

My own research shows that in observing real world details, women make *way* more color distinctions than men do. ;)

Exceptions on both sides - but some of the color terms women know are rare in the male vocabulary. I'm not the only one to find this - sex differences in terms are quite common.

BTW, if the helmet is the one Suzanne was pictured wearing, it's not "baby blue," ha. But that's how BM thought it was described I guess.

My own research shows that in observing real world details, women make *way* more color distinctions than men do. ;)

Exceptions on both sides - but some of the color terms women know are rare in the male vocabulary. I'm not the only one to find this - sex differences in terms are quite common.

BTW, if the helmet is the one Suzanne was pictured wearing, it's not "baby blue," ha. But that's how BM thought it was described I guess.

Yes. That^^^ You worded it much better than I could. Simple an explanation as it is....my brain no longer works as well as it used to. JMO

MOO.
BMs answers questions with indirect, deflective, some what plausible responses that are stand alone true.
Such as:
"She was the love of my life."
"This is tearing our life apart."
It must annoy and focus police interviewers.

The more I read is the more my thoughts go in the opposite direction, From the small bits I know..
-Sheriff has experience and determination ref @steeltowngirl post about the old case, a few posts up
- they must have had strong suspicions from the outset- no public request.
- they've got the best evidence teams on the planet assisting, FBI....
I reckon they will do it okay. I'm not sure how many others will be pulled in on the same haul... length of time is niggling me to wonder if it's not part of a wider chain or even organisational... he could well have had help!

There is something going on. Local friends of his are creepy defensive about looking for her.

Lindbergh Act

Across state lines? I don't recall that it was assumed she was taken across state lines. Can you please clarify your quote?

Across St. Lines; Ransom?
The legal platform for rapid FBI participation is the "Lindbergh Law" (Federal Statute (48 Stat. 781) which allows that if a missing person is not found within the first 24 hours, it can be presumed for investigative purposes that the person has been taken against their will across state lines. All it takes from there is an invitation, which the CCSO obviously tendered early. IMO, IANAL Lindbergh Act
@Ontario Mom. You stirred my curiosity & 'leetle grey cells' (both of them :rolleyes: ). W another search, I found more.
@dave F I believe the part of ^ post & link* about local LE requesting assistance of FBI for a case is accurate.

Another link from same website** notes Lindbergh Act
(original only?) applied to kidnapping w
1. transporting vic across state lines, and 2. intent to seek a ransom or reward.
Did local LE have indication of either w'in a couple days? Afaik no sign, but I could have missed it.
There may be a diff. fed. statutory basis, other than a possible kidnapping, for FBI to have rendered assistance to CCSO so early. Welcoming comment, clarification, correction, esp'ly from our legal professionals.

** "1932 Federal Kidnapping Act (U.S.C.A. §§ 1201–1202 [1988 & Supp. 1992]) Lindbergh Law. "This statute made it a federal offense to kidnap someone with the intent to seek a ransom or reward." Lindbergh Kidnapping - Further Readings
** Dave F posted this link: Lindbergh Act from law.jrank.org
*** L
aw review article discussing legislative history of 1932 Act & the 1934 amendments.
https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1726&context=lcp No publ. date shown.

The Lindbergh act was passed into law June 22, 1932, I am not a lawyer, and I don't work for the FBI. Besides that, it's fifteen years before I was born. There are literally hundreds of sources explaining the purpose of the law, and how it works.

Note: the ONLY exception to this law, which would forbid the FBI from joining the investigation, is parental kidnapping.
IMO

Federal Kidnapping Act - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members