DNA Doe Project - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to have given every one false hope with the new numbers on the DNADoeProject #s page. . . that case is highly endogamous. :-(
But it sure is nice to know we have a little hope.

Also I can imagine since she had relatives/ancestry from Aguascalientes in Mexico, it may be very difficult to find records and family trees that are accessible to researchers from abroad. Lets pray she gets her name back soon.

A DNA Doe Project solve from earlier this year turns out to be a criminal case:

https://www.startribune.com/woman-a...ties-home-7-years-ago/573129071/?refresh=true

"A young man confessed Thursday that he fatally shot his father in the family's Twin Cities home in 2013 and then plotted a coverup with his mother that allowed the body to go undetected for years in the woods of western Wisconsin, according to prosecutors.

Connie L. Herbst, 62, and Austin J. Herbst, 26, were arrested Thursday near their New Prague home after being charged Wednesday in Scott County District Court with aiding and abetting intentional second-degree murder in connection with the death of Gary A. Herbst, whose bullet-punctured skull was sniffed out by a dog in December 2017 south of Barron, Wis., and brought back to its owner's home."

<snip>

"Following the discovery of the skull, the rest of Gary Herbst's skeletal remains were soon located by Barron County sheriff's deputies. It took another 2½ years before authorities identified him in June 2020 thanks in large part to the DNA Doe Project, a volunteer organization based in California that helps law enforcement solve especially challenging "Jane and John Doe" mysteries around the country."

While reading that article it struck me that the immediate family members were rooting against DNA Doe Project throughout the process, and probably cursing that a company like that even existed. They were only in jeopardy if the remains were identified. Otherwise they could stick to the story of Gary leaving with an unknown person.

Was the son Austin the same one who submitted the DNA to confirm the match? That would be ultimate irony. He sounds like the type who could pull it off. The wife's text messages fortunately foiled the coverup.

https://www.startribune.com/woman-a...ties-home-7-years-ago/573129071/?refresh=true

"A young man confessed Thursday that he fatally shot his father in the family's Twin Cities home in 2013 and then plotted a coverup with his mother that allowed the body to go undetected for years in the woods of western Wisconsin, according to prosecutors.

Connie L. Herbst, 62, and Austin J. Herbst, 26, were arrested Thursday near their New Prague home after being charged Wednesday in Scott County District Court with aiding and abetting intentional second-degree murder in connection with the death of Gary A. Herbst, whose bullet-punctured skull was sniffed out by a dog in December 2017 south of Barron, Wis., and brought back to its owner's home."

<snip>

"Following the discovery of the skull, the rest of Gary Herbst's skeletal remains were soon located by Barron County sheriff's deputies. It took another 2½ years before authorities identified him in June 2020 thanks in large part to the DNA Doe Project, a volunteer organization based in California that helps law enforcement solve especially challenging "Jane and John Doe" mysteries around the country."

While reading that article it struck me that the immediate family members were rooting against DNA Doe Project throughout the process, and probably cursing that a company like that even existed. They were only in jeopardy if the remains were identified. Otherwise they could stick to the story of Gary leaving with an unknown person.

Was the son Austin the same one who submitted the DNA to confirm the match? That would be ultimate irony. He sounds like the type who could pull it off. The wife's text messages fortunately foiled the coverup.

This case makes me sad all around because in another article the son said his father was very verbally and physically abusive to his mother and it got worse before the murder. I guess we'll know more closer to the trial.

<snip>

That’s true, but Gary had a brother who worried about him and made Gary’s wife to report Garry as a missing person:
“According to the charges, Gary had been missing since July 6, 2013. However, Connie did not file a police report for an entire year, only doing so at the suggestion of Gary’s brother”
So, may be Garry’s brother submitted the DNA test

Woman, adult son charged with 2013 murder of father in Elko New Market

Last edited:
Now it is official and confirmed by DDP: Harper Jane Doe is pending announcement according to the DDP pinned post on their facebook page

I have to wonder what will happen if one of the DDP fund cases get identified before their donation goals are met, on one hand, I hope that the DDP doesn't withhold their name, but also I hope that if they do release the names, it doesn't just make it so people don't feel they need to donate to that case anymore.

Kenosha John Doe has a new match over 100, I have found on the spreadsheet that he had already once a match over 100 cM and also he has many matches over 40 cM, it looks like he has a good chance to be identified. I am wondering if there is huge endogamy in his case too which makes his identification more difficult.. I think it was released that he is from Catawba Nation of South Carolina.

Last edited:
I have to wonder what will happen if one of the DDP fund cases get identified before their donation goals are met, on one hand, I hope that the DDP doesn't withhold their name, but also I hope that if they do release the names, it doesn't just make it so people don't feel they need to donate to that case anymore.

I'm not sure what you mean. If DDP takes on a case but it happens to get identified before the DNA extraction happens, then wouldn't DDP just use the money for a different case? Or if the case is identified whilst genealogy is still taking place, I think the money is largely already spent on DNA extraction.

It isn't DDP who chooses if a name gets released or not. Once they have a probable name for a Doe, they pass that on to the law enforcement in charge of that Doe case, and then they don't have much to do with it after that. If the Doe was a murder victim, I believe it's the law to eventually release their name. If the Doe died of natural causes, an accident, or suicide, then it's the Doe's family who decides if the name is released or not.

I'm not sure what you mean. If DDP takes on a case but it happens to get identified before the DNA extraction happens, then wouldn't DDP just use the money for a different case? Or if the case is identified whilst genealogy is still taking place, I think the money is largely already spent on DNA extraction.

It isn't DDP who chooses if a name gets released or not. Once they have a probable name for a Doe, they pass that on to the law enforcement in charge of that Doe case, and then they don't have much to do with it after that. If the Doe was a murder victim, I believe it's the law to eventually release their name. If the Doe died of natural causes, an accident, or suicide, then it's the Doe's family who decides if the name is released or not.
The way they've started to do it is that they extract and THEN they ask for donations. 6 out of the 8 cases are currently undergoing research already.

The way they've started to do it is that they extract and THEN they ask for donations. 6 out of the 8 cases are currently undergoing research already.

Then I'd guess they would probably keep donations for those cases open and use the money to reimburse what they've already spent, maybe? I don't know... but either way, they wouldn't withhold the Doe's identity since it's not them who releases the names, it's LE who does that :)

Her admixture is interesting, mainly Northern European with a bit of Mediterranean influx (because it will come up; it is decidedly not an Ashkenazi signature, those have a different admix).

Maybe Mowry jd had an Italian or Spanish grandparent?

Edit, actually if i compare it to others such as Pulaski JD and Nation River JD, it is fairly similar.

Kenosha John Doe has a new match over 100, I have found on the spreadsheet that he had already once a match over 100 cM and also he has many matches over 40 cM, it looks like he has a good chance to be identified. I am wondering if there is huge endogamy in his case too which makes his identification more difficult.. I think it was released that he is from Catawba Nation of South Carolina.
It looks like they tried a new approach or got a new genetic profile, he has less matches over 40cm but has gone from 10 to 79 matches with trees over 30cm

Another increase: Pulaski's top match is now 273.
Woah don't know how that got by me, especially since that's one of my 'pet' cases, since Carl's reconstruction bares an uncanny resemblance to my (living) mother. I hope she's identified soon with the huge family tree she has.

Woah don't know how that got by me, especially since that's one of my 'pet' cases, since Carl's reconstruction bares an uncanny resemblance to my (living) mother. I hope she's identified soon with the huge family tree she has.
I haven’t noticed it as well... I hope she will be identified soon.

There are some updates on cases status:
Lake Michigan Jane Doe 1997, Gregg Co Jane Doe 2002 have already passed from Extraction to Sequencing. And Bones 20 Jane Doe 2003 (WA) has returned from Bioinformatics to Sequencing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members