GUILTY TN - Caitlyn Kaufman, 26, fatally shot while driving on I-440, Nashville, 3 Dec 2020 *1 guilty, 1 NG*

If the traffic was heavy and putting along...then why did nobody see what happened and report it?

Hundreds of cars likely passed by in minutes surrounding Kaufman's death

The latest TDOT data shows, on average, 94,783 cars pass through I-440 each day at the spot Caitlyn was killed, between Hillsboro Pike and West End.

Metro Police have narrowed down the time Caitlyn was killed on Thursday to a five-minute window: between 6:05 and 6:10 p.m.

Using that annual average, that means around 329 cars could have passed by in just those five minutes.

Hundreds of cars likely passed by in minutes surrounding Kaufman's death

The latest TDOT data shows, on average, 94,783 cars pass through I-440 each day at the spot Caitlyn was killed, between Hillsboro Pike and West End.

Metro Police have narrowed down the time Caitlyn was killed on Thursday to a five-minute window: between 6:05 and 6:10 p.m.

Using that annual average, that means around 329 cars could have passed by in just those five minutes.

That is a shocking number.
That is a shocking number of people to not see someone fire into another car six times. I mean, someone was driving behind CK’s and the shooter’s car and neither saw this....windows shattering, etc.
It’s just very confusing.

wsp news 4 has a report about how the police are frustrated with the lack of video in this case. Could they just be bluffing? It goes on to state that the Tenn DMV has some 500 throughout the state.

Now a days so many people have cameras and phones attached to the dashboard while they drive. I have so many questions like. Is that a busy highway, was anyone on the road between the hours/mins of that may have drove past the car, possibly caught any plates on the road in the direct area during those times. I hate to digress and babble on. This incident is so heartening to me and I have so many thoughts and questions. Can cameras catch her from the time leaving her home. I hope the investigators are looking at ever and any angles. Uuugh this is so sad and scary.

Definitely a very busy road, and at this time of the evening would expect to have a lot of cars around which is why this is all so surprising.

Last edited:
Wow ! Thank you for this update

This is local to me so my fb news feed just went wild with this news. Our community is breathing a collective sigh of relief.
One of our neighbors was also shot multiple times last year on the same stretch of interstate 24/ 440. He luckily survived but his shooter was never caught. Terrifying that people would just randomly shoot someone driving down the road.

Last edited:

I am very interested in learning more about these Colorado individuals / we are now on thread 4:

CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #1

@Jethro4WS , any news on our other highway case, Melissa Peskey (making note)

eta:
Wow, it seems they have JUST bumped the reward - I wonder if it’s because of the reward that just led to the arrest in Caitlyn’s case.
MO - Melissa Peskey, 40, shot and killed, Boonville, 13 December 2018
—-

Terrifying that people would just randomly shoot someone driving down the road.

Sadly, this is not nearly as uncommon as one might think / some quick examples for reference / these are fairly recent:

Philadelphia / September 9, 2019
Woman shot and killed while driving, crashes into Germantown home

Philadelphia / October 20, 2020
Woman, 62, Struck and Killed by Stray Bullet While Driving in Chester

Louisiana / Nov 27, 2020
Woman shot and killed while driving on Westbank Expressway

Michigan / Oct. 07, 2020
18-year-old woman shot and killed while driving in Flint

Nevada / Sep. 17, 2020
UPDATE: Las Vegas police identify woman shot, killed while driving home from work

California / Dec. 8, 2020
Oakland: Woman shot while driving on freeway

Chicago, IL / November 6, 2020
Woman Fatally Shot While Driving In West Englewood

Chicago, IL / Nov 21, 2020
35-year-old mother shot, killed driving in South Chicago day before birthday | WGN-TV

Omaha, Nebraska / Oct 31, 2020
Woman who was shot in the head while driving Thursday in northeast Omaha has died

Woman shot, killed while driving in Atlanta

St. Louis, Missouri / JUL 9, 2020
Woman shot dead while driving in north St. Louis

Memphis, TN / Aug 27, 2020
Witnesses speak out after woman is shot while driving in Whitehaven

Des Moines, Iowa / April 3, 2020
Des Moines crime: Woman shot and died Friday in Drake neighborhood

Waterloo, Iowa (April 28, 2020)
Death of Waterloo woman shot while driving remains a mystery
The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier reports no arrests have been made yet in the April 28 death of Micalla Rettinger.

Indianapolis, IN / Feb. 18, 2020
Indianapolis crime: Woman killed, man injured in shooting and crash

Columbus, OH / 2020
Woman dies after being shot while driving - Sunny 95

Miami, FL / JANUARY 4, 2020
Woman shot on I-95 in Miami dies amid search for gunman

Miami, FL / JUNE 10, 2020
Woman injured after being shot while driving along I-95

“She’s the second person shot by gunfire on the same stretch of I-95 where 22-year-old Melissa Gonzalez was shot and killed in January.

Docena, Alabama / Sep 6, 2020
Woman shot while driving through Docena community | CBS 42

Jun 11, 2020 / (Arrest)
Man shot out woman’s window while driving on county road, police say

August 4, 2016 (Arrest)
Man arrested in death of woman shot while driving home from work | wtol.com

Last edited:
BREAKING: Arrest made after beloved nurse is shot dead while driving to work

SABBM:

News Channel 5 reports that SWAT members arrested Devaunte L. Hill, at around 6 a.m. Friday morning. Authorities found Hill at an apartment in East Nashville. The suspect and the victim, Caitlyn Kaufman, did not know each other, according to police.

The officer discovered Kaufman in the vehicle with at least one gunshot wound and called for assistance. Kaufman was pronounced dead at the scene. A gun was also left behind at the scene.

“That gun was test fired and we have a 100% match of the three 9mm shell casings found on the corner of the road on I-440 the night Caitlyn was killed,” Chief Drake said.

Authorities said Hill’s cellphone was in the area when Kaufman was killed.

MNPD said detectives believe Kaufman was on her way to at 7 p.m. shift at Ascension Saint Thomas West Hospital when shots were fired into her SUV between 6 and 6:30 p.m.

Authorities got a break in the case after an anonymous group of business owners posted a $50,000 reward, which brought the total reward in the case to over $65,000. According to Fox 17, police received information about the case within an hour of announcing the reward.

An arrest! Awesome news!!!

This is some really good police work right here.

I'm amazed that LE was able to make an arrest so quickly.

Of course, it helps that this loser left his gun behind at the scene.

Good thing for Lady Justice that so many criminals are complete morons.

JMO.

Last edited:
BREAKING: Arrest made after beloved nurse is shot dead while driving to work

SABBM:

News Channel 5 reports that SWAT members arrested Devaunte L. Hill, at around 6 a.m. Friday morning. Authorities found Hill at an apartment in East Nashville. The suspect and the victim, Caitlyn Kaufman, did not know each other, according to police.

The officer discovered Kaufman in the vehicle with at least one gunshot wound and called for assistance. Kaufman was pronounced dead at the scene. A gun was also left behind at the scene.

“That gun was test fired and we have a 100% match of the three 9mm shell casings found on the corner of the road on I-440 the night Caitlyn was killed,” Chief Drake said.

Authorities said Hill’s cellphone was in the area when Kaufman was killed.

MNPD said detectives believe Kaufman was on her way to at 7 p.m. shift at Ascension Saint Thomas West Hospital when shots were fired into her SUV between 6 and 6:30 p.m.

Authorities got a break in the case after an anonymous group of business owners posted a $50,000 reward, which brought the total reward in the case to over $65,000. According to Fox 17, police received information about the case within an hour of announcing the reward.

An arrest! Awesome news!!!

This is some really good police work right here.

I'm amazed that LE was able to make an arrest so quickly.

Of course, it helps that this loser left his gun behind at the scene.

Good thing for Lady Justice that so many criminals are complete morons.

JMO.

I’m a little confused by their wording about the gun. At the press conference and in earlier articles it was said the person who called in the tip about the suspect also told police where to find the gun and they located it later that night and matched it to the shell casings. Was the gun hidden at the crime scene?
If shell casings were found at the crime scene, does that mean the gun was outside the shooter’s car while he was shooting? Like his arm extended out the window?

“Drake said a concerned citizen came forward Thursday afternoon and identified Hill as a suspect. That person also provided information as to the whereabouts of the 9mm that police say was used in the killing.

Police recovered the gun later that night and called in ballistic experts to do an immediate analysis overnight. Drake said the gun was test fired and had a “100% match” of the three 9mm shell casings found at the scene.

Drake said additionally, electronic experts were able to identify Hill’s cell number and determined that his phone was in the vicinity the night Kaufman was killed.“

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back