Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sheriff's office for that area is in Needles. I can't imagine why someone would drive all that way to report, and not just call it in.

“911, is this an emergency?” I agree it’s not likely, but there’s over-conscientious people, and uncertain people who’d ask themselves if they’ve somehow found abandoned Halloween decorations, or if it really qualifies as an emergency when there’s obviously no need for paramedics to rush to the scene.

For those of you curious about the point where the search began (they grid searched for a half a mile in each direction, IIRC, and of course went along the trails - although I don't know how far), here are the coordinates for where she was last seen:
34.794448 -115.615131
As you can see, it was at the intersection of two trails, with 4 ways to go. The dry creek bed is just north of that. This is where WS member @cazador was told by LE that she was last seen.

The trailer was parked at the pull out just east of there...

I would have expected the place where she was last seen to be nearer to the rock outcrop, as RT was taking photographs and he also said that he lost sight of her when she rounded a corner - presumably part of the rocks.
I don't doubt that they centred the search at the 4-way crossing, as that is logical, but I question that it's the spot where she was last seen. This may just be a matter of misinterpretation.

Last edited:
I would have expected the place where she was last seen to be nearer to the rock outcrop, as RT was taking photographs and he also said that he lost sight of her when she rounded a corner - presumably part of the rocks.
I don't doubt that they centred the search at the 4-way crossing, as that is logical, but I question that it's the spot where she was last seen. This may just be a matter of misinterpretation.
we had a series of pics in a prior thread, but I can't seem to find them. Were they taken by by the poster who went out with a drone? It showed the outcrops and trails from overhead. Can anyone find them please?

The Sheriff's office for that area is in Needles. I can't imagine why someone would drive all that way to report, and not just call it in.

But anything is possible. If there's another Sheriff's office in that region, I'd be interested to know where it is.

AFAIK, there is neither a Sheriff's substation nor a CHP base in Essex or Ludlow. It is unincorporated (so it's not a city, has no city police). The 89 people mostly live in the desert near the "town." I don't think it even has a post office.

But it is a useful "offramp" out that way, as most of the other named places have even fewer people...
Barstow would be the next closest with SBCSO and CHP. Kelbaker is pretty much the halfway point between Barstow and Needles so it makes sense thats the dividing line between the two stations.

From the beginning, this has been a frustrating and sad disappearance. Now that Barbara's remains have been found, we have no way of knowing if she died at this site or was moved there after death.

Like others here, I am surprised and thankful Barbara has been found. Rest easy, beautiful lady. You will remain an inspiration.

My condolences to her loved ones. I suppose it's too much to hope for answers before the holidays... However this is in my prayers.

I feel like we all tried to figure things out on those maps, and I'd like to know where she was found. In the news articles, there are contact emails. Is it ok to ask them if they could do some research and find the details of where she was found? Do you think the sheriff dept. will give out that info?

I feel like we all tried to figure things out on those maps, and I'd like to know where she was found. In the news articles, there are contact emails. Is it ok to ask them if they could do some research and find the details of where she was found? Do you think the sheriff dept. will give out that info?
The question I have is why didn't they do that already?

From the beginning, this has been a frustrating and sad disappearance. Now that Barbara's remains have been found, we have no way of knowing if she died at this site or was moved there after death.
I'm sure we will know if Barbara died at the recovery site when authorities release more information to the public. JMO

SBCSD Colorado River Station
Missing Person/Death Investigation - the human remains found have been positively identified as Barbara Thomas
3:50 PM · Dec 18, 2020

http://nixle.us/CE3JA
Missing Person/Death Investigation - the human remains found have been positively identified as Barbara Thomas

DATE/TIME: July 12, 2019 2:30 pm **UPDATE**
INCIDENT: Missing Person/Death Investigation
VICTIM: Barbara Thomas, 69 years old, resident of Bullhead City, AZ
DESCRIPTION: 5'9, 130 lbs., Blonde hair, Green eyes, last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks

UPDATE – December 18, 2020
On November 27, 2020 two people were hiking in a field off Kelbaker Road when they discovered human remains. On November 28th a further search was conducted, and additional bones and evidence was recovered.

The remains have been positively identified as Barbara Thomas. The cause of death is pending.

No other details are available for release at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard