Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people who drive to Colorado every summer in search of peaches. I think they’re buying more than peaches but it is after all their business! Lol

And legal. Of course, peaches are legal everywhere. We have a county known for their sweet, cling free peaches - Chilton - and there is a delightful stand in Clanton off I-65 where there is a massive water tower resembling a blushing derrier . upload_2020-12-16_23-22-43.jpeg

My Grandmother fried chicken in...wait for it....lard! You can't beat fried chicken fried in lard! And they all lived past 100 years old. My Grandmother cooked everything in bacon drippings. Green beans, carrots, potatoes, peas, parsnips...even lettuce leaves had a hot bacon dressing!
Yummy. My granddaddy was a farmer, so butter beans (aka lima beans) and field peas were plentiful in our kitchen. Butter beans slow-simmered with fatback (aka salt pork) is simply divine! :D

Yummy. My granddaddy was a farmer, so butter beans (aka lima beans) and field peas were plentiful in our kitchen. Butter beans slow-simmered with fatback (aka salt pork) is simply divine! :D
One of my fave books is A Painted House. I love the descriptions of their farming meal times, and young Luke "doctoring" his one coffee with cream and sugar.

Feels like we went back to those simpler times with the pandemic. I have plans to grow more next year as well.

We had lima beans along with our leftovers last night. I have plenty of lima beans and speckled butter beans in the freezer. I don't grow them, I get them at our farmers market and blanch them before freezing. I've never simmered the beans with fatback, though. Probably using some bacon would also be good. I always have bacon on hand!

One of my fave books is A Painted House. I love the descriptions of their farming meal times, and young Luke "doctoring" his one coffee with cream and sugar.

Feels like we went back to those simpler times with the pandemic. I have plans to grow more next year as well.

O/T. Love that story :) The movie was exceptional.

C98DC446-9E22-460D-B8FF-1A9C0843378F.jpeg
Water tower in Gaffney SC
Visible from Interstate 85

And legal. Of course, peaches are legal everywhere. We have a county known for their sweet, cling free peaches - Chilton - and there is a delightful stand in Clanton off I-65 where there is a massive water tower resembling a blushing derrier . View attachment 275905
Great stands in Gaffney SC plus the outlet stores lol

I meant to share this recipe before Thanksgiving when everyone is making mashed potatoes to accompany their turkey feast. The diehard mashed potato fans in my family were not impressed when I made them one year: A little too "gourmet" and not particularly light and fluffy. "Make-ahead Mashed Potatoes" does save time as you can make them a day or two ahead and store them in the fridge. The prepared potatoes can be microwaved or reheated in the oven.

Classic Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes Recipe | Taste of Home

I started using the ricer for my mash potatoes. Add butter and warm mild, not a lump can be found just mix with a spoon and they are perfect. They are so simple and there is always someone else volunteering to rice them.

I started using the ricer for my mash potatoes. Add butter and warm mild, not a lump can be found just mix with a spoon and they are perfect. They are so simple and there is always someone else volunteering to rice them.

My mother always used a hand mixer to whip her mashed potatoes and they were always great. I don't usually bother, just mash thoroughly, add butter, milk and salt, and use a spoon to whip up by hand. We don't mind some lumps. :)

My mother always used a hand mixer to whip her mashed potatoes and they were always great. I don't usually bother, just mash thoroughly, add butter, milk and salt, and use a spoon to whip up by hand. We don't mind some lumps. :)

This is what I do, too. I mash the potatoes first, add warm milk (usually buttermilk), and room temperature butter, then whip them with electric mixer. I strive for no lumps, but they don't always turn out that way :oops:

We're seeing lots of carrots in our veg box lately so tried something different tonight.

Tossed prepped carrots in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and honey. Added pre cooked baby beets. Seasoned and roasted in the oven. Chopped parsley to serve. Made a nice change.

We're seeing lots of carrots in our veg box lately so tried something different tonight.

Tossed prepped carrots in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and honey. Added pre cooked baby beets. Seasoned and roasted in the oven. Chopped parsley to serve. Made a nice change.

What temp and how long did you roast, please?

Covid, and this thread, has made me more fascinated with home cooking than I've ever been. Once upon a long time ago, if I were alone, I'd be just as happy to open a can of english or black eyed peas to warm and eat for supper. Now, between my husband, who truly appreciates any and all efforts on my part, and my piqued interest because of the generous home chefs here, I have added to my own kitchen repertoire in a tasty and elegant manner. There has been some beneficence to this lousy pandemic. Thanks again ALL. Without intention, you have made me a better cook.

What temp and how long did you roast, please?

Covid, and this thread, has made me more fascinated with home cooking than I've ever been. Once upon a long time ago, if I were alone, I'd be just as happy to open a can of english or black eyed peas to warm and eat for supper. Now, between my husband, who truly appreciates any and all efforts on my part, and my piqued interest because of the generous home chefs here, I have added to my own kitchen repertoire in a tasty and elegant manner. There has been some beneficence to this lousy pandemic. Thanks again ALL. Without intention, you have made me a better cook.
Same here Catmommy and it's a little bit of fun too :).

I would say around 30 mins at 170 degrees C in our fan oven. I was cooking a quiche at the same time, so oven juggling!

Made parsnip "crisps" this afternoon (still using up veg!)

Even when DH and I host a family gathering on Christmas Eve, I don't usually cook a full dinner. I make several different appetizers so there's something that everyone likes. Typical menu includes mini pizza bagels, devilled eggs, pierogis w/sour cream, chilled shrimp with cocktail sauce or bacon-wrapped shrimp, baked Brie w/crackers or crostini, cubed deli meats and cheese. I usually bake several different kinds of cookies and set out chocolates and nuts.

This year, DH and I will spend Christmas Eve at home watching movies and noshing on a charcuterie platter. Nibbles will include baked Brie with raw pistachios and pomegranate seeds, crackers, Boar's Head Genoa salami, dried figs, mixed nuts, and dark chocolates. Wine. On Christmas Day, we'll enjoy grilled beef tenderloin, Potatoes Dauphin, Brussels sprouts with pancetta, dried cherries, and balsamic glaze. New Year's Eve will likely be an encore of the charcuterie platter :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53