Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ex husband RIP worked for our local power company here in town. He worked for a time 'out in the field', meaning he had contact w/the outside world and the face to face contact w/the customers....as opposed to sitting in the office behind a desk all day.

Thank you and I agree. IMHO, "into the field" refers to working outside the office.

My husband went “into the field” for Army training. A working dog is “field ready” when required hours and certs are required. IMO

I now understand when they said she was found in the field. Again I’m clueless with desert terrain.

Do they have deadly rattlesnakes in the area her remains were located?

TIA!

jmo
Looks like there are several types of rattlesnakes in the Mojave desert.

The often mis-named "Mojave Green" has the most potent venom of any rattlesnake in North America. Its poison is about 16 times more powerful than that of the Sidewinder.

Mojave Rattlesnake (Mojave Green) - Desert Wildlife

Mojave Desert Sidewinder - Desert Wildlife

Speckled Rattlesnake

Western Diamond-backed Rattlesnake

I think "field" was simply a poor choice for a descriptive word..
something like "sparse desert terrain" or "empty area" or "hardpack flat ground"
might have been more suitable imho
Yeah, I think we are spending too much time parsing that out. I can hear them saying "what do you call a spot like this?" "A field I think.." Not everyone's vocabulary includes all the descriptive terms for desert terrain. Sapir-Whorf, the only thing I remember from a minor in anthropology- Language dictates perception.

Do they have deadly rattlesnakes in the area her remains were located?

TIA!

jmo

Hi, OBE! Nice to see you posting here!

Yes, there are definitely rattlesnakes here. I wondered if Barbara had gotten bitten by one, and expired, as well.

When she passed, I believe she was wearing "hiking boots". When I think of hiking boots, this is what comes to mind: KEEN Targhee III Mid Waterproof | Zappos.com

The above link shows ankle-high hiking boots. Just my opinion here - I don't think think ankle-high boots will completely protect you from snake bites.

We've got friends who have property in the high desert. When I asked them what they wore to avoid snake bites, he told me Kevlar pants. His wife wears thigh-high boots.

Last time we saw them, they were talking about the Mojave Green rattlesnake they saw (and did not disturb!).

JMVHO.

Last edited:
I would be curious to see the area she was found in the summer (when she went missing) compared to now. My guess it looks different, even in the desert. IMO

ETA: can someone do that with aerial view maps that shows actual terrain pics? We don’t know the exact location but know the general area. IMO

Last edited:

Yes, there are definitely rattlesnakes here. I wondered if Barbara had gotten bitten by one, and expired, as well.

When she passed, I believe she was wearing "hiking boots". When I think of hiking boots, this is what comes to mind: KEEN Targhee III Mid Waterproof | Zappos.com

The above link shows ankle-high hiking boots. Just my opinion here - I don't think think ankle-high boots will completely protect you from snake bites.

We've got friends who have property in the high desert. When I asked them what they wore to avoid snake bites, he told me Kevlar pants. His wife wears thigh-high boots.

Last time we saw them, they were talking about the Mojave Green rattlesnake they saw (and did not disturb!).

JMVHO.
This is a very rational hypothesis. Considering we know Barb was rock hunting, and we know rattlesnakes hide under rocks. Very possible.
How Often Does the Average Person Get Bitten by a Rattlesnake?

Amateur opinion and speculation

I would be curious to see the area she was found in the summer (when she went missing) compared to now. My guess it looks different, even in the desert. IMO

ETA: can someone do that with aerial view maps that shows actual terrain pics? We don’t know the exact location but know the general area. IMO
^^bbm

Google aerial view of Kelbaker & Hidden Hills Rds.

Google Maps

ETA: scrolling around you can view the reported rock formations near the intersecting roads. Also, scroll up to view Kelso and down for US-40. IMO, change in terrain is evident between points.

Last edited:

Google Earth currently shows imaging dated 08/19/2019 ... however, resolution is not high enough to recognize anything really.
In the screenshot below, that yellow line I randomly added in there is like is 6ft long...
upload_2020-12-21_0-43-4.png

Not sure there's other aerial imaging is available anywhere else ...

8/19/2019 is rather close to 7/12/2019, and I've been looking around there lots - but I just cannot make sense of it all.

I really doubt whether it'd be of value now to know where her remains were found, and to check whether we recognize anything on GE or on any other aerial pictures.

And even if there were images that would show us anything - What would that add? What would we learn from it?

The one thing that might make a real difference is high resolution imaging, shot the same day, and maybe the day after, published on the internet immediately with lots and lots of people looking at them in a way TomNod gave us... but... time ...

For sure, locating her remains sooner would've have spared family and friends the long time of waiting ... but I don't think it could have saved her.
:(

As with many threads, Barbara's case has been very sad. I think we have all been rooting for this neat gal seemingly living her best life, and that against the odds, she would make it back to her Robbie, and her sweet little pup Lexi.

Law enforcement and the Coroner would have arrived at the location of Barb's remains, with Law Enforcement most likely arriving (possibly long) before the Coroner. There would have been a thorough search, collection and packaging of evidence, and they would have documented the scene together. However, the determination of cause of death would be determined independently of each other. The Coroner does have the final say on manner and cause of death, and if either differ, there needs to be a defensible reason why.

Barbara's remains were located sixteen months after she disappeared. We speculate she was found in the open desert. In those conditions, the remains would have been "level seven", which is a body that is six to eight months post-mortem, which means full skeletonization. Even so, a skeleton can "tell" a lot about whether foul play was involved or not. If there were any strands of hair remaining (sorry to be so graphic), they might even be able to determine if she were poisoned by a snake bite.

All this being said, if there isn't foul play, we may never hear anything more about Barb from authorities. She may simply be buried and sent off by her loved ones without any further information to the public.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Research attribution (sources) - PBS News Hour article, "What happens when migrants die in the Arizona Desert", dated Oct 22, 2018
"The Roles of Police Officers and Coroners" - Ind.gov, Section 301, page 76

JMVHO.
That's a valid theory about the rattlesnake. That combined with other factors could easily be a cause.

The ankle high boots definitely wouldn't protect you from a snake bite. Even the snake bite proof boots go almost all the way up to the knee. You could wear the ankle high ones with snake gaiters and have some good protection except for the top of the foot but in that heat, it would probably be pretty uncomfortable

I live in Joshua Tree.
People get lost FAST in the heat.
The terrain is NOT what people envision.
It has hills , crevices, rocks , Joshua Trees...
Getting lost is EASY.
Getting found is NOT.

Your knowledge of the place where you live trumps any other theory, including what I might offer, as to what ultimately may have happened to Barbara. What I do understand is that people do go missing every single year in extensive state and federal parks. Some are not found until years later. Some are not found.

The Mojave Green is not to be toyed with. I have encountered MANY.
Unlike other varities, these rattlers RARELY, if ever rattle. They have a reputation for aggression which is not true. No rattler wants to waste venom on anything that is not prey, UNLESS they feel threatened.
The worst thing about a Mojave Green?
You have 30 minutes to get treatment
If you are bitten.
Not great odds in the middle of Nowhere.

JMVHO.

Well hi there my sweet friend. :)

Thank you so much. Nice to see you too. I've not been on WS very much lately, but I do miss posting so much with everyone.

I do think it's possible, and if she was already overheated her faster heartbeat would spread the venom even faster, imo.

If she was also fatigued a snake bite could have deadly consequences quickly. And even though she seemed to be in great physical shape her age could still be a factor.

We had a young man in his 30s in our area a couple of years ago who only had ankle boots on when walking with his son down by the river. He was bitten on his calf by a deadly diamondback rattler, and died shortly thereafter.

I'm so thankful though that Barbara has been found, and can be brought home to all who loves her. The not knowing where she was all this time had to be so traumatizing for all.

May God be with them all during her final journey so she can finally rest in eternal peace.

Early Merry Christmas to all of my beautiful WS family. Be safe, and bright blessings to you all.

Hugs!

Ocean

In reading yesterday about her remains being found - if the location was correct it was almost 17 miles from where her husband said she went missing on foot.

We have had some discussion on this thread related to the location. "Essex" covers a broad area, including where the RV was parked. If you search Google maps for Kelbaker and Hidden Hills road (where the RV was parked), you can click on various spots and all are identified as Essex, CA.

So I believe she was found relatively close to where she was last seen, possibly along or off of Hidden Hills Road within a mile or two of the RV. I don't know if we will ever find out for sure.
MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member