TN - RV Explosion, Nashville, 25 Dec 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the 5G angle is very interesting. It’s been in the news and there is a known group of people who are not just opposed to it but terrified of it. I could see this motive instead of just having a beef with ATT or communication in general.
I would kind of expect some type of communication from the people involved though. Again, it doesn’t help the cause, if nobody knows why you did it. It’s possible it could have been mailed and won’t arrive until Monday.

I hate to just restate the obvious, but the two points that stand out are the warning and the timing. The symbolism of Christmas morning cannot be overlooked. With any “send a message” type of terrorism event the point is driven home with a body count, but casualties were avoided here.

So what we have here is lives spared on Christmas morning. That’s a real awkward fit when considering any group or objective.

It was parked near apartment buildings though. There would have been more deaths if the police didn't evacuate those buildings from the rear exit. Also, I don't think the warning was meant to save lives. From what I am reading in the news, it sounds like the bomb didn't go off at the time the recording stated. I don't believe the terrorists cared about deaths. I have a hard time believing anyone who builds a bomb and detonates it, whether it's a Molotov cocktail or a car bomb, cares about other humans in any way. I think the RV was stolen and the real owner was murdered, and I hope I'm wrong. All JMO

Good points. And what was the cause of the delay? Wondering if the bomb was manually set off.

Good points. And what was the cause of the delay? Wondering if the bomb was manually set off.
There’s something peculiar about that... we know that the explosion did not happen at the end of the countdown, but the message continued to broadcast. Is it possible that it was manually detonated only when evacuation was complete?

@glamourkitty1922 , good points. I’ve been thinking that the RV could have been stolen too but so far, not reported. And I totally agree, nobody constructs an explosive that powerful with safety in mind, including their own.

Because of increase in homeless and the price and demand of RVs going up. There has been a major up tick in thefts. in fact, my husband and I were nervous about leaving ours at the dealer for maintenance. They had several stolen off their lot this year.

There’s something peculiar about that... we know that the explosion did not happen at the end of the countdown, but the message continued to broadcast. Is it possible that it was manually detonated only when evacuation was complete?

True. The perps held off until they saw enough people evacuated? The perps was watching or inside the RV?

I think the 5G angle is very interesting. It’s been in the news and there is a known group of people who are not just opposed to it but terrified of it. I could see this motive instead of just having a beef with ATT or communication in general.
I would kind of expect some type of communication from the people involved though. Again, it doesn’t help the cause, if nobody knows why you did it. It’s possible it could have been mailed and won’t arrive until Monday.
Interesting information on ATT, 5G, and Nashville AT&T 5G: When and Where You Can Get It (Updated for 2020)

I think if it is a domestic person (or persons), we should expect to hear from them somehow. Especially if this goes unsolved for a bit. The arrogance and need to boast usually gets the best of them as in other cases like the Unabomber.
Yes, and Unabomber was against technology which is why he was trying to blow people up. This one could be a similar motive, only he/she wants to get rid of 5G because of some conspiracy theory.

With there being so much talk about "5G causing COVID-19", do you think this could have been someone radicalized politically in the last few years? To clarify, 5G DOES NOT cause COVID-19.
The problem I have with considering this a symbolic attack of any nature (political, 5G, AT&T) is that the target/objective is not obvious. It doesn’t make a statement.

FAA declares skies around Nashville bombing site as ‘National Defense Airspace’ | WKRN News 2
rbbm.
''NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — The Federal Aviation Administration has classified the airspace around the site of Friday morning’s bombing in downtown Nashville as “National Defense Airspace,” saying “deadly force” could be used as a last resort against any pilot appearing to pose a security threat.

An alert issued by the FAA warned pilots of the temporary flight restrictions for one nautical mile, which is approximately 1.15 miles, around the site of the explosion along Second Avenue North near Commerce Street.

Pilots not adhering to the restrictions “may be intercepted, detained and interviewed by law enforcement/security personnel,” according to the alert. It stated the FAA could impose civil penalties and suspension or revocation of airmen certificates, while the United States government could pursue criminal charges or “use deadly force” against the aircraft if it is determined that it “poses imminent security threat.”

The restrictions are effective Friday through 4:45 p.m. on Dec. 30.''

FAA declares skies around Nashville bombing site as ‘National Defense Airspace’ | WKRN News 2
rbbm.
''NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — The Federal Aviation Administration has classified the airspace around the site of Friday morning’s bombing in downtown Nashville as “National Defense Airspace,” saying “deadly force” could be used as a last resort against any pilot appearing to pose a security threat.

An alert issued by the FAA warned pilots of the temporary flight restrictions for one nautical mile, which is approximately 1.15 miles, around the site of the explosion along Second Avenue North near Commerce Street.

Pilots not adhering to the restrictions “may be intercepted, detained and interviewed by law enforcement/security personnel,” according to the alert. It stated the FAA could impose civil penalties and suspension or revocation of airmen certificates, while the United States government could pursue criminal charges or “use deadly force” against the aircraft if it is determined that it “poses imminent security threat.”

The restrictions are effective Friday through 4:45 p.m. on Dec. 30.''

Is this out an abundance of caution or based on info gathered?

I'm a rather large AT&T customer and have been getting technical communications from them throughout the night. The outage is affecting our fiber in five different cities across two states.

The comments from others that the building didn't take much damage is misleading.

From what they are telling me, there's three feet of water in the basement. A fire broke out inside the building at 3AM today causing evacuation again. The focus at the moment is to restore power to equipment on the second and third floors - no mention of the first floor equipment. They stated that they expect the equipment in the basement to be "damaged" from the water. They are unable to access the building through the first floor so have bored holes in the second and third floor on the back side of the building to gain access. They expect to have power restored to 2nd and 3rd floors within the next hour, which of course doesn't mean services will be immediately restored.

They are working to reroute traffic through KY right now, which is probably a more reliable solution than trying to continue to run services out of that building as-is.

I will note they say preliminary structural engineer inspections do not show any concerning damage to the steel and concrete constructions of the building. It sounds like loss of power and possibly a broken water main caused the most damage up until the fire broke out.

Also our fiber services continued to function until they turned off the generators that were powering the building yesterday afternoon, so that's a good sign for me that if they get it re-energized on fl 2/3 that I'll be back online.

Last edited:
This person could have send a manifesto to newspapers, police, etc, but it hasn't been released.
And that would certainly change everything. But if this is indeed some form of “make a statement” attack I would think devising a public release of a statement immediately following the attack would be in order.

I'm a rather large AT&T customer and have been getting technical communications from them throughout the night. The outage is affecting our fiber in five different cities across two states.

The comments from others that the building didn't take much damage is misleading.

From what they are telling me, there's three feet of water in the basement. A fire broke out inside the building at 3AM today causing evacuation again. The focus at the moment is to restore power to equipment on the second and third floors - no mention of the first floor equipment. They stated that they expect the equipment in the basement to be "damaged" from the water. They are unable to access the building through the first floor so have bored holes in the second and third floor on the back side of the building to gain access. They expect to have power restored to 2nd and 3rd floors within the next hour, which of course doesn't mean services will be immediately restored.

They are working to reroute traffic through KY right now, which is probably a more reliable solution than trying to continue to run services out of that building as-is.

I will note they say preliminary structural engineer inspections do not show any concerning damage to the steel and concrete constructions of the building. It sounds like loss of power and possibly a broken water main caused the most damage up until the fire broke out.

Also our fiber services continued to function until they turned off the generators that were powering the building yesterday afternoon, so that's a good sign for me that if they get it re-energized on fl 2/3 that I'll be back online.
Welcome to Ws cyberimage256, thanks for chiming in with those interesting tidbits!

‘My Christmas Miracle’: Man walking dog survives downtown Nashville explosion | WKRN News 2
''NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — A man and his dog were out for a walk early Christmas morning.

“At 6:30 in the morning, you know, there’s not a quieter time downtown than Christmas morning… I noticed there were police cars at each corner with their lights on. And the guy from the 21C hotel was running outside the building and saying we’ve got to evacuate.”

Caught on camera, you can see an officer talking to David Malloy, potentially saving him and his dog from harm.

“The officer was in the middle of the road on 2nd Avenue, walking towards me telling me to evacuate, when I said, ‘why do I need to evacuate’ and then boom, the bomb went off,” recalled Malloy.''

I haven't been back to Nashville for 25 years, but I remember the Arts District fondly. I got on the map and the explosion was a block away from Batman AT&T building. It was in front of the Pride and Glory Tattoo near Broken Egg and Hooters. It was about half a block or less from an ATT phone building so that is the building that was damaged, not the landmark that looks like Batman surveying the city. Just in case you're like me and was worried about that building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard