TN - RV Explosion, Nashville, 25 Dec 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a rather large AT&T customer and have been getting technical communications from them throughout the night. The outage is affecting our fiber in five different cities across two states.

The comments from others that the building didn't take much damage is misleading.

From what they are telling me, there's three feet of water in the basement. A fire broke out inside the building at 3AM today causing evacuation again. The focus at the moment is to restore power to equipment on the second and third floors - no mention of the first floor equipment. They stated that they expect the equipment in the basement to be "damaged" from the water. They are unable to access the building through the first floor so have bored holes in the second and third floor on the back side of the building to gain access. They expect to have power restored to 2nd and 3rd floors within the next hour, which of course doesn't mean services will be immediately restored.

They are working to reroute traffic through KY right now, which is probably a more reliable solution than trying to continue to run services out of that building as-is.

I will note they say preliminary structural engineer inspections do not show any concerning damage to the steel and concrete constructions of the building. It sounds like loss of power and possibly a broken water main caused the most damage up until the fire broke out.

Also our fiber services continued to function until they turned off the generators that were powering the building yesterday afternoon, so that's a good sign for me that if they get it re-energized on fl 2/3 that I'll be back online.
Wow, I hope it's up and running for you soon! I'm glad nobody got electrocuted.

Well, caught up on the last few pages since posting last night... a lot of good points and discussion. Anxious to learn what the outcome of the investigation will be.
"Police have a person of interest or persons of interest in connection with the explosion" sounds hopeful.

Well, caught up on the last few pages since posting last night... a lot of good points and discussion. Anxious to learn what the outcome of the investigation will be.
"Police have a person of interest or persons of interest in connection with the explosion" sounds hopeful.
Agreed. Might be easier to figure out WHY after we figure out WHO.

Investigators ‘making progress’ in Nashville explosion case | WKRN News 2

U.S. Attorney Don Cochran tells News 2 that more information will be given at a news conference early Saturday afternoon. He would not confirm other media outlet reports that a person or persons of interest were arrested in the case, but said the investigation remains active and ongoing and some new information will be given soon.

So here's my thinking on that.

We can all agree this isn't normal behavior. This person is really upset about...something.

If a person were upset because they felt they were unjustly fired or bullied by coworkers, etc., usually we see that manifest as some kind of mass shooting targeting specific people. Not blaring a siren trying to warn people and avoid casualties.

On the other hand, someone who is mad at the company from a distance might act differently. Maybe they couldn't pay their AT&T bill and the company disabled their service costing them business or something. Maybe they just think the local cell tower made them ill. (See this story for some people who think this: The Town Without Wi-Fi | Washingtonian)
That person isn't mad at Bob in accounting or Susie in HR, they're just mad at the faceless company in general. So that person, not having a specific person to fix blame on might instead target infrastructure.

I could be wrong, but that's my logic.

That’s a good analysis. Makes sense.

The problem I have with considering this a symbolic attack of any nature (political, 5G, AT&T) is that the target/objective is not obvious. It doesn’t make a statement.
Yes. If this was done to send a message, it was a big fail IMO. People are speculating 5G, AT&T, technology, Christmas Day, LE. Could be anything at this point.

On the other hand, if some lone wolf, disgruntled rando was able to get ahold of and successfully detonate a bomb this big we should all be VERY worried.

Are you referring to James Holmes, the shooter during the Batman movie in Aurora, CO? Here’s an article about his booby-trapped apartment: Colo. shooting suspect James Holmes' apartment booby trapped, police say

I remember Holmes booby-trapping his apartment but I don’t remember him sending anything to police or the media.
I do know the Virginia Tech killer sent NBC in NY(I think it was them) a packet of information with his ramblings etc that they received after the fact.

Years ago I used to work at a data processing center in Ohio.

The building where I worked at was in stealth mode as it did not have the company name or logo on the building. It only had the address number on the building.

All the phone numbers where I used to work at were unlisted and wasn't listed in the local phone directory at all.

So unless you worked there or was a vendor, you wouldn't know that the building was a data processing center.

Was the AT&T building in Nashville in stealth mode prior to the explosion?

If so then only certain people rather than the general public would know what the building was used for.

I remember Holmes booby-trapping his apartment but I don’t remember him sending anything to police or the media.
I do know the Virginia Tech killer sent NBC in NY(I think it was them) a packet of information with his ramblings etc that they received after the fact.

I just looked it up. It was Holmes, he sent his psychiatrist a notebook that she got after the shooting. With our problems with the post office and covid, there could be a manifesto that has been delayed if he mailed it. JMO.

edited spelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member