UK - Anthony Parsons, 63, charity cyclist, found deceased, Argyll, Scotland, 29 Sept 2017 *Arrests*

My current theory is that he only went on the main road towards Tyndrum. He was spotted shortly after he left the hotel on that road. He passed the junction that goes to Glen Orchy and just shortly after that is a bridge-it spans the Allt kinglass. He got of his bike at that point to relieve himself. He lifted his bike over the safety barriers and rested it against the wall or fence. Then he proceeded to go down the wooden steps to the river. This is when things things went wrong. He slipped on the rocks and was carried downstream and into the orchy. His bike you may well ask, well that was stolen. This case was much easier than anyone could had imagined. The key to solving this case was in why he stopped.
You mean this bridge? How high is the water in that river usually?

You mean this bridge? How high is the water in that river usually?
yes that's the very spot...The water below is very fast . The river orchy is very near so at that point the water would be high-how high i don't know but the speed of the water would be treacherous. A tired exhausted man would be swept to his death.

Three years since I was last active on Websleuths.
This case really stuck with me. I was hoping to login and find that there was some closure - unfortunately not. I hope one day we will know conclusively what happened to Tony.

Three years since I was last active on Websleuths.
This case really stuck with me. I was hoping to login and find that there was some closure - unfortunately not. I hope one day we will know conclusively what happened to Tony.

It's stuck with me too. I feel for the guy cause there didn't seem to be any appeals or anything from family and friends. :(

It's stuck with me too. I feel for the guy cause there didn't seem to be any appeals or anything from family and friends. :(

I believe there was a general appeal by the family and one later by his son. Very low key.

I knew Tony but hadn't seen him for a couple of years, he was happily married, 2 kids in the police, plus a grandkid, suicide is just a non starter, just doesn't make sense, not just because of that, but the whole logistics of what he did on the day.

I was abroad when he was reported missing, when I got back contacted mountain rescue to offer help (am a hill walker), they said they had been stood down which surprised me. Contacted police who said they would put out an appeal if they wanted help, really dismissive.

There was not a bad bone in Tony's body. I can well believe he thought he could do this, but like others I find his whole lack of proper preperation and timeline perplexing, although he was the type of guy to get an idea and fix on it.

I have seen the comments re Ben Lawers Hotel. It is not in Aberfeldy but on Loch Tay some 15 miles to the west. This would fit into the Glen Lyon theory, and the guy who says he saw him there is pretty miffed at not being taken seriously by the police. But like all the various theories on here there is an equally sensible rebuttal as getting that far exhausted from BoO seems unlikely. If he did make it there by morning he would have had to get food and drink and rest and would have been very visible whether travelling west or east from there on what is a fairly busy road, that would be a lot less easy to disappear from as its more accessible terrain.

My theory has from day one been a hit and run and scooped up bike and all, but here again there are sensible rebuttals to this with regards to strength required not to mention being lucky with no other traffic or leaving slightest trace.

I just hope and pray as the 3rd anniversary approaches, the mystery is solved for the sake of Tony's wife and family. My heart goes out to them and him

Wow, interesting. This surely lends credibility to the theory that he was hit by a car.

Or maybe something happened at Bridge of Orchy hotel? We know that was the last confirmed sighting & we’ve never really been told anything about that sighting other than it was around 11.30pm imo.

I can’t believe it. The whole time following this case and it turns out I bump into the guys who done this quite often. I’m so sad for Tony’s’ family. I hope he’s found and justice is served. What a terrible secrete those boys have kept for all this time.

I can’t believe it. The whole time following this case and it turns out I bump into the guys who done this quite often. I’m so sad for Tony’s’ family. I hope he’s found and justice is served. What a terrible secrete those boys have kept for all this time.

Can you tell us what happened to Tony? If these boys have indeed murdered Tony, I only hope they say where Tony is located so his family can put him to rest..it’s the very least they can do after what they have put poor Tony & his family through.

Can you tell us what happened to Tony? If these boys have indeed murdered Tony, I only hope they say where Tony is located so his family can put him to rest..it’s the very least they can do after what they have put poor Tony & his family through.

I wish I knew what happened to Tony. It’s gone from a missing man, who I personally thought had been in an accident on the river, to this terrible story. I only found out about the arrests today and I’m shocked. I don’t know these guys personally but have bumped into them a few times and said hello. I’m so shocked that they’ve kept this a secret and put tonys family through this for so long. I really hope they say where he is so he can be laid to rest and his family have some kind of closure. It’s just awful! Last I heard they’d been released, so I’ve no idea what’s happening.

I wish I knew what happened to Tony. It’s gone from a missing man, who I personally thought had been in an accident on the river, to this terrible story. I only found out about the arrests today and I’m shocked. I don’t know these guys personally but have bumped into them a few times and said hello. I’m so shocked that they’ve kept this a secret and put tonys family through this for so long. I really hope they say where he is so he can be laid to rest and his family have some kind of closure. It’s just awful! Last I heard they’d been released, so I’ve no idea what’s happening.
How did you find out who it was that was arrested? And do they live locally to the route Tony was taking? You obviously shouldn't name names since there's clearly an ongoing investigation but I'm curious because there's so little information in the linked news article above.

How did you find out who it was that was arrested? And do they live locally to the route Tony was taking? You obviously shouldn't name names since there's clearly an ongoing investigation but I'm curious because there's so little information in the linked news article above.

We’re from a small town where they both went to school. News travels fast here.

Two men have been arrested -- and released pending further inquiries -- in connection with this case.

Unfortunately, the article doesn't give further details about what prompted the arrests, or who these two 29-year-old men are.

Exclusive: Two men arrested in connection with disappearance of grandfather last seen in the Highlands three years ago | Press and Journal

Well, that’s a twist I wasn’t expecting after all this time.

I hope that there’s more info being shared with Tony’s family that helps them.

Men arrested over cyclist Tony Parsons disappearance
_114709208_tonyparsons.jpg
image copyrightPolice Scotland
image captionTony Parsons was last seen on 29 September 2017
Two men have been arrested in connection with the disappearance of a man who went missing more than three years ago during a charity cycle ride.

_99392411_bikeman.gif
image copyrightPolice Scotland
image captionTony Parsons cycled through Glencoe village and was last seen at the Bridge of Orchy Hotel
''Extensive searches were carried out in the area, involving local mountain rescue teams, volunteers, Police Scotland dogs and the force's air support unit.

Mr Parsons had caught the train to the Highland town on the day he was last seen with the intention of cycling the 104-mile (167km) journey home to Tillicoultry.''

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sapphire13
Back