TN - David Vowell, 70, (found deceased), shot and killed two duck hunters, Obion Co., Jan 2021

Another thing to consider regarding the shotguns used for hunting, they can't have more than 3 bullets. The gun has to be 'plugged' to prevent the loading of more than 3 bullets. He may have been out of bullets.

so they couldn't figure from which gun the killing shots came ?
Not on shotgun shells, The jacket is plastic.

They might not be able to tell directly for the reasons Egirl stated, but they might be able to tell indirectly:

I think the firing pin on each fire arm is unique at the microscopic level. The firing pin is what strike the primer in the shell or bullet casing. This ignites the primer and also leaves a mark.

If the shot gun was pump action (most are, but some users prefer olde style breech loading shotguns), the user ejects the shell after being fired, then "racks" a new shell into the chamber to be fired. That shell can then be ejected and the cycle starts again.

So, if the ejected shell(s) can be found and the firing pin marks are unique, the investigators can say that a certain shot gun was, in all probability, fired in a certain area.

It could also be argued that a previously fired shell was ejected in the area, but not fired. This argument, however, may not carry alot of weight with a jury- espescialy if two ejected shell are found.

Last edited:
They might not be able to tell directly for the reasons Egirl stated, but they might be able to tell indirectly:

I think the firing pin on each fire arm is unique at the microscopic level. The firing pin is what strike the primer in the shell or bullet casing. This ignites the primer and also leaves a mark.

If the shot gun was pump action (most are, but some users prefer olde style breech loading shotguns), the user ejects the shell after being fired, then "racks" a new shell into the chamber to be fired again.

So, if the ejected shell(s) can be found and the firing pin marks are unique, the investigators can say that a certain shot gun was, in all probability, fired in a certain area.

It could also be argued that a previously fired shell was ejected in the area, but not fired. This argument, however, may not carry alot of weight with a jury- espescialy if two ejected shell are found.

Yes, there would likely be a firing pin impression on an ejected shotshell. That, along with the pellet size and alloy will go a long way towards identifying whose firearm was fired...

Don they know it was a pump shotgun that was used? I wondered if it was a double barrel that possibly gave the witness time to act when the shooter would have had to reload.

Don they know it was a pump shotgun that was used? I wondered if it was a double barrel that possibly gave the witness time to act when the shooter would have had to reload.

More than likely a pump. In a tense situation wouldn't be surprised if it jammed on the third shell. Duck loads can have a tendency to jam more often. Not enough oil, to much oil, re-loaded shells, not a good strong pump, lighter shells, plenty of reasons for a jam which would give opportunity. Also I could see if it was a tight quarter struggle having a shotgun would be cumbersome, tilting the gun could cause the expended shell to not be ejected or fall back in. Forensics on the shell could easily tell if there was a jam.

This is an unfortunate event. If it was an accident, hopefully we can find out what happened and there is a thorough investigation. None of these folks were your fly by night hunters, just doesn't seem like we are getting the whole correct story. Although I know there is a weird strange outer dimension that happens to guys at a duck blind and the whole who gets there first or whos blind is it; can lead to some heated conversations.

Praying for ALL the families involved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onapick
Back