UK UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly - this is the way kids grew up in the 80s but it doesn't happen now. That's really all I was saying but in a different way!

If you were a young woman in the 1980s, it wasn't like that though. Even if not in Yorkshire, the shadow cast by Peter Sutcliffe was formative of many women's behaviour and I think women today are much more likely to walkmat night than my generation

We have been aware of this on WS.

Other women have been attacked on streets near where Sarah Everard, 33, vanished in south London, police are told as close friend pleads for information to find the 'strong, beautiful' marketing worker

As the search for Ms Everard today enters its sixth day, police investigating her disappearance have reportedly been told of previous assaults on women in the area.

The Metropolitan Police received a report of a sexual assault on a lone female on January 14, on a road half-a-mile away from where Ms Everard was last seen.

Other women have also reportedly come forward to the police, saying they were followed by groups of men in nearby Balham. Another woman claimed she was followed while walking with a buggy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...desperate-plea.html?__twitter_impression=true

In my opinion that is looking likely. I think the phone call as the last known contact is important. Wording this as carefully as I can: If we presume SE were to change her destination after her phone call with the boyfriend (the phone call and to whom is widely reported) then I have found another publicly available address in Brixton which she may then head towards, which would have most likely routed her on a 30 min walk north up Clarence Avenue and then up the B221.

My thoughts exactly - also interesting that the traffic cameras closest to the address in Brixton are greyed out for Thursday evening and a large part of Friday - maybe police are reviewing those

This is an interesting theory. However, what remains puzzling is why her phone has supposedly been off, or not registering, since 9.30pm. If she had simply veered off her expected route to meet someone else, then unless they were incredibly close by, would her phone not have been detected in a slightly different location?

Unless there is more to this information that the police are not releasing. However, given the undeniably strong police presence in this immediate vicinity of Poynders Road it would seem it is not a theory the police are currently focussing on, which suggests to me they have perhaps already been able to rule out that possibility?

(As a general update, the police were knocking on doors in the New Park Road/Dumbarton Road area between Kings Avenue and Brixton Hill yesterday afternoon. They weren’t “searching” in any real meticulous way, but they were asking for information/door bell cam footage etc from the night in question).

In my opinion that is looking likely. I think the phone call as the last known contact is important. Wording this as carefully as I can: If we presume SE were to change her destination after her phone call with the boyfriend (the phone call and to whom is widely reported) then I have found another publicly available address in Brixton which she may then head towards, which would have most likely routed her on a 30 min walk north up Clarence Avenue and then up the B221.

Know? No. But we’ve based some deductions on a few things (consistent Strava runs, a cousin’s pin drop on an early map of possible routes home that has now been picked up by the MSM) and these thoughts can be found on these pages. There’s also speculation about Brixton Water Lane, given its listing as the final road of interest to LE early on (in the private CCTV appeals).

New Park Road is a street from which several runs started in the middle of 2020. And within the possible privacy zone for Craster Street, which is where all the most recent runs appear.

Before that, from when she started on Strava in 2018, runs were from Brixton Water Lane.

JMO: it's reasonable to think that she herself lived in those locations, or that people significant to her did and perhaps still do. LE are not giving out any info about her private life, so it can only be speculation who those people might be and how/when they featured in her life

[edited to correct a typo]

Last edited:
The number of violent and sexual offences listed for January 2021 looks significant, but sadly not unusual for this location.

Going back to January 2019 there were 37 similar offences reported. Back in July 2020 there were 40 reported. I’ve tried further random dates and the figures are all relatively high.

I’m not saying it isn’t significant, just that crimes of that nature don’t seem statistically disproportionate over the past few months.

Source: https://www.streetcheck.co.uk/crime/sw48pa/2020/07

New Park Road is a street from which several runs started in the middle of 2020. And within the possible privacy zone for Craster Street, which is where all the most recent runs appear.

Before that, from when she started on Strava in 2018, runs were from Brixton Water Lane.

JMO: it's reasonable to think that she herself lived in those locations, or that people significant to her did and perhaps still do. LE are not giving out any info about her private life, so it can only be speculation who those people might be and how/when they featured him her life

That’s a very good point - and one I hadn’t considered - the police could be looking at people she used to be acquainted with

As to whether Sarah's phone battery may have gone flat I'm in two minds about that. In practical terms yes quite possibly. I'm a bugger for forgetting to charge my phone and often it's gone flat before I realise.

However Sarah made a call just before the phone went silent. Don't think I've ever made a call when the battery was low without knowing it. Also almost the first thing I would say to whoever I was speaking to would be something along the lines of "I'll have to be quick the battery is running out". I think if Sarah's battery was low that she would almost have certainly mentioned it to her boyfriend. As far as I know the police or anyone else have not made any comments to that effect. I do feel doubtful this was the case here.

I also agree with other posters that the police using the term "complex nature" raises many questions. I'd expect that sort of language to be used where there were many different strands such as say the Claudia Lawrence case where you have all sorts of things going on. This case doesn't seem complex from what's been released so far. So I tend to think there's other information they're working on. I also wonder if that's why they used the term "concerns over her welfare" rather than safety? Welfare is a word I'd use more in the context of someone not taking care of themselves properly or not bring looked after rather than a word I'd use if I was suggesting third party involvement.

SBM
I also agree with other posters that the police using the term "complex nature" raises many questions. I'd expect that sort of language to be used where there were many different strands such as say the Claudia Lawrence case where you have all sorts of things going on. This case doesn't seem complex from what's been released so far. So I tend to think there's other information they're working on. I also wonder if that's why they used the term "concerns over her welfare" rather than safety? Welfare is a word I'd use more in the context of someone not taking care of themselves properly or not bring looked after rather than a word I'd use if I was suggesting third party involvement.

A few people have made this comment. However, I think it's complex because she has vanished off the streets of London and no one knows or is saying any reason why that might have happened, and they haven't found any evidence as to what has happened to her.

Hundreds of CCTV to talk to, many potential witnesses to track, acquaintances to interview, no evidence of a body, no indication that she has gone voluntary missing.

As someone said upthread, Missing Persons cases are usually solved within 24-48 hours. The team assigned at the beginning - from the 'my friend has gone missing' phonecall - are allocated to a Missing Persons enquiry, they deploy Search and Rescue etc etc. It is clearly more complex than your standard missing persons case.

ETA: what I mean is, I wouldn't infer from this that Sarah had a 'complicated' life, or that there are hidden complexities. Having said that, of course we all have complicated lives, and I'm sure there are many things they aren't telling us!

I have little of value to add to this thread, but wanted to say that I am always so impressed by and appreciative of everyone who posts so respectfully on Websleuths and are so committed to helping find missing people.

Unfortunately I am also always so disgusted, but not longer surprised, at the way the UK tabloid press post salacious half information in an incredibly unhelpful way.

I am so concerned for SE, I can’t stop thinking about her.

As to whether Sarah's phone battery may have gone flat I'm in two minds about that. In practical terms yes quite possibly. I'm a bugger for forgetting to charge my phone and often it's gone flat before I realise.

However Sarah made a call just before the phone went silent. Don't think I've ever made a call when the battery was low without knowing it. Also almost the first thing I would say to whoever I was speaking to would be something along the lines of "I'll have to be quick the battery is running out". I think if Sarah's battery was low that she would almost have certainly mentioned it to her boyfriend. As far as I know the police or anyone else have not made any comments to that effect. I do feel doubtful this was the case here.

If she answered the call with her headphones she might not have seen the battery level

Another newbie, here, I’m afraid, so apologies for any mistakes...

I live on Leathwaite, very near to where SE started her journey from and one thing that has always struck me from the beginning was, why she left the friends house by the rear gate? The garden she’d have to walk through would be dark, and you come out onto a small piece of scrub land (completely unkempt and overgrown), before you get to the South Circular Road to follow around to Clapham Common. It would add no time at all to leave the friend’s house by the front door and follow the well lit road around. I know SE was seen well after this point of her trip, but maybe it just shows that she wasn’t adverse to a little detour, even across an unlit, uneven area?

The other thing is her phone being turned off. I know someone previously asked if turning her phone onto “flight mode” stops all ping activity (I definitely do that myself, if my battery is dying, and especially if I wait to listen to music). I have to admit another bad habit I have, especially after a cheeky vino or two, is if I have an argument on my phone, I’ll hang up and turn my phone off, so they can’t call me back.

Leaving via a quieter exit might not be so odd if the friend has judgemental neighbors, given we're not technically supposed to be in other people's houses at the moment it might have been to sneak SE in/out of the house

Would it not also have sounded an alert. I've never had an iPhone but my mobile phone does that. Would be useful to know if that last phone call ended normally or if it was cut off suddenly.
Yes iPhones have this feature where it makes a sound to alert you the battery is low when on a call.

New poster here been lurking for a while but this troubling case has Finally prompted me to register.

It seems to me very strange that nothing has turned up this far into the investigation, after so many days of searching. Yes, there could be things being held back but no evidence has been shared publicly that supports an attack in the street.

It’s a fairly specific window of time and area too, one would think that any vehicles passing through would be limited and quickly tracked down. So even a vehicle abduction is beginning to look unlikely.

It seems to me with the lack of evidence thus far that she could have been lured/forced into a property as she passed. But even then you would think the police would have knocked every door and done their best to legally access the property by simply asking do you mind if we come in? Just to gauge reactions etc.

Other than that the only other thing I can think of is the timeline/route is off somehow or the police are holding back far more than we realise.

All just speculation on my part of course.

Leaving via a quieter exit might not be so odd if the friend has judgemental neighbors, given we're not technically supposed to be in other people's houses at the moment it might have been to sneak SE in/out of the house
I’ve also noticed everyone’s personal level of risk tolerance/situational awareness is so different. I spoke to some friends about this case and some of them said they would have walked across the Common at a similar time and not be worried which just really surprised me. I would never ever do something like that (too much of a scaredy-cat perhaps or sensible - who knows?). However, I also think danger happens where and when we least expect it. Perhaps Sarah would have been more alert walking across the Common but by the time she made it to the busier Poynders road she could have relaxed thinking it was safer and started listening to music etc etc.

@Lod76

Yes, the police will be withholding certain facts, you can be sure. For one, why this has a *“complex nature", when you would have thought the basics were quite uncomplex: young woman leaves friend's house to walk home and disappears.

What would complicate it, imo, would be facts withheld about SE's personal life and health.

* Sarah Everard: new CCTV footage of missing woman emerges

New poster here been lurking for a while but this troubling case has Finally prompted me to register.

It seems to me very strange that nothing has turned up this far into the investigation, after so many days of searching. Yes, there could be things being held back but no evidence has been shared publicly that supports an attack in the street.

It’s a fairly specific window of time and area too, one would think that any vehicles passing through would be limited and quickly tracked down. So even a vehicle abduction is beginning to look unlikely.

It seems to me with the lack of evidence thus far that she could have been lured/forced into a property as she passed. But even then you would think the police would have knocked every door and done their best to legally access the property by simply asking do you mind if we come in? Just to gauge reactions etc.

Other than that the only other thing I can think of is the timeline/route is off somehow or the police are holding back far more than we realise.

All just speculation on my part of course.

I don’t know if LE are just using it as an opportunity to express caution, or whether their working theory is a stranger attack, when they publicly appealed for women to take care when out (source: Cops warn ‘be careful when out alone’ after Sarah Everard vanishes off street)

EDIT: seems to be a single officer was quoted second hand, can’t see a formal statement to the media, so possibly disregard the above after all.

I personally would not have walked through Clapham Common on my own after dark, BUT in saying that I did recently walk through another park at about 8.30pm & although the park has a reputation, because it was well lit, there were quite a few people around and I knew I'd be out of there quickly, so for me it was a quick risk assessment, and decision made - also if Sarah has walked through the common at night previously, and nothing untoward had happened, she'd feel a lot safer - But I still think the most logical route would have been to walk along the pavement and not through the common

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48