UK UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021 #4 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that this is not entirely un heard of , women have provided alibi' s for their partners many times in cases, thinking Soham murders for one...

I was thinking the same. Weird? Yes. Happens ? Yep.

Seems weird that this female who lives with the police officer in Kent would provide an alibi if they're in a relationship/married and he sexually assaulted Sarah.

1. I'm sure she's aware she's going to get caught up in it all.
2. He's just cheated, providing he told her the real story... would she really defend him?

Of course this could all be different depending on who she is, a mom or sister etc.

Unfortunately, this is quite common. The clearest example I can think of is that of Maxine Carr, who was the girlfriend of Ian Huntley, the killer in the Soham murders case of the early 2000s. She provided a false alibi for him which led to delays in his eventual arrest. I think it's probably also quite common for these partners to not know the full extent of the crime when they cover for the perp(s) - e.g. they've been told it was a dreadful accident etc.

What strikes me as more unusual at this point is that the charge this woman is on is 'assisting an offender', which sounds possibly a little more complicated and more serious than 'just' providing a false alibi (which I think usually falls under perversion of the course of justice, but I'm not 100%).

Edit: I see the Soham example was given further upthread too, by Blanche.

I’m new to this site but wanted to contribute a theory... maybe I’m missing something because many people are talking about a car picking her up!
But I’m thinking that she came off her phone with the BF at that specific time because she had reached her destination ie: was she already planning visiting someone in Poynders Court on her way home and that’s why her phone last pinged around there? There must be a strong link to those flats I wonder if she knew the person and it’s not an opportunist!

This could also explain why she chose to take a 50 minute walking route rather than Uber/public transport - if she was planning on stopping off somewhere else on her way home...

I do find it slightly difficult to believe that she knew the perp in the sense that how would have they known where to find her (although knowing the POI is a cop makes this more believable) - but obviously moreso if she came to them possibly.

I guess we’ll see what happens with the search of the flats. I assume now that they’ve arrested someone they would have warrant to be able to search his property if he did in fact live there...

I do think that for the Met to announce they had an arrest and it was an officer they must be pretty sure it’s their man. There already is already bad feelings about the police in London, especially around Brixton - so I can’t see them releasing this unless they were pretty certain. I’m assuming the ongoing requests to the public for assistance/video footage is because they’re hoping to find evidence to convict if they can’t get a confession.

Quite a turn of events. I was thinking last night that the more time that passes without concrete evidence to support the most obvious explanation that the more likely the implausible theories become.

I highly doubt it was a RTA. You don't go too fast up till the bend and then it's straight after that with wide pavements, various lampposts and trees. To have an accident with seemingly no evidence, tyre marks, damage, sound of brakes and then get someone into a car on that stretch of road without numerous cars seeing doesn't seem possible. Just because the person was LE doesn't change that.

It gives more weight to getting into a car or somewhere off that main road at her own will. But if it was a marked car then you'd think the investigation would have more forward much quicker, if it was unmarked then she wouldn't have jumped in it like you might an uber. It would have taken time and feel passing cars would have noticed. In fact being threatened with a weapon might be a quicker method and as likely even if it was the officer. Perhaps she did know him as some have suggested

JMO but:

highly unlikely: police officer uses their job as a reason to stop a complete stranger and do something untoward to them.

far more likely: a person (who happens to be a police officer) is seeing/having some sort of relationship with a woman who already has a boyfriend. Woman arranges to go to his flat to end it/finish an argument/discuss things. Something goes horribly wrong (‘crime of passion’) - officer flees to eg his mum’s house (note he was ‘arrested in Kent’, not ‘from Kent’).

MOO but think this sounds far more feasible than rogue officer using his role to commit crimes against women. Not impossible - but less likely IMO.

Also think the accident scenario is a possibility - esp if eg there was drink driving involved - but for reasons people have already said, harder to cover up or to happen without anyone noticing.

The scene outside poynders Court this morning: https://twitter.com/KateACarpenter/status/1369551334593224704

The Garages/Bins are no longer cordoned off.

EwGfrVTWgAANHFU

This isn't the door cam footage. It is from her initial trip to Sainsburys to buy wine. Although the media haven't been very clear on this, Please read the previous threads

That wasn't mentioned in the articles I had seen the image posted in! It would have been good if media outlets were clear when they used it.

So this image is before she went to her friend's place. She sure is on the phone a lot.

My feeling is the officer was off duty at the time but was connected maybe through having known her previously from a dating site. I also feel the police had him in their sights and were on the hunt for additional evidence to reach a charge from CPS if confession didn’t happen. I think girlfriend provided false alibi which was not corroborated - all speculation

The suspicion needed to justify an arrest is formed by the police and is far lower than the strength of evidence needed for the CPS to agree to a charge.

Following the arrest the suspect will be interviewed, most likely a number of times, further searches and forensic examinations may be carried on certian items and at specific addresses, locations and of specific vehicles the suspect may have had access to.

The suspect will either be released without charge, released under police investigation, released on bail or charged and remanded in custody to appear at court, if the charges are serious.

I'm going to go back and catch up on the thread, as I've just woken to the news.

But wanted to observe now that I spoke to to several people (friends and other dog walkers on the Common) yesterday, a number of whom had had police door to door.

They all said that police on the ground seemed to have no clue about the direction of the wider enquiry. At the times, I thought this was mildly unusual - coppers might not say much (possibly saying that they can't tell you) and put it down to searchers/divers/door-knockers not been close to the detectives who were driving the investigation.

But now it's clear that there was an over-riding reason why they needed to stop the detail of the investigation being known to (and gossiped about) by the police.

And why it was described as 'complex'

And JMO gives further theories about why she may have 'gone quietly'

JMO but:
Also think the accident scenario is a possibility - esp if eg there was drink driving involved - but for reasons people have already said, harder to cover up or to happen without anyone noticing.
Just to revisit a CCTV image just up the road, of oncoming traffic at 9:30pm joining Poynders Road (at the last time of contact) there was a fair bit of traffic about, even though these vehicles will spread out after the traffic lights, you're right that it's unlikely an accident goes unnoticed.

Attachments

• 1614807358.gif
    1614807358.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 107
JMO but:

highly unlikely: police officer uses their job as a reason to stop a complete stranger and do something untoward to them.

far more likely: a person (who happens to be a police officer) is seeing/having some sort of relationship with a woman who already has a boyfriend. Woman arranges to go to his flat to end it/finish an argument/discuss things. Something goes horribly wrong (‘crime of passion’) - officer flees to eg his mum’s house (note he was ‘arrested in Kent’, not ‘from Kent’).

MOO but think this sounds far more feasible than rogue officer using his role to commit crimes against women. Not impossible - but less likely IMO.

I agree with you. I think it is distinctly unlikely that a serving policeman commits a random attack in a London street at 9.30pm; I think it is quite probable that there was an existing friendship or relationship between SE and the arrested man. All JMO but my assumption here is that the estate that was/is being searched is policeman's home address and that something happened there and I think she was probably not coerced to go inside.

As someone said upthread, people's private lives often run a lot deeper than we might think.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members