Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
The seven-day average of positive COVID tests in Mass. rises to 2.01% as active cases increase for third day

:confused::confused:

Expected but still ....
We’ve recently “reopened” increased capacities etc etc
I think Boston schools are all back in session now? Or almost there.
I think we’re top of the list in vaccinations now? So that’s good. Right ? :)

hate to see the news out of Italy and now france? I Didn’t realize we had states surging again :(

two localish clusters a cheer camp and something else. Wrestling tourney maybe ?

good four part Local news thing at link. Bring tissues maybe

Last edited:
The results from the study you linked leaves it as a possibility.

It says that there was an additional 4924 deaths that where not Covid-19 deaths in the study. Were these additional deaths caused by lock downs which increased deaths by suicide or from people avoiding health care?

The American Journal of Public Health (AJPH) from the American Public Health Association (APHA) publications

You'd have to read the entire study. You can also access the CDC analysis on excess deaths by state.
Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19

Or you can read an interpretation of the data that is published for laymen.

COVID-19 death toll could be higher than Florida’s data shows, CDC says | WFLA

All of these sources point to the fact that Florida's Covid death counts are not inclusive of all cases of Covid death. Just from personal experience, when my Canadian snowbird friend died of Covid in a hospital in Florida, her death was not entered into the count. I don't know how many, if any, other places don't include seasonal residents who died within their jurisdictions.

You'd have to read the entire study. You can also access the CDC analysis on excess deaths by state.
Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19

Or you can read an interpretation of the data that is published for laymen.

COVID-19 death toll could be higher than Florida’s data shows, CDC says | WFLA

All of these sources point to the fact that Florida's Covid death counts are not inclusive of all cases of Covid death. Just from personal experience, when my Canadian snowbird friend died of Covid in a hospital in Florida, her death was not entered into the count. I don't know how many, if any, other places don't include seasonal residents who died within their jurisdictions.

I have been watching the Covid numbers avidly since the beginning of this pandemic. It is been a complete "shell game" on the data. I doubt that we will ever have a true picture of the excess deaths, due to the byzantine data reporting, like your example with your friend.

The seven-day average of positive COVID tests in Mass. rises to 2.01% as active cases increase for third day

:confused::confused:

Expected but still ....
We’ve recently “reopened” increased capacities etc etc
I think Boston schools are all back in session now? Or almost there.
I think we’re top of the list in vaccinations now? So that’s good. Right ? :)

hate to see the news out of Italy and now france? I Didn’t realize we had states surging again :(

two localish clusters a cheer camp and something else. Wrestling tourney maybe ?

good four part Local news thing at link. Bring tissues maybe

Dozens from youth cheer training facility in Massachusetts test positive for COVID

“Dozens of people from a youth cheer training facility in Weymouth have tested positive for COVID-19.

At least 37 people from the cheer training facility tested positive for the virus as of Thursday, the Weymouth Health Department told MassLive.

That number doesn’t include positive family members or other close contacts, which are still being investigated, the health department said.”

Indoors? No masks or social distancing?

But why call her out in particular? She has been pretty pro-active during this pandemic (though lots of Michigan citizens have a particular dislike for her- calling her a dictator)- she shut down restaurants and other venues early on and has re-opened carefully and in stages. IMO she has done the right things to try and keep citizens of this state safe. On the other hand DeSantis and Abbott have just thrown their states open- its party time- and Dr. Fauci did not call them out specifically to ask them not to re-open so drastically- it does not make sense to me.

Didn't you say earlier that MI has had a 60% increase in cases? I would think that's why.

Didn't you say earlier that MI has had a 60% increase in cases? I would think that's why.

There has been a large increase in cases- but if you look at Florida ( like Michigan) the cases vary by county. For example, Oakland County just a few weeks ago had 11 cases per 100,000, now they have 27.6- that is a huge increase---it is puzzling

Here's the thing though: Governor Whitmer has clear guidelines for mitigating the virus. For example, in Jan. she allowed restaurants to be open to 50% capacity- masks required, seating- 6 feet between tables and an 11 pm curfew as opposed to Florida and Texas where everything is wide open, no mask mandate, etc. Yes, there is a large increase in cases, but I don't believe it is explained by the Governor opening up too much in our state. I really don't understand why Michigan has such an increase in cases. Again, I have to reiterate that not once has Dr. Fauci called out any other specific governor -- I think he knows she won't super-react and get nasty like DeSantis or Abbott---but still----

The First Big Study On COVID-19 Reinfection Is Here. Here's What It Means.
The first large-scale investigation to tackle that question was published in The Lancet this week, and it found that the vast majority of people who have had COVID-19 are indeed protected from catching it again — for at least six months. However, people ages 65 and older are far more likely than younger individuals to experience repeat infection.
The First Big Study On COVID Reinfection Is Here. Here's What It Means.

Florida is being shifty again regarding numbers, refusing to break down vaccination stats as requested.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article249865703.html

Disaggregated statistics based on race/ethnicity are being tracked by the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) for all states and nationally, and are based on publicly available data on state websites. See their website below. Note that the CDC does not disaggregate data based on race/ethnicity by state.

COVID-19 Vaccinations by Race/Ethnicity

Key Points
  • A flurry of countries around the world had suspended the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine as a precautionary measure following reports of blood clots in some vaccinated people.
  • Johnson, 56, has sought to reassure the public that the vaccine is safe and effective.
  • The U.K. leader was himself treated in hospital for Covid-19 in April and spent days in an intensive care unit.
106856811-16161802102021-03-19t185319z_639325149_rc2iem9arr02_rtrmadp_0_health-coronavirus-britain-johnson-vaccine.jpeg

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson reacts after receiving a dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine

Key Points
  • A flurry of countries around the world had suspended the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine as a precautionary measure following reports of blood clots in some vaccinated people.
  • Johnson, 56, has sought to reassure the public that the vaccine is safe and effective.
  • The U.K. leader was himself treated in hospital for Covid-19 in April and spent days in an intensive care unit.
106856811-16161802102021-03-19t185319z_639325149_rc2iem9arr02_rtrmadp_0_health-coronavirus-britain-johnson-vaccine.jpeg

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson reacts after receiving a dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine

Europe resumed the use of Astra Zeneca a couple of days ago. Following the EMA (European Medicines Agency) inquiry, which then declared the vaccine safe and effective.

European countries resume use of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine, hoping pause has not dented confidence | Science | AAAS

The overall population of Michigan is less than half of Florida, so I would expect these numbers. Yes, Michigan has less cases and less deaths. They also have less people.

As for comparing geographical locations with similar weather and outdoor activity, I think we could compare Florida and California. But from what I recall, the numbers there aren’t hugely different overall for the most part despite one state behaving very, very differently in their approach to handling the pandemic.

Florida sees same COVID case rate as California, despite no statewide restrictions

Florida vs. California: Governors’ contrasting COVID policies spark debate in the U.S.

It is at least POSSIBLE we have done things that weren’t ultimately helpful or necessary during the last year. BUT (and this is the important part IMO), we have an obligation to do the best we can with the info we have at the time. And if it turns out that wasn’t the “right” thing to do, well, we did the best we could at the time. We also, IMO, have an obligation to consider we might change our approach as we learn more. And this isn’t a bad thing. It’s not about anyone not knowing what they’re doing.

Given the demographics of Florida and the known propensity for more severe cases of COVID to occur in particular ethnic populations, I wouldn't say Florida has done exactly the same as California - but if people want to spin it that way, they will.

That being said, until Spring Break, Florida was doing well at bringing their numbers of cases and deaths down. But it is not true that no mitigation measures were used in Florida - they were used and still are used, but it's county by county and city by city instead of statewide.

Heck, they just announced a curfew somewhere in Florida for tonight - that's definitely taking action, just a different. way of doing things.

Miami Beach declares state of emergency over spring break crowds.
Miami Beach declares state of emergency over spring break crowds

"During Saturday's news conference, the mayor blamed some of the crowding on accessible travel.
"There are a lot of cheap flights," Gelber said. "Last month you could get here from Philadelphia, New York, or Chicago for $50 round trip." "

Honestly, can't someone reign the airlines in?? Irresponsible, and they have contributed so much to spreading this virus from state to state, with their too-easy accessibility. imo

"During Saturday's news conference, the mayor blamed some of the crowding on accessible travel.
"There are a lot of cheap flights," Gelber said. "Last month you could get here from Philadelphia, New York, or Chicago for $50 round trip." "

Honestly, can't someone reign the airlines in?? Irresponsible, and they have contributed so much to spreading this virus from state to state, with their too-easy accessibility. imo

All they care about is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

There has been a large increase in cases- but if you look at Florida ( like Michigan) the cases vary by county. For example, Oakland County just a few weeks ago had 11 cases per 100,000, now they have 27.6- that is a huge increase---it is puzzling

Here's the thing though: Governor Whitmer has clear guidelines for mitigating the virus. For example, in Jan. she allowed restaurants to be open to 50% capacity- masks required, seating- 6 feet between tables and an 11 pm curfew as opposed to Florida and Texas where everything is wide open, no mask mandate, etc. Yes, there is a large increase in cases, but I don't believe it is explained by the Governor opening up too much in our state. I really don't understand why Michigan has such an increase in cases. Again, I have to reiterate that not once has Dr. Fauci called out any other specific governor -- I think he knows she won't super-react and get nasty like DeSantis or Abbott---but still----

The NYT had a map of recent COVID cases yesterday- MI had a "hot spot" right around the upper mitten thumb (Port Huron?) - supposedly a variant spreading. *The rest of the mitten and the puppy dog (not a lot of people) were low numbers, FYI. I think, IMO, even state numbers can be misleading. Within 20 miles of me, there is a small suburban town with virtually no cases and a much larger town with tens of cases every day.

*UPDATE: Port Huron middle, high schools returning to virtual learning Monday

State reports 5 new COVID-19 outbreaks at St. Clair County schools

Get Access

McLaren Port Huron cited for alleged COVID-19 workplace violations

not from MI, so maybe there are other areas but the NYT map showed a distinctive "hot spot"

Last edited:
The NYT had a map of recent COVID cases yesterday- MI had a "hot spot" right around the upper mitten thumb (Port Huron?) - supposedly a variant spreading. The rest of the mitten and the puppy dog (not a lot of people) were low numbers, FYI. I think, IMO, even state numbers can be misleading. Within 20 miles of me, there is a small suburban town with virtually no cases and a much larger town with tens of cases every day.

You make an excellent point!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members