Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be a significant twist on reality.

The results from the study you linked leaves it as a possibility.
Results. Our results suggest that Florida experienced 19 241 (15.5%) excess deaths above historical trends from March to September 2020, including 14 317 COVID-19 deaths and an additional 4924 all-cause, excluding COVID-19, deaths in that period.

It says that there was an additional 4924 deaths that where not Covid-19 deaths in the study. Were these additional deaths caused by lock downs which increased deaths by suicide or from people avoiding health care?

The American Journal of Public Health (AJPH) from the American Public Health Association (APHA) publications

<modsnip>

Even if we stopped testing altogether, hospitalizations and deaths won’t stop. If anything, I would expect lower testing to make things worse because you would catch even fewer of the less severe cases, and at least SOME of those folks will isolate if they know they’re positive, thus decreasing spread.

So, even if Florida tests far less than Michigan (or anywhere else, really), that’s not helping their hospitalization and death rates. That would be like expecting no babies to be born 9 months from now if we stopped pregnancy tests. I promise we would still have just as many babies arriving 9 months from now even if we never tested for pregnancy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if we stopped testing altogether, hospitalizations and deaths won’t stop. If anything, I would expect lower testing to make things worse because you would catch even fewer of the less severe cases, and at least SOME of those folks will isolate if they know they’re positive, thus decreasing spread.

So, even if Florida tests far less than Michigan (or anywhere else, really), that’s not helping their hospitalization and death rates. That would be like expecting no babies to be born 9 months from now if we stopped pregnancy tests. I promise we would still have just as many babies arriving 9 months from now even if we never tested for pregnancy.
Up thread someone mentioned logic.

Thank you for continually bringing it to this thread.

Last edited:
Michigan restaurant owner in jail for defying virus orders

A western Michigan restaurant owner was arrested before dawn Friday and hauled to jail ...
Marlena Pavlos-Hackney, 55, will remain in jail until she pays $7,500 and authorities confirm that Marlena’s Bistro and Pizzeria in Holland, Michigan, is closed, a judge said.

State investigators said Pavlos-Hackney had allowed indoor dining when it was banned, wasn't enforcing mask rules and was ignoring capacity limits. Her food license was suspended Jan. 20, but the business remained open. “We don’t want this country to be a communist regime that’s going to dictate what we can do and what we cannot do,” the native of Poland said.

The court hearing got off to a rocky start: A man who acknowledged he's not a licensed lawyer was arrested for contempt after Judge Aquilina said it was improper for him to file a document on Pavlos-Hackney's behalf. The judge then asked her if she would pledge to tell the truth. Pavlos-Hackney didn't reply.

“I know you want to control this room but this isn't Burger King,” Judge Rosemarie Aquilina said.
“When the sign changes to Burger King you can have it your way. Right now this is my courtroom, and you will answer my questions.”

The Burger King comment by the judge is Priceless!

I don't know where to post this because my grief is too raw.

To those who don't believe that Covid is real:

My beloved friend and mother-in-law passed away from Covid.

In Tribute to My Beloved Margo:

There was a Spark
That drew you to her
There was
Something Special
You saw when
She walked into the room
You saw the Goddess
Within her
When she walked
Into the room
You saw the Goddess
Within her
I saw that same Goddess
When she walked
Into my room
I will always remember
Margo The Goddess
As she walked into
The room
Her light did Shine
Yes, Her Light Did Shine
Oh, yes, Her Light Did Shine...
... And Still It Does
... And Still It Does ...

So what does this mean? That measures taken by the government during the Covid pandemic may have caused a number of deaths that are not directly attributed to the virus?

JMOO

I think what they're saying is that the overall death count in Florida for that time period is 15.5% higher than normal, even when they add the known Covid deaths. I think they're assuming more people have died from Covid than were tested and recorded. Of course, there could be other reasons, as you mention, but that's a pretty big increase.

As time goes on, we'll be able to look back in a number of states and compare the excess death rates. Scientists and statisticians will be studying this virus and its effects for many years to come.

I don't know where to post this because my grief is too raw.

To those who don't believe that Covid is real:

My beloved friend and mother-in-law passed away from Covid.

In Tribute to My Beloved Margo:

There was a Spark
That drew you to her
There was
Something Special
You saw when
She walked into the room
You saw the Goddess
Within her
When she walked
Into the room
You saw the Goddess
Within her
I saw that same Goddess
When she walked
Into my room
I will always remember
Margo The Goddess
As she walked into
The room
Her light did Shine
Yes, Her Light Did Shine
Oh, yes, Her Light Did Shine...
... And Still It Does
... And Still It Does ...

That's so beautiful and heartfelt! I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved mother-in-law.

A western Michigan restaurant owner was arrested before dawn Friday and hauled to jail ...
Marlena Pavlos-Hackney, 55, will remain in jail until she pays $7,500 and authorities confirm that Marlena’s Bistro and Pizzeria in Holland, Michigan, is closed, a judge said.

State investigators said Pavlos-Hackney had allowed indoor dining when it was banned, wasn't enforcing mask rules and was ignoring capacity limits. Her food license was suspended Jan. 20, but the business remained open. “We don’t want this country to be a communist regime that’s going to dictate what we can do and what we cannot do,” the native of Poland said.

The court hearing got off to a rocky start: A man who acknowledged he's not a licensed lawyer was arrested for contempt after Judge Aquilina said it was improper for him to file a document on Pavlos-Hackney's behalf. The judge then asked her if she would pledge to tell the truth. Pavlos-Hackney didn't reply.

“I know you want to control this room but this isn't Burger King,” Judge Rosemarie Aquilina said.
“When the sign changes to Burger King you can have it your way. Right now this is my courtroom, and you will answer my questions.”

The Burger King comment by the judge is Priceless!

That comment is absolutely priceless!!!!

"The reason why we started looking at aspirin and COVID is because in the spring we all realized that all these patients started to have a lot of thrombotic complications, or a lot of blood clots that have formed throughout their bodies," Dr. Jonathan Chow, assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the George Washington School of Medicine and Health Sciences, told CNN. "That is why we thought that using an antiplatelet agent, or a blood thinner, like aspirin, might be helpful in COVID-19."

Aspirin Can Reduce Risk of Severe Illness or Death in COVID Patients | PEOPLE.com
Taking Low-Dose Aspirin Can Reduce the Risk of Severe Illness or Death in COVID Patients: Study

My oldest (early 30s yrs old and positive/sick in November) just told me they’ve been taking a daily aspirin -I don’t know if it’s a common thing to do post covid? But it seems like a good idea and I’m glad their dr seems to be proactive with their post/long covid treatment.

"The reason why we started looking at aspirin and COVID is because in the spring we all realized that all these patients started to have a lot of thrombotic complications, or a lot of blood clots that have formed throughout their bodies," Dr. Jonathan Chow, assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the George Washington School of Medicine and Health Sciences, told CNN. "That is why we thought that using an antiplatelet agent, or a blood thinner, like aspirin, might be helpful in COVID-19."

Aspirin Can Reduce Risk of Severe Illness or Death in COVID Patients | PEOPLE.com
Taking Low-Dose Aspirin Can Reduce the Risk of Severe Illness or Death in COVID Patients: Study

My oldest (early 30s yrs old and positive/sick in November) just told me they’ve been taking a daily aspirin -I don’t know if it’s a common thing to do post covid? But it seems like a good idea and I’m glad their dr seems to be proactive with their post/long covid treatment.

Sounds like a good idea to me!!!

Last edited:
Seems like he usually generalizes (“places opening too much too soon” etc) vs addresses them directly. Maybe he thinks it’s counterproductive to call them out specifically ? (fl/ tx) idk.

But why call her out in particular? She has been pretty pro-active during this pandemic (though lots of Michigan citizens have a particular dislike for her- calling her a dictator)- she shut down restaurants and other venues early on and has re-opened carefully and in stages. IMO she has done the right things to try and keep citizens of this state safe. On the other hand DeSantis and Abbott have just thrown their states open- its party time- and Dr. Fauci did not call them out specifically to ask them not to re-open so drastically- it does not make sense to me.

But why call her out in particular? She has been pretty pro-active during this pandemic (though lots of Michigan citizens have a particular dislike for her- calling her a dictator)- she shut down restaurants and other venues early on and has re-opened carefully and in stages. IMO she has done the right things to try and keep citizens of this state safe. On the other hand DeSantis and Abbott have just thrown their states open- its party time- and Dr. Fauci did not call them out specifically to ask them not to re-open so drastically- it does not make sense to me.
Good question. I am from MIchigan as well. My only guess is she is the low hanging fruit.
She will comply. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member