Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only two people in my family knew which vaccine before they arrived. And we were advised that it was unknown when or if other vaccines would come in. Others did not know until they went for the appointment. So it’s get what they have.

Thanks for the reply - I will probably turn up 5 mins before and ask somebody when they come out as I’m sure loads want to know what they are gonna be offered.

Paper published yesterday:
Serum Neutralizing Activity Elicited by mRNA-1273 Vaccine | NEJM

Moderna vaccine shows reduced activity against South Africa B.1.351, Brazil (P.1), and California (B.1.427/B.1.429) coronavirus variants. However, it remains highly active against U.K. B.1.1.7 variant.
Can anyone tell me what this means, though? I'm fully vaccinated with Moderna, as are my folks. Can the South African variant still make us sick enough to end up on a vent?

Lots of people wish I would chill a bit over masks, but I can't because of these variants.

I walked out on what would have been a two hour hair appointment - major do going to happen after over a year of not even getting it cut - because I walked in and saw my stylist blow-drying an unmasked client. I felt bad, but it was her own damned fault.

And that is why we have annual flu shots, due to drift and need to target new variants. We've been speaking the word "endemic" for over a year, and needing to get boosters. Especially with many folks who refuse any vaccines. I've read that most mfgs are working on such now.

Could it in the future be combined with the flu vaccines? Who knows... will take time and testing to determine such in the future.

It still does prevent hospitalization from the paper... which is #1 minimal target.

"There were no cases of hospitalization for severe Covid-19 observed in the study."

ETA: The article also used proxy serum studies to project... vs. the gold standard of double blind studies. As we know here, in vivo doesn't always equal in vitro.
I don't understand the talk about combined vaccines. Last year when I got vaccinated for something else, they wanted to be sure I had not had the flu vaccine in the last two weeks. And when I signed up for the covid shot, same deal. So if they normally want vaccinations two weeks apart, how are we going to safely combine them?

This also makes me wonder if my animals should really be getting so many different vaccines on the same day. I'm betting it's not actually a great idea but most clients don't want to go to the vet 3 different times a year for various vaccines. (OT - if your state allows it, get 3 year rabies vaccines for your animals. It's better for them.)

Rand Paul, Fauci spar over whether wearing masks after COVID vaccine is 'just theater'

Paul said there was "no evidence" of significant reinfections of Covid-19 after infection or vaccine, adding he didn’t believe there had been any hospitalizations after the two-week period following full vaccination.

"You’re not hearing what I’m saying about variants. We’re talking about wild type versus variants," Fauci said.

"What study has found reinfection with severe symptoms with variants? You’re making policy based on conjecture," Paul said.

"You've been vaccinated and you parade around in two masks for show," Paul continued. "You're defying everything we know about immunity by telling people to wear a mask that have been vaccinated."’

"You want to get rid of vaccine hesitancy? Tell them they can quit wearing their mask after they get a vaccine," the senator said, "instead of telling them the nanny state's going to be there for three more years and you’ve got to wear a mask forever. People don't want to hear it and there's no science behind it."

"If you have immunity you’re wearing a mask to give comfort to others. You’re not wearing a mask because of any science," he said.

Fauci said that vaccines, developed for immunity to wild-type COVID-19, offered some "spillover immunity" to COVID variants, but that protection was diminished by anywhere from two- to eight-fold.

"We’re not dealing with a static situation for the same virus," Fauci added.

A new study by the New York Blood Center found that all three FDA-approved vaccines show efficacy against COVID-19 variants.

"Our analysis finds that there is more than enough evidence to support that the vaccines will work against mutated forms of COVID-19," the authors of the study, published in Science Magazine, wrote. They added that the efficacy of the vaccine needs to be reevaluated as new strains emerge.

Fauci torched for backtracking '6 feet:' Based on the science? 'Think again'

Former CIA analyst and podcast host Buck Sexton shredded Fauci and the agency on Twitter later Sunday for backtracking after a year of demanding "6 feet of social distancing."

"Oh, you thought "6 feet of social distancing" was some fancy super scientific thing they came up with after years of real world testing and experience? Think again," he wrote.

Rand Paul, Fauci spar over whether wearing masks after COVID vaccine is 'just theater'

Paul said there was "no evidence" of significant reinfections of Covid-19 after infection or vaccine, adding he didn’t believe there had been any hospitalizations after the two-week period following full vaccination.

"You’re not hearing what I’m saying about variants. We’re talking about wild type versus variants," Fauci said.

"What study has found reinfection with severe symptoms with variants? You’re making policy based on conjecture," Paul said.

"You've been vaccinated and you parade around in two masks for show," Paul continued. "You're defying everything we know about immunity by telling people to wear a mask that have been vaccinated."’

"You want to get rid of vaccine hesitancy? Tell them they can quit wearing their mask after they get a vaccine," the senator said, "instead of telling them the nanny state's going to be there for three more years and you’ve got to wear a mask forever. People don't want to hear it and there's no science behind it."

"If you have immunity you’re wearing a mask to give comfort to others. You’re not wearing a mask because of any science," he said.

Fauci said that vaccines, developed for immunity to wild-type COVID-19, offered some "spillover immunity" to COVID variants, but that protection was diminished by anywhere from two- to eight-fold.

"We’re not dealing with a static situation for the same virus," Fauci added.

A new study by the New York Blood Center found that all three FDA-approved vaccines show efficacy against COVID-19 variants.

"Our analysis finds that there is more than enough evidence to support that the vaccines will work against mutated forms of COVID-19," the authors of the study, published in Science Magazine, wrote. They added that the efficacy of the vaccine needs to be reevaluated as new strains emerge.

Fauci torched for backtracking '6 feet:' Based on the science? 'Think again'

Former CIA analyst and podcast host Buck Sexton shredded Fauci and the agency on Twitter later Sunday for backtracking after a year of demanding "6 feet of social distancing."

"Oh, you thought "6 feet of social distancing" was some fancy super scientific thing they came up with after years of real world testing and experience? Think again," he wrote.

It's hard to believe that after all this time, anybody would think having been infected with Covid-19 or having two Covid-19 vaccinations makes a person immune to Covid-19
But here we are...

I'll say this is my opinion because people will believe what they want to believe, and I can find a source for almost any view whether I agree with it or not

Last edited:

I don't understand the talk about combined vaccines. Last year when I got vaccinated for something else, they wanted to be sure I had not had the flu vaccine in the last two weeks. And when I signed up for the covid shot, same deal. So if they normally want vaccinations two weeks apart, how are we going to safely combine them?

This also makes me wonder if my animals should really be getting so many different vaccines on the same day. I'm betting it's not actually a great idea but most clients don't want to go to the vet 3 different times a year for various vaccines. (OT - if your state allows it, get 3 year rabies vaccines for your animals. It's better for them.)

I was thinking like the MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella) shot... it's a combo vaccine. I don't know the answer to your questions.

I think it depends on if the "active agent" in the vaccine is "alive or not". In some vaccines the bacteria/active agent is totally "dead" (for example hepatitis A, polio, rabies); in others it's still "alive" but weakened (tuberculosis, MMR, chickenpox); others only contain small parts of the bacteria (flu, pneumococcus, haemophilus influenzae type B); and others are toxoid vaccines (tetanus, diphtheria).
Information is from the Finnish Institute for health and welfare, page in Sewdish. Vad innehåller vaccinen? - Infektionssjukdomar och vaccinationer - THL

I don't think the doctors want to combine vaccines of different "types", if in case there would be some kind if adverse reaction. In the MMR /MMRV (+ chickenpox), the combination is of the same kind.

I think it depends on if the "active agent" in the vaccine is "alive or not". In some vaccines the bacteria/active agent is totally "dead" (for example hepatitis A, polio, rabies); in others it's still "alive" but weakened (tuberculosis, MMR, chickenpox); others only contain small parts of the bacteria (flu, pneumococcus, haemophilus influenzae type B); and others are toxoid vaccines (tetanus, diphtheria).
Information is from the Finnish Institute for health and welfare, page in Sewdish. Vad innehåller vaccinen? - Infektionssjukdomar och vaccinationer - THL

I don't think the doctors want to combine vaccines of different "types", if in case there would be some kind if adverse reaction. In the MMR /MMRV (+ chickenpox), the combination is of the same kind.

Great education, thanks @FrostOwl. Makes sense.

Looks like cruises are starting back up.
Openings March 24th....

Cruises – Amazing Cruises and Cruise Deals | Royal Caribbean Cruises

:eek:
Wonder how long that will last? Too soon methinks, would hate to be stuck on a cruise ship with a Covid outbreak, we know how that seems to turn out.
I had to chuckle when I saw this on the ad:
"Upgraded Medical Facilities & Expert Care
More doctors and nurses, upgraded facilities, equipment, and sound care plans.
Safe, Timely Return Home In Any Scenario
We’ve partnered with local authorities to develop transport protocols to get you home safely."

sorry but I feel as if I am just freaking out again: am still not eligible for vaccine in my state; we have variants which they have now said that they do not really test enough to to know the full extent of their spread (!) AND we still have vaccine shortages even for eligible people- I checked some drug store and supermarket web sites today and they all say "full; no appointments; check later." Also "things are opening up:" restaurants, gyms, schools, sports.... why am I any better off than 12 mos ago?

I feel these words to my core. I’m eligible in my state but cannot get a vaccine due to availability (not understanding how there’s a surplus when people in my area are hiring others to sit on 17 devices all day to try to get an appt for them) and numbers are rising again but today we opened almost everything to 50% capacity. I feel like the monkeys are running the circus. Were the last 12 months of near isolation for nothing? It sure feels that way.
sorry but I feel as if I am just freaking out again: am still not eligible for vaccine in my state; we have variants which they have now said that they do not really test enough to to know the full extent of their spread (!) AND we still have vaccine shortages even for eligible people- I checked some drug store and supermarket web sites today and they all say "full; no appointments; check later." Also "things are opening up:" restaurants, gyms, schools, sports.... why am I any better off than 12 mos ago?

A Texas restaurant owner unveiled new surcharges for customers, including "$50 if I have to explain why masks are mandatory" and "$75 if I have to hear why you disagree."

"I just can't afford to get the virus. We'd have to shut our business down," owner Wayne LaCombe told The Dallas Morning News.

Texas restaurant owner creates $50 surcharge for customers asked to wear a mask | TheHill.
Texas restaurant owner creates $50 surcharge for customers asked to wear a mask

Attachments

• 20210319_141627.jpg
    20210319_141627.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 10
It's hard to believe that after all this time, anybody would think having been infected with Covid-19 or having two Covid-19 vaccinations makes a person immune to Covid-19
But here we are...

I'll say this is my opinion because people will believe what they want to believe, and I can find a source for almost any view whether I agree with it or not

I think they should have a mandatory class in High School called "Logic".

Then maybe people would realise that covid is primarily an airborne virus, and doing anything to prevent yourself from breathing in other people's exhaled air/coughs/sneezes/unseen spittle may give you a better chance of not getting the virus.

They should also understand that some people have a very robust immune system, and can carry that virus and spread it around without being sick themselves.

And, as you say, here we are. One year on and still people don't understand the basics.

Last edited:
Vitamin D supplements may reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, especially for Black people
Higher levels of vitamin D were associated with increasingly lower risk of coronavirus infection in Black people, according to a study published March 19 in JAMA Open Network.

"So far, the data has been relatively inconclusive. Based on these results, we think that earlier studies may have given doses that were too low to have much of an effect on the immune system, even if they were sufficient for bone health. It may be that different levels of vitamin D are adequate for different functions," Meltzer said in the press release.

Vitamin D supplements may reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, especially for Black people

Are you in Michigan? They are opening up Ford Field for vaccinations beginning March 24 for Michiganders- I don't know any of the particulars- or who is eligible and who is not- you may want to search Google for this info.

Even more evidence shows vaccinated people are unlikely to transmit the coronavirus or get asymptomatic infections

Pfizer announced Thursday that its vaccine appears to be 94% effective at preventing asymptomatic infections two weeks after people receive their second dose.

Research shows the more viral particles a person has in their mouth and nose — what's known as viral load — the more likely they are to pass the coronavirus to others. Reduced viral loads are linked to lower transmission rates.

So a vaccine should reduce transmission if it can ensure that even those who still get the coronavirus after their shots, whether a symptomatic or asymptomatic case, have a lower viral load than they would otherwise.

Even more evidence shows vaccinated people are unlikely to transmit the coronavirus or get asymptomatic infections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthernVintageMama