NJ & NM - Sean Lannon, arrested for 5 Murders in 2 States, admits to 16 murders, Mar 2021

According to court records, Sean Lannon filed for divorce and sole custody of the couple’s children in 2018, citing his wife’s “long-standing difficulty” with drug use and “issues” with the New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department.

Jennifer leaves behind five kids, including two from a previous marriage. Two of the children are described as having “extensive heart-related issues.'

Public records indicate the Lannons had financial problems while still living in New Jersey. They filed for bankruptcy in 2015, listing liabilities of more than $552,000, including nearly $84,000 in student loans, and assets of $14,197. Those records note increasing expenses associated with their children’s heart issues.

Jennifer's brother, Chris Whitman, said while the Lannons got a divorce in 2019, they were still together after apparently reconciling and planned to move back home.

Whitman last spoke with his sister in January, when he was in the hospital battling COVID-19.

Victim’s ex-husband wanted for questioning in Sunport slayings

Family Helping Children Of Former NJ Woman Killed In New Mexico

N.J. woman killed in New Mexico with 3 others was planning to move home, family says

Last edited:
Authorities also were still looking into Lannon’s claims that he killed 11 other people in New Mexico. Chavez reiterated Monday that while anything is possible, it was not probable given that there were no records of people missing from the area or other police reports that would indicate there are potential victims.

Authorities said in court documents that Lannon, 47, admitted to the additional killings in a phone call to a relative, who told investigators he expressed remorse.
Lannon told investigators that Dabkowski had sexually abused him as a child and that he had gone to the home to retrieve sexually explicit photos. Dabkowski mentored Lannon and his twin brother through a Big Brothers program in the 1980s, NJ.com reported.

Assistant deputy public defender Ronald Appleby declined to comment on the New Jersey charge, saying he’s only representing Lannon in that case. They’re scheduled to return to court on April 8, Appleby said.
Police: New Mexico charges coming after killings in 2 states | PIX11

Authorities have not corroborated Lannon's claims.

"Is it possible? Sure, anything's possible. Is it plausible?" Lt. David Chavez of Grants, New Mexico, police said, according to the AP. "Unfortunately we are still investigating that and conducting search warrants for evidentiary value."
Person of Interest in the Deaths of 5 People, Including Ex-Wife, Allegedly Admits to Murdering 16

Last edited:
According to court records, Sean Lannon filed for divorce and sole custody of the couple’s children in 2018, citing his wife’s “long-standing difficulty” with drug use and “issues” with the New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department.

Jennifer leaves behind five kids, including two from a previous marriage. Two of the children are described as having “extensive heart-related issues.'

Public records indicate the Lannons had financial problems while still living in New Jersey. They filed for bankruptcy in 2015, listing liabilities of more than $552,000, including nearly $84,000 in student loans, and assets of $14,197. Those records note increasing expenses associated with their children’s heart issues.

Jennifer's brother, Chris Whitman, said while the Lannons got a divorce in 2019, they were still together after apparently reconciling and planned to move back home.

Whitman last spoke with his sister in January, when he was in the hospital battling COVID-19.

Victim’s ex-husband wanted for questioning in Sunport slayings

Family Helping Children Of Former NJ Woman Killed In New Mexico

N.J. woman killed in New Mexico with 3 others was planning to move home, family says

i wonder if SL may have killed Lemos?

Wow. They may want to look into Philly suburbs as well because he lived there. Also Ohio it looks like.

He don't come up as having lived in Jersey, but maybe he was too young at the time. Considering he was hanging over the Camden transport for awhile it's unlikely he scares easily and it's kind of Collingswood.

Military man, and allegedly sexually abused by the BB? Somehow his twin will know something. Not excusing him of murdering anyone. Looks like he started his own war.

Bone Collector?

Aren't they thinking the NM Mesa victims are related to a sex trafficking ring?

No on both counts. SL recently moved from NJ to NM, so he would not have been in NM during the timeframe that the West Mesa Bone Collector was active. The victims in that case were into drugs and prostitution, so there was probably some trafficking too, but it wasn't a "ring" where everything was controlled by the same person or group of people. The victims were all taken from the same area, and involved in the same activities, but it wasn't organized.

No on both counts. SL recently moved from NJ to NM, so he would not have been in NM during the timeframe that the West Mesa Bone Collector was active. The victims in that case were into drugs and prostitution, so there was probably some trafficking too, but it wasn't a "ring" where everything was controlled by the same person or group of people. The victims were all taken from the same area, and involved in the same activities, but it wasn't organized.

What's your source? I haven't seen any other theories recently and it intrigues me a lot. :)

What's your source? I haven't seen any other theories recently and it intrigues me a lot. :)

Google, Koat.com, Kob.com... In the beginning of this thread, it states that SL recently moved to NM from NJ, and its also listed in every article I've read about him.

I live here in Albuquerque, and the West Mesa Bone Collector case has not had any fresh bodies in over 15 years. Nobody has been charged. There are 2 suspects, unrelated to each other, one is dead and the other is in prison. Neither of them are believed to have been part of a human trafficking ring...

All of this is common knowledge available here on Websleuths, many news articles, and google. I don't have a particular article to cite because I have read hundreds of them.

I just read that. Sorry if I'm coming off snippy. Long day, got rear ended, spent a couple hours on the phone, but I'm damn near deaf and can't really use the phone... Its been a day lol

You’re correct! I’d just add the Lannons’ bankruptcy case. If you look at NJ news sources (NJ.com is one), there are many articles mentioning that the NJ victim was a NJ Big Brother.

Hope you’re doing better!

Wow. They may want to look into Philly suburbs as well because he lived there. Also Ohio it looks like.

He don't come up as having lived in Jersey, but maybe he was too young at the time. Considering he was hanging over the Camden transport for awhile it's unlikely he scares easily and it's kind of Collingswood.

Military man, and allegedly sexually abused by the BB? Somehow his twin will know something. Not excusing him of murdering anyone. Looks like he started his own war.

What to you mean by “it’s kind of Collingswood”?

What to you mean by “it’s kind of Collingswood”?

No offense meant. I'm on the other side of the bridge so anywhere over Jersey I go by how close it is to the next town.

Figuring he was in Camden that's about 15 minutes away from Collingswood?

Most of the time I write like I speak and it gets confused in translation. Hope that helped.

Lannon told investigators he found Jennifer and Jesten Mata together at home. He claimed they were having an affair and had given the children drugs to get them to sleep. After Mata left, Jennifer thought the children were dead.

Lannon claimed Jennifer tried to overdose on heroin, saying she couldn’t live without the kids. She still had a pulse so he said he shot her in the head. He told authorities he planned to kill himself but then heard one of the children cry out and put the gun down. He said he put Jennifer’s body into a container and placed it in the backyard.

A week later he lured Mata to the home and killed him, and killed Matthew Miller the week after that. He accused Miller of selling drugs to his ex-wife and Mata.

Lannon told police he used handsaws and knives to dismember Miller and Mata to put them into plastic containers and that friends unknowingly helped him move the bins and his other belongings to Albuquerque in mid-February.

Lannon told investigators that he killed Randal Apostalon after he asked for more money to help move the containers to another spot.

Sean Lannon was awarded sole custody of the couple’s children in 2019. A plan from the NM Children, Youth and Families Department included only supervised visitation by their mother over concerns about the potential for neglect due to prescription drug abuse.

Man held in New Jersey killing charged in New Mexico deaths

Last edited:
I’ve been lurking here for years and years but only recently set up an account, so forgive me! Is it ok to discuss things like SL’s claims that the NJ victim molested SL as a child or that two of the NM victims gave the Lannon children drugs to sleep? I don’t want to run afoul of the victim-friendly rules. Thank you!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back