Found Deceased ID - Deborah Hendrichs, 56, abandoned car on I-84 near Mecham, Star, 11 Jan 2021

Family of Deborah Hendrichs says unidentified pickup truck may be involved in disappearance

"Terry questions why law enforcement allegedly did not fingerprint the RAV4 or Deborah Hendrichs’ car keys before the SUV was returned to Star. John Hendrichs has since sold the vehicle, he confirmed, stating that the loss in income since Deborah’s disappearance made it impossible for him to maintain two vehicles."

What other vehicle, besides the Toyota RAV4, do they own? Finances tight. Were they a two-income family?

Mississippi-based private investigator James Terry, who is working with one of Hendrichs’ sisters, said when the trooper arrived on scene, Hendrichs’ vehicle was unoccupied and the pickup truck was nowhere to be seen. Driving down the freeway at 70 mph, in the dark and with snow falling, the state trooper could not properly identify the truck.

The recording from Oregon Department of Transportation dispatch indicated a man, whom Terry identified as a snowplow driver that works with the department, called in to report Hendrichs’ SUV parked just past the fog line. The snowplow driver said he spoke with the woman in the SUV and she said she'd run out of gas. The driver asked dispatch to call Oregon State Police to do a welfare check and get Hendrichs some fuel.

The snowplow driver said he would set flares out and come back to check on the woman later. Roughly one minute later, the trooper radios that he’s driving east, and the Oregon Department of Transportation advises that the state police can’t bring fuel. The snowplow driver suggests that dispatch call a local service to get the woman some gasoline.

Two minutes later, the Department of Transportation dispatch calls Umatilla County indicating she needs clarification about what the trooper witnessed, because someone mentioned a pickup truck. According to Umatilla County dispatch, the trooper saw a pickup truck parked behind the RAV4, and the truck was no longer there when he arrived on scene.
Family of Deborah Hendrichs says unidentified pickup truck may be involved in disappearance

“So my female operator from the RAV4 got a ride to get some gas?” asks the Oregon dispatch worker. Umatilla County answers, “That’s what it sounds like.”

Three minutes later, a sheriff's deputy in the area reported he had not yet located the driver of the RAV4. The Department of Transportation then spoke with the snowplow driver, who was told by the woman in the vehicle she had “help on the way” but didn’t have cellphone reception.

“I would imagine that she’s probably got a ride to get fuel,” he said.

ODOT Dispatch Recording.mp3

Why is this so blasted confusing? Deborah told the snowplow driver she did not have cell phone reception, but she had help on the way? So does that mean she had reception earlier, realized she was running out of gas and placed a call for help? Does she know someone in Oregon or did she call her husband? How long did she set on the side of the road, because it would have taken him almost 3 hours to get there correct?

The Department of Transportation then spoke with the snowplow driver, who was told by the woman in the vehicle she had “help on the way” but didn’t have cellphone reception.

“I would imagine that she’s probably got a ride to get fuel,” he said.

One part I don’t understand is when she told him she had help on the way but didn’t have phone reception.
Who was coming to help her?
If she didn’t have reception, did she call for help earlier?
If help was coming then why did the snowplow driver call dispatch for help as well?

Why is this so blasted confusing? Deborah told the snowplow driver she did not have cell phone reception, but she had help on the way? So does that mean she had reception earlier, realized she was running out of gas and placed a call for help? Does she know someone in Oregon or did she call her husband? How long did she set on the side of the road, because it would have taken him almost 3 hours to get there correct?

^^^THIS^^^

Another question about her running out of gas. I knew I had read it somewhere and just was able to find this info from her sister about her activities the day before her disappearance:

“Cindy Taylor spoke to Deborah on Saturday, Jan. 9, two days before she disappeared. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, she said. She was told after her sister’s disappearance that Deborah had been doing regular activities such as housework, grocery shopping, paying bills, and even put gas in her car the day before.”

I kept thinking about this when I read she ran out of gas. I didn’t realize until now that Meacham, OR, where her car was found is only about 180 miles, or 2.5 hrs, from where she left - Star, ID.
This isn’t an exact number, as it doesn’t account for specific locations of her home or the mile marker (284) where her car was found, but based on what we know I do wonder: A) if she had a relatively full tank of gas, what had she been up to all day to end up only about 180 miles from home with no gas left (2012 Toyota RAV4 fuel tank capacity should give her about 320-350 miles worth of gas); and B) where had she been all day, if she left at 9am and didn’t run out of gas until 5pm? Or possibly- how long had she been sitting on the side of the highway?

Not sure any of it means anything, but I wonder if Oregon DOT interstate cctv has shown her entering or exiting I-84 at any point along the way and, if so, it’d be interesting to note the time stamps on those sightings so as to know if she maybe stopped in any towns or rest stops along the way? And if so, did she have any contact w anyone?

According to the Ada County Sheriff’s Office, Hendrichs drove off in her husband’s black Toyota RAV4, which they shared, following an argument early that morning.

"Terry questions why law enforcement allegedly did not fingerprint the RAV4 or Deborah Hendrichs’ car keys before the SUV was returned to Star. John Hendrichs has since sold the vehicle, he confirmed, stating that the loss in income since Deborah’s disappearance made it impossible for him to maintain two vehicles."

What other vehicle, besides the Toyota RAV4, do they own? Finances tight. Were they a two-income family?
If the RAV4 was considered his vehicle, I’m curious to why he chose to sell it instead of the other vehicle? Was the other vehicle considered ‘hers’?

Another question about her running out of gas. I knew I had read it somewhere and just was able to find this info from her sister about her activities the day before her disappearance:

“Cindy Taylor spoke to Deborah on Saturday, Jan. 9, two days before she disappeared. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, she said. She was told after her sister’s disappearance that Deborah had been doing regular activities such as housework, grocery shopping, paying bills, and even put gas in her car the day before.”

I kept thinking about this when I read she ran out of gas. I didn’t realize until now that Meacham, OR, where her car was found is only about 180 miles, or 2.5 hrs, from where she left - Star, ID.
This isn’t an exact number, as it doesn’t account for specific locations of her home or the mile marker (284) where her car was found, but based on what we know I do wonder: A) if she had a relatively full tank of gas, what had she been up to all day to end up only about 180 miles from home with no gas left (2012 Toyota RAV4 fuel tank capacity should give her about 320-350 miles worth of gas); and B) where had she been all day, if she left at 9am and didn’t run out of gas until 5pm? Or possibly- how long had she been sitting on the side of the highway?

Not sure any of it means anything, but I wonder if Oregon DOT interstate cctv has shown her entering or exiting I-84 at any point along the way and, if so, it’d be interesting to note the time stamps on those sightings so as to know if she maybe stopped in any towns or rest stops along the way? And if so, did she have any contact w anyone?

Since the RAV4 was the husband’s vehicle, is it possible that the gas she put in her car happen to be the other vehicle they owned (not her husband’s RAV4)?

To Note:
Doorbell camera footage obtained from a neighbor’s house across the street, which was turned over to Ada County by a neighbor, showed the black SUV leaving the driveway.

The neighbor has not allowed the family to review the footage themselves, Cindy Taylor said, adding that Ada County denied her public records request for the footage was denied.

Hendrichs’ sister Cindy Taylor and her husband, Tom, who are working with Terry, say the family has not been given access to John Hendrichs’ cellphone records.

Asked why he has not turned them over to Deborah’s two sisters, John Hendrichs told the Idaho Press he had already provided them to police and is cooperating fully with the investigation.

If the RAV4 was considered his vehicle, I’m curious to why he chose to sell it instead of the other vehicle? Was the other vehicle considered ‘hers’?

Since the RAV4 was the husband’s vehicle, is it possible that the gas she put in her car happen to be the other vehicle they owned (not her husband’s RAV4)?

Both great questions. Maybe the RAV4 was more valuable? As far as the gas in the vehicle, if the RAV4 wasn’t the one she put gas in because it wasn’t her car, that would make sense as to why she ran out of gas in that distance. I’m still curious where she had been all day to end up only 2.5 hrs away.

RSBM: And, even if she put gas in the Rav4 ... nothing states that she bought enough gas to fill it. Plenty of that going on these days of reduced/sporadic incomes.

And, IMO, husband has not been named as a POI or a suspect. I think the fact that another individual saw him trying to chase her down to try and stop her from driving away while under duress (and wearing one shoe and not dressed for the weather), he shirtless just after a back surgery, as she took off and he told that person to dial 911 etc is a clear indicator he was actually concerned about/for her.

To Note:
Doorbell camera footage obtained from a neighbor’s house across the street, which was turned over to Ada County by a neighbor, showed the black SUV leaving the driveway.

The neighbor has not allowed the family to review the footage themselves, Cindy Taylor said, adding that Ada County denied her public records request for the footage was denied.

Hendrichs’ sister Cindy Taylor and her husband, Tom, who are working with Terry, say the family has not been given access to John Hendrichs’ cellphone records.

Asked why he has not turned them over to Deborah’s two sisters, John Hendrichs told the Idaho Press he had already provided them to police and is cooperating fully with the investigation.
What about Deborah's cell phone records? Who did she call when she ran out of gas?

RSBM & BBM

To Note:

The neighbor has not allowed the family to review the footage themselves, CT said, adding that Ada County denied her public records request for the footage was denied.

Curious why the neighbor would not allow family of a MP to view video. Possibly told to not share by LE ? Can't think of any other good reason, although it is their video & right not to share. Has to be extremely frustrating for Deborah's family. :( JMOO

when he ran out the door yelling that Deborah was having a breakdown and to call 911, no one did? I mean, I did not see it reported anywhere that anyone called 911 at that point. Anyone else see anything about that? Did he call 911? Doesn't sound like it, IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back