GUILTY Australia - Tiahleigh Palmer, 12, slain, Pimpama River, Qld, 30 Oct 2015 *Arrests* #3

Last November, Thorburn pleaded guilty to one count of rape, two counts of attempted rape, and 10 counts of indecent treatment of a child under 12.

The offences occurred at 60-year-old Thorburn's home at Chambers Flat, south of Brisbane, where his wife Julene Thorburn ran a home childcare business.

The offences began in 2015 — the same year he murdered his 12-year-old foster daughter Tiahleigh Palmer.

Convicted child killer of Tiahleigh Palmer jailed over sex offences at family day care centre

Earlier on Friday, Thorburn applied to have his guilty plea vacated, telling the court that at the time of admitting to the sexual assault charges he was "confused" and "pushed into" it by his lawyers.

"He [his lawyer] said, 'If I pleaded guilty it would be less time [in custody] — if I went to court it would be longer time'," Thorburn said.

Thorburn told the District Court at Beenleigh he had not intended to plead guilty but he "trusted" his lawyers.

"I thought the solicitor was there to help me," he said.

"The way I was at the time, I just felt like I was just being hounded into a corner and being told, 'Just do what you're told'."
Convicted child killer of Tiahleigh Palmer jailed over sex offences at family day care centre

Thorburn also told the court that two months before the plea hearing he had suffered memory loss and could no longer read or write "properly" after an incident in prison where he was "held down" and taken to another cell.

The court heard the incident Thorburn had referred to had occurred in September 2019, when he allegedly assaulted another prisoner before he was put into segregation in a detention unit and placed under a safety order for 28 days.

Thorburn yells tirade in court room
Breaking down while giving evidence, Thorburn cried while telling the court he could remember so little after the incident that he could not recognise his wife when she visited him.

"A lady came and I didn't know who it was, but it was my wife," he said.

"I said 'I don't know you'."

His two former lawyers gave evidence and both denied pushing Thorburn into entering the guilty plea.

On two occasions while being cross-examined on Friday morning, Thorburn erupted into an expletive-laden verbal tirade against the prosecutor, judge and the media.

While in the dock, Thorburn yelled: "Let's *advertiser censored***** go home — I'm finished, I'm done", before being removed from the court room.

"I know I will never see the outside of a jail again — I'm going to die in jail," he said.

"Guilty, guilty, guilty to everything … I'm never getting out — who gives a s***."

Thorburn yells tirade in court room
Breaking down while giving evidence, Thorburn cried while telling the court he could remember so little after the incident that he could not recognise his wife when she visited him.

"A lady came and I didn't know who it was, but it was my wife," he said.

"I said 'I don't know you'."

His two former lawyers gave evidence and both denied pushing Thorburn into entering the guilty plea.

On two occasions while being cross-examined on Friday morning, Thorburn erupted into an expletive-laden verbal tirade against the prosecutor, judge and the media.

While in the dock, Thorburn yelled: "Let's *advertiser censored***** go home — I'm finished, I'm done", before being removed from the court room.

"I know I will never see the outside of a jail again — I'm going to die in jail," he said.

"Guilty, guilty, guilty to everything … I'm never getting out — who gives a s***."
There are times....not often enough, not nearly often enough when the particular suddenly sees the reality and blurts it out, ' I'm never getting out!!! Who gives a *advertiser censored*?!..... '

And all across this wide brown land, everyone nods and carries on sipping a cool, ice blocked margarita and smiling at the dog... cry me a river, Thorburn.

There are times....not often enough, not nearly often enough when the particular *** suddenly sees the reality and blurts it out, ' I'm never getting out!!! Who gives a ****?!..... '

And all across this wide brown land, everyone nods and carries on sipping a cool, ice blocked margarita and smiling at the dog... cry me a river, Thorburn.

As only Troops can. Thank you for making my day hon.;)

Oh yeah throw your lawyers under the bus.
He really is stupid isn’t he?
The family may do the usual thing and try to escape their past by changing their names but they will never be able to wash off Rick’s stink. Some justice achieved in Thorburn’s courtroom insight.
Rest in peace Tiahleigh.

Tiahleigh Palmer’s mother hopes for inquest to find out how she died

The mother of murdered schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer is hoping an inquest into the 12-year-old’s death will give her answers about how her child died.

The inquest into the death of Tiahleigh, who was murdered by her foster father Rick Thorburn in 2015, is currently listed for two days, on June 8 and 9.

When Tiahleigh’s body was found, six days after she went missing, it was so decomposed no cause of death could be determined.

There were no obvious injuries apart from a bruise to her skull, the Supreme Court heard.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member