MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #15 - Chauvin Trial Day 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited delirium:
They teach this acronym:

Not A Crime

N- naked
O- violence towards objects
T - tough (super human strength)
A- acute, sudden
C - confused, speaking incoherently
R - resistant , doesn't respond
I - incoherent
M - mental health
E - ems should be requested early.

I can understand them being uncomfortable or even intimidated but what I don't understand is why they didn't react to their concern. Why assume both the Firefighter and Williams were wrong, especially about Floyd not moving or breathing? It just seemed like too big a risk to take. I wonder if they would have checked his pulse at all if the crowd hadn't been there.
I don’t know why they didn’t react to their concerns. I imagine the crowd was distracting, but not so distracting that it should have prevented anyone from focusing on GF.

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
58s
#DerekChauvinTrial - Defense recalls Ofc. Nicole Mackenzie. She testified in the prosecution's case-in-chief. Mackenzie is MPD medical support coordinator. Nelson is recalling her to talk about officer training on "excited delirium"

Macken.jpg

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Paul Blume
@PaulBlume_FOX9
Replying to
@PaulBlume_FOX9
Early look at noontime news conference organized on the courthouse grounds. Expecting @AttorneyCrump
to bring together the families of #GeorgeFloyd &
#DaunteWright. Crump representing both families who've recently lost loved ones in deadly use of force encounters w/ area police.

News.jpg

link: https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9

and that is it for me - @Chelly - if you are around... knock yourself out! :)

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
58s
#DerekChauvinTrial - Defense recalls Ofc. Nicole Mackenzie. She testified in the prosecution's case-in-chief. Mackenzie is MPD medical support coordinator. Nelson is recalling her to talk about officer training on "excited delirium"

View attachment 292530

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Paul Blume
@PaulBlume_FOX9
Replying to
@PaulBlume_FOX9
Early look at noontime news conference organized on the courthouse grounds. Expecting @AttorneyCrump
to bring together the families of #GeorgeFloyd &
#DaunteWright. Crump representing both families who've recently lost loved ones in deadly use of force encounters w/ area police.

View attachment 292531

link: https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9

and that is it for me - @Chelly - if you are around... knock yourself out! :)

Thank you @Niner for posting these!

Exactly, if LE weren't trained.

But they were trained...

and have much much experience (in the case of Chauvin two decades?) for being around folks that are filming and stating the person isn't responding, he can't breathe etc?

(or yelling standing, pacing, video recording... which many now can understand that yelling to help the person, standing, pacing, video recording... not really a threat?)

Is that analagous to someone with a gun??? All those that were asking to check his pulse etc.???
All the training (or experience) in the world won’t prepare you for every situation, unfortunately. Every situation is different; the individual, the crowd, the circumstances, everything. When you become complacent, you open yourself up for trouble. It would be complacent (IMO) to become comfortable around people video recording an incident. Maybe 99% of the time nothing bad happens. I don’t want to take the chance of experiencing that 1%.

I might have tuned out what the crowd was yelling, but been alert by the fact that they were yelling. It’s hard for me to speak to that, I wasn’t there.

I don’t see showing this video as victim blaming at all. It is telling though. Obviously GF didn’t die during this interaction, but his and police’s reactions were similar to those of the 2020 incident.

I think the laughing/smiling is a nervous reaction. I do it to.

I think that watching the entire video of GF's May 2019 arrest is even more telling (IMO), but of course, the jury will only see the shortened version.

I don't support the defense in any way. I think DC is guilty. But in this country, the defense deserves a fair representation

I think Shawanda Hill was a good witness for defense. She showed that GF was nodding off in the car, couldn't stay awake, was under the influence of drugs. This is bottom line for Nelson. Drugs did it.

Prosecution witnesses and the autopsy already established that he was on drugs. The sleeping part was interesting, but the prosecution witnesses conveyed that once you fall asleep, you go into a coma with an OD. He wasn't ODing in the car. As soon as Lang appeared, he was animated and continued to remain that way until he died. OD victims keep ODing, don't they? The autopsy doesn't say he has partially or undigested pills in his stomach, if I read it correctly, so there's just no proof of an overdose so far in my view. Drugs were already listed on the autopsy as contributing, so I'm not sure how far the defense got with that really.

Chang: Yeah, so there was the crowd and I suppose becoming more loud and aggressive. A lot of yelling across the street.
Nelson: Did that cause you any concern concern?
Chang: For the officer safety yes.

Concern for officer safety but none for GF... Come on, now, Chang, really??

It might be important to note that he didn't say there was any concern about George Floyd, either. As far as him being unrestrainable or out of control.

I believe drugs played a part in GF’s death. I believe his heart played a role in his death. Just to name a few. I also believe DC’s actions played a role in his death. He is guilty, I’ve never questioned that. I don’t think many people would sincerely disagree. So why have a trial at all?

Prosecution witnesses and the autopsy already established that he was on drugs. The sleeping part was interesting, but the prosecution witnesses conveyed that once you fall asleep, you go into a coma with an OD. He wasn't ODing in the car. As soon as Lang appeared, he was animated and continued to remain that way until he died. OD victims keep ODing, don't they? The autopsy doesn't say he has partially or undigested pills in his stomach, if I read it correctly, so there's just no proof of an overdose so far in my view. Drugs were already listed on the autopsy as contributing, so I'm not sure how far the defense got with that really.

IMO I don't think they are going for OD'ing. I think they are going with the effects of the drugs on his heart/body in that situation. The prosecution during their case, spent a lot of time trying to say that GF was not lethargic like someone "should be" on fentanyl.

So SH's reluctant testimony shows, he was lethargic.

I want to know more about fentanyl/meth combo.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Did you notice the questions about code 3 during Chang's testimony? he said no code 3 was called.. yet I also noticed that they did respond with lights and sirens, which I believe is a code 3. I was surprise that Nelson didn't get up and on redirect get him to clarify why he responded with lights/sirens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. She’s not trying to convince them he’s claustrophobic. She can’t figure out why he won’t just comply.

agreed, however, she was not his girlfriend, she was his ex, she was more concerned about what she had been caught up in and pronouncing her own innocence of wrongdoing that day than what was happening with GF. She was much more focused on explaining that she was just getting a ride, she was not "the one" and just wanted to get the heck away from the scene.

In other words, she wasn't worried about advocating for GF, she was advocating for herself and trying to avoid whatever legal issue's were unfolding for GF. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member