Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure that this is the same recipe that I used for a lentil "meatloaf", but it has most of the same ingredients. DH enjoyed it, but I thought it was a little dry. I could remedy that by adding a small can of diced tomatoes. You could probably put the lentil mixture in your cute mini loaf pans :)

The Ultimate Vegetable Lentil Loaf - The Simple Veganista (simple-veganista.com)
I made this recipe instead of my usual lentil loaf recipe (that I posted previously on this thread) because I had all the ingredients available, and wanted to try it.

I followed the recipe except for the glaze/topping. I don’t especially care for ketchup so I used a can of tomato paste instead, and doubled the amount of cider vinegar.

I thought it was dry as well. If I ever made it again I would probably double the amount of vegetables. But probably I will just go back to making my usual lentil loaf recipe, which is moist and has a softer texture.

Thanks for posting the recipe, I always like to try new things.

I'm not sure that this is the same recipe that I used for a lentil "meatloaf", but it has most of the same ingredients. DH enjoyed it, but I thought it was a little dry. I could remedy that by adding a small can of diced tomatoes. You could probably put the lentil mixture in your cute mini loaf pans :)

The Ultimate Vegetable Lentil Loaf - The Simple Veganista (simple-veganista.com)
I made this recipe instead of my usual lentil loaf recipe (that I posted previously on this thread) because I had all the ingredients available, and wanted to try it.

I followed the recipe except for the glaze/topping. I don’t especially care for ketchup so I used a can of tomato paste instead, and doubled the amount of cider vinegar.

I thought it was dry as well. If I ever made it again I would probably double the amount of vegetables. But probably I will just go back to making my usual lentil loaf recipe, which is moist and has a softer texture.

Reactions: JDG
It’s zucchini day here. I made 4 zucchini boats with spaghetti sauce, ricotta cheese, black olives, gluten free cooked penne pasta, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. I sprinkled them with pepper, garlic and onion powders. Now that my youngest is able to reintroduce dairy we have been expanding her menu.

I took the last zucchini scooped out the seeds and cut it in big chunks. In a glass baking dish I did basically the same thing except I used cooked whole wheat spaghetti noodles. Mine is more a pasta bake.

The house smells like lasagna!
Sounds like an Italian restaurant!

I made a “shortcut” lasagne that used a package of fresh ravioli that I layered between sauce and ricotta instead of boiling and draining lasagna noodles. I just followed my usual lasagna recipe substituting the ravioli for lasagne noodles.

Last night we had Lake Superior Whitefish with pretzel and pecan crust. Nut crusts are good for mild fish like walleye and whitefish. Tonight we're having Chicken Vesuvio that I haven't made for a while. It is basically a meat and potatoes dish with a lovely sauce made with chicken stock, lemon juice, artichoke hearts, frozen peas, and white wine. After removing the chicken and potatoes from the roasting pan, you make the sauce. When you pour the wine into the cooking liquid, it creates a "volcano" from the alcohol, a la Mount Vesuvius. There are many different variations of Chicken Vesuvio that is believed to have originated at an Italian restaurant in Chicago. This version is the basis for my version of the dish: Chicken Vesuvio Recipe | Giada De Laurentiis | Food Network. Nino's is featuring their rotisserie rubbed whole chicken cut into 8 pieces, so I decided that I would make Chicken Vesuvio. Their crusty Paesano boule is also on special and is perfect for sopping up the wonderful sauce that is poured over the chicken and potatoes. Bon Appetit!

This morning I made 2 new concoctions.

First one is cheese sauce. I had no idea what to with a 2 lb thing of American cheese. I finally looked up recipes. It was a bit thin so I added another chunk of cheese. I used whole milk and vegan butter just because I had a partial stick to use up. I used gluten free flour too. When it cooled, it thickened. I think we will like it over veggies & tortilla chips.

Second one is creamed spinach. The food distribution had a 40 oz bag of fresh spinach! The recipe is from delish.com. I doubled it. I used 1 1/2 cups of Half & Half, real butter, regular cream cheese, then added a dash of red pepper and a dash of nutmeg. I probably used 4-6 cloves of garlic. I made it in a big pot on the stove. Then poured it in a baking dish and sprinkled white cheese on top. I baked it 25 min. It smells good but I haven’t tasted it yet. The reviews are very good too.

And I guess I need to fire my kitchen assistant. He keeps dumping his bowl of water so I have to mop the floor. He finds this quite entertaining. He is 9 weeks old today and will go up for adoption soon.

Attachments

• 9F0E7ADF-E2EE-4222-8623-9CB27E3B3437.jpeg
    9F0E7ADF-E2EE-4222-8623-9CB27E3B3437.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 35
  • E6C7C358-B877-4072-83BE-F538EA15AD6C.jpeg
    E6C7C358-B877-4072-83BE-F538EA15AD6C.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 42
  • C22343CA-798D-4C05-A9C7-C5FC70572196.jpeg
    C22343CA-798D-4C05-A9C7-C5FC70572196.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 45C64E09-6E83-4B56-AFE8-4E99816880B3.jpg
    45C64E09-6E83-4B56-AFE8-4E99816880B3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 9DE87383-1F30-47B8-A6F5-F0CD69F7210F.jpg
    9DE87383-1F30-47B8-A6F5-F0CD69F7210F.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 1970E39A-5DBF-4910-9E00-ABACED5CC0CE.jpeg
    1970E39A-5DBF-4910-9E00-ABACED5CC0CE.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 047D0F4C-7A92-4F59-93EB-113205E1CD6E.jpeg
    047D0F4C-7A92-4F59-93EB-113205E1CD6E.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 261
Your sous chef is adorable :)

047d0f4c-7a92-4f59-93eb-113205e1cd6e-jpeg.293504

Your sous chef is adorable :)

047d0f4c-7a92-4f59-93eb-113205e1cd6e-jpeg.293504
Isn’t he tho? What a little personality on him. He was the runt and was 1.5 lbs when I got him to foster. He nearly died and it’s been constant puppy formula, soft puppy food and soaking his dry food to get him fattened up. He’s probably 7-8 lbs now. This photo was last week. He wanted to eat.

Attachments

• F43737C2-D70C-46A9-BFC0-14182281A8CD.jpeg
    F43737C2-D70C-46A9-BFC0-14182281A8CD.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 40
Today's episode of Food Network's The Kitchen was a compilation of Sheet Pan Meals previously made by the show's hosts. I had seen some of the meals when they were originally featured but have never tried any of the "sheet pan" recipes. Has anyone here made sheet pan meals? What combinations did you use? Did they turn out well?

50+ Best Quick and Easy Sheet Pan Recipes | Recipes, Dinners and Easy Meal Ideas | Food Network
Never heard of sheet pan recipes. I clicked on the link and stopped at scalloped potatoes. They sound so good. Haven’t had them in forever. Now to update my list!!!

A year or so ago there was a sheet pan shrimp recipe going around Facebook. Ive made it several times and it’s really good. Spread prepared shrimp on a sheet pan. Sprinkle with Good Seasonings Italian dressing mix right from the packet. Scatter lemon slices on top. Pour melted butter over it and bake till the shrimp are cooked being careful not to over cook. Really tasty.

Isn’t he tho? What a little personality on him. He was the runt and was 1.5 lbs when I got him to foster. He nearly died and it’s been constant puppy formula, soft puppy food and soaking his dry food to get him fattened up. He’s probably 7-8 lbs now. This photo was last week. He wanted to eat.
He’s adorable! And such soulful eyes!!

Never heard of sheet pan recipes. I clicked on the link and stopped at scalloped potatoes. They sound so good. Haven’t had them in forever. Now to update my list!!!
We have used sheet pan recipes for fresh vegetables for a few years now.

The most basic recipe we use most often:

Cut up fresh vegetables into chunks (carrots, potatoes, broccoli etc) or slice in half (Brussels sprouts, onions) then put into a bowl. Add some olive oil and seasoning (salt and pepper, or anything else you want, like garlic, smoked paprika, etc). Stir the vegetables then place on sheet pan and bake at 425 degrees until done.

You can also sprinkle fresh herbs on top, like rosemary or dill.

You can bake for a short time until they are tender or for a longer time if you want them roasted and starting to get crisp.

I line my sheet pan with parchment paper to make for super easy cleanup.

If I had odds and ends of leftover fresh vegetables I chop them all up and bake on sheet pan. Carrots and potatoes are some of my favorites.

Last night my daughter made a really good sheet pan dinner by roasting Brussels sprouts and edamame, seasoning with some Asian spices. Served over rice with a little olive oil and fresh herbs.

I've been roasting vegetables for years and have also roasted shrimp after watching Ina Garten do it. Sprinkle large raw shrimp with olive oil, salt, pepper, a little Old Bay seasoning and roast for several minutes per side. Serve with cocktail or tartar sauce. I've roasted vegetables and potatoes separately and in combinations. I've shared previously that we roast cod or other sturdy fish with assorted vegetables wrapped in parchment or foil. Place the fish on a bed of spinach, season the fish with salt, pepper, Old Bay, and/or fresh herbs, top with tomato and lemon slices, capers or olives, and drizzle with white wine or Pernod. Roast at 350* for 35-40 minutes until fish flakes easily. Delicious one-pan dinner :)

I haven't tried an entire dinner on a sheet pan because I can't be sure that everything will be cooked to the correct "doneness". I've roasted chicken on a sheet pan but never in combination with other foods. I suppose the best thing to do is experiment with one of the sheet pan dinners on the Food Network list and take my chances that it will turn out alright.

Last edited:
I purchased 4 professional quality sheet pans several years ago and we use at least one every day. Sometimes we use all four between the three meals.

Is this something you do year round, or just in cold weather? We avoid turning on the oven during the summer as it seems to make the entire house hot. DH grills vegetables that would ordinarily be roasted during the winter. But for an occasional potato salad (not a fan), I rarely cook potatoes during the summer. I steam broccoli for pasta salads, and we eat a lot of raw veggies and salads. Eggplant, summer squashes, colorful peppers, and onions wonderful when marinated in salad dressing or brushed with olive oil and grilled.

I make sheet pan ratatouille often. Eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes with olive oil and seasoning. Roast in a 425 oven. Sometimes add sausage (the smoked eckridge)

Roasting on a sheet pan is really easy and while it takes time, very little is on prep. You can get home from work and prep and put in oven and then do your daily cleaning and relax and an hour later you have a meal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes