GUILTY OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup!

And this is probably the reason the Wagners were recorded all over the place and on their phones also. How could they not know about phones? They bought a phone jammer, they stole 2 phones......

They often said they were being recorded yet continued to be careless.

Yes, isn't that peculiar? They were recorded talking about being recorded, but continued to talk away!

Last edited:
I agree. He appeared very sincere. His facial grimace was definitely trying not to cry. There were no smirks or smiles when the judge was speaking to him, as had been seen in the past.

This guy is almost 30 years old, and on 4/22/2021 it was the first time we've seen him actually act like a man. About dang time. JMO

His not acting like a man until almost 30, imo, speaks to the extreme dysfunction and emotional abuse-for lack of a better term-going on at home. I do think there was abuse, but I hesitate to use that term in light of the horrific murders they committed. I'm in no way minimizing them. I would like to know if the abuse started with FW or if it goes back further. What is known of FW's now deceased husband? Did he cow-tow to her or was he a force to be reckoned with too? TIA

When girls and boys are not permitted to grow up or not made to grow up, either scenario can have disastrous consequences. MOO

His not acting like a man until almost 30, imo, speaks to the extreme dysfunction and emotional abuse-for lack of a better term-going on at home. I do think there was abuse, but I hesitate to use that term in light of the horrific murders they committed. I'm in no way minimizing them. I would like to know if the abuse started with FW or if it goes back further. What is known of FW's now deceased husband? Did he cow-tow to her or was he a force to be reckoned with too? TIA

When girls and boys are not permitted to grow up or not made to grow up, either scenario can have disastrous consequences. MOO
A very wise therapist once told me, "Children learn what they see." I think that quote easily speaks volumes as far as GW4 and JW learning from BW's behavior, based on the other acts evidence. I couldn't speak for FW or her husband's influence on BW, though. Not sure who wore the pants in the elder family members.

But, I must say I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about children not being made to, or allowed to, accept responsibility for their actions leads to nothing but trouble when they become adults. I have seen this in members of my own family and also my former husband. They can't make it on their own and have to rely on mommy or daddy to take care of them, or they resort to illegal means to provide for themselves because they're too lazy to work hard and provide their own living. JMO

Speaking of family influence - admittedly, the details of this case became too much for me and I had to step back.

I'm curious -- whatever happened to the charges against FW and Angela's mother RN?

Billy's mother Fredericka Wagner and Angela's mother, Rita Newcomb, are out on bond. Newcomb is charged with perjury, forgery and obstruction of justice for allegedly forging custody documents. Fredericka Wagner is accused of lying to the grand jury.

During their arraignment hearings, Asst. Attorney General Angela Canepa said that informant told investigators the family had plotted revenge on lead investigators if any of them were arrested. They'd also allegedly talked about how they would try to escape, if caught.

Nov 21, 2018
Court dates set for Wagner family in Rhoden family murders

Speaking of family influence - admittedly, the details of this case became too much for me and I had to step back.

I'm curious -- whatever happened to the charges against FW and Angela's mother RN?

Billy's mother Fredericka Wagner and Angela's mother, Rita Newcomb, are out on bond. Newcomb is charged with perjury, forgery and obstruction of justice for allegedly forging custody documents. Fredericka Wagner is accused of lying to the grand jury.

During their arraignment hearings, Asst. Attorney General Angela Canepa said that informant told investigators the family had plotted revenge on lead investigators if any of them were arrested. They'd also allegedly talked about how they would try to escape, if caught.

Nov 21, 2018
Court dates set for Wagner family in Rhoden family murders

Charges dismissed on FW but can refile if they get the right evidence.

Rita Newcomb

Felony Charge #1 #2 #3 and #5 DROPPED
Felony Count 4 has been changed to a misdemeanor.

12/02/2019 - PLEA OF GUILTY -- DEFENDANT HAS ENTERED A PLEA OF GUILTY TO THE STIPULATED LESSER INCLUDED OFFENSE OF COUNT 4, TO WIT: OBSTRUCTING OFFICIAL BUSINESS, 2921.31, M-2

Rita Newcomb Plea Deal
upload_2021-4-26_15-56-14.png

https://www.pikecountycpcourt.org

Last edited:
Luke is now age 28 -- I believe he was about 23 when he took part in the murders.

In addition to a discussion of his family's influence - facts about brain development shouldn't be ignored. I recall being in college when also learning about the studies used by auto insurance and car rental companies when setting age 25 as their baseline for assessing risk.

The rational part of a teen's brain isn't fully developed and won't be until age 25 or so. In fact, recent research has found that adult and teen brains work differently. Adults think with the prefrontal cortex, the brain's rational part.

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) studies have made it possible for scientists to watch the rate at which the PFC matures, and have discovered the male brain doesn't fully develop until age 25. Meanwhile, women experience a maturity rate of 21 years-old.

When the Brain Starts Adulting

Understanding the Teen Brain - Health Encyclopedia - University of Rochester Medical Center.

Charges dismissed on FW but can refile if they get the right evidence.

Rita Newcomb Plea Deal:
View attachment 294577

12/02/2019 PLEA OF GUILTY -- DEFENDANT HAS ENTERED A PLEA OF GUILTY TO THE STIPULATED LESSER INCLUDED OFFENSE OF COUNT 4, TO WIT: OBSTRUCTING OFFICIAL BUSINESS, 2921.31, M-2

https://www.pikecountycpcourt.org

I don't think RN was involved in anything more than trying to help her daughter cover up the forgery of the custody docs. She didn't have the financial resources or ability to assist the Wagners in any other way.

FW, on the other hand, probably did. They can file new charges against her, if applicable. The old ones might not apply. One was for trying to influence or lying to the Grand Jury, the other I think was interfering with an investigation.

178577673_4062428917141777_2022481707696902708_n.jpg

178396592_4062429397141729_3585270668421038678_n.jpg

178542689_4062429753808360_4052885957474129659_n.jpg

178391608_4062430070474995_3005500455279855341_n.jpg

178645788_4062430437141625_4052401454866972845_n.jpg

Thank you, Covert Operative! :)

That may be so, but the Ws lived pretty mean lives. Angela stealing from her employers, the boys still living with their parents with their own children in that awful small house with dead animal heads on the walls.

I agree they lived mean lives. Agree on the dead animal heads all over the walls in that house. Yep, AW stole from her employers. Nice lady. The boys seemed to think it was normal that they provide a roof over their parents' heads and help support them. I would understand this if their parents were old and infirm, but that wasn't the case. It seemed to be expected of them and they seemed to be good with it. Not sure how either brother ever thought that a wife or potential wife would go along with this living arrangement for very long, having their children call AW "mom", and put up with the emotional and physical abuse and the crazy.

DeWine said the motive was control and custody of a child, but he didn't elaborate further on that. I hope we learn more details on that. I suspect the real motive behind needing control and custody of the child was financial because it's the only thing that explains the "why" as well as the "evil" to me.

All JMO

Yes, isn't that peculiar? They were recorded talking about being recorded, but continued to talk away!

It is peculiar, but perhaps the R's were pissed about it and wanted the W's to know they knew they were being recorded, but the R's had no idea that the W's were actively planning their murders. IDK. JMO.

April 23, 2021

Prosecutors alleged the Wagner family planned the killings for months, motivated by a custody dispute. According to Canepa, Jake Wagner tried to convince Hanna Rhoden to agree to shared custody of their daughter and she refused. Wagner was able to gain access to two Facebook accounts and found a post from Hanna saying she would never agree to those terms.

Jake Wagner began dating Hanna Rhoden when she was 13. She became pregnant when she was 15, Canepa said.

The family after the slayings were questioned by authorities at the U.S.-Canadian border, where a laptop was seized. Forged documents were found on the computer purporting that Hanna Rhoden had agreed to shared custody.

Hanna had been part of the Wagner family for most of her life -- like a daughter/sister to the extended family. Jake allegedly worked too many hours on the farm and/or trucking and didn't have enough time for Hanna. I think these are typical complaints of somebody Hanna's age. She also hoped to one day have a nursing career and I think as the teens matured - so would their parenting plan.

I'm still not accepting that custody of a three-year-old was the primary or sole reason why 8 people were massacred. Although I think the prosecutor had evidence to support this theory -- what else was behind these murders not discussed (because the state lacked evidence to prove)?

I always thought fleeing to Alaska during the investigation had to be one of the dumbest moves. And didn't the Wagners say they moved to Alaska because they thought it was the best environment to raise Jake and Hanna's daughter?

MOO

The Columbus Dispatch has been following the story since the bodies were first discovered in April 2016. Links to our complete coverage is below:

I don't think RN was involved in anything more than trying to help her daughter cover up the forgery of the custody docs. She didn't have the financial resources or ability to assist the Wagners in any other way.

FW, on the other hand, probably did. They can file new charges against her, if applicable. The old ones might not apply. One was for trying to influence or lying to the Grand Jury, the other I think was interfering with an investigation.

Obstruction of Justice was the 2nd Charge for FW.
Yah, I agree they could file brand new charges against FW as opposed to reinstating the same old ones.

Also agree that RN had no $$ involvement, I don't think she had any involvement. I don't think she knew anything because apparently Angie went behind her back when forging her signature instead of including her from day one.

Compare RN to FW

On the other hand FW was included. I think this because The Wagners apparently asked FW to lie to the GJ and the day prior to her GJ testimony she searched "how to lie to a GJ."

Also, they would meet together at FW's house where FW was present during some of the Wagner's conversations.

FW spoke to the press several times defending them and said she told LE who she thinks did it, thus, George's lawyer wants to get a Deposition from her in case she can't make it to trial to reveal her suspects before the Jury.

She has the money to buy things for them including buying Billy 2 bulletproof vests in different sizes in case one didn't fit his gigantic girth.

Her property was searched 2 or 3 times including scuba divers and she said they would find zero nothing.

She discussed her GJ testimony with the 4 Wagners against the Judge's orders.

She said none of them were anywhere near there (UHR) that night.

2 Cents...My point of view only.
Links for all of this have been posted many times but I will be happy to get links if anyone wants. Source: Wagner Hearings and MSM articles and FW's
Interviews on video.

Last edited:
Yup!

And this is probably the reason the Wagners were recorded all over the place and on their phones also. How could they not know about phones? They bought a phone jammer, they stole 2 phones......

They often said they were being recorded yet continued to be careless.

According to AC in the hearing they took six phones.

Thank you, Covert Operative! :)

I agree about RN. I think that was the extent of her involvement. I don't think she was capable of much else. And I believe that once she realized the truth, she came forward with it. She was likely taken advantage of.

FW on the other hand.... Her previous charges still apply. MO, she still broke those laws she was accused of breaking. I think the only reason it was all dismissed without prejudice is because AC was unwilling to show her hand at that time. Had she of gone forward with the case then, she would have had to. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. He appeared very sincere. His facial grimace was definitely trying not to cry. There were no smirks or smiles when the judge was speaking to him, as had been seen in the past.

This guy is almost 30 years old, and on 4/22/2021 it was the first time we've seen him actually act like a man. About dang time. JMO

Ole Jake finally got his mind right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members