Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #54 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know for sure. But she reached out to a local domestic violence group and apparently started attending. Big clue there. Then, there are the controlling body language pictures.

I suspect there was financial abuse (he used her money to buy the Puma Path house - and is still abusing her money because he sold that house and is going to put the money into his defense - which is also financial abuse of his daughters).

Salida residents have posted in various facebook groups about things said at the local high school and in town about the fear that some of Barry's family members had of him and his temper.

Frankly, having to live with someone who goes off and punches a work associate is scary. Being impulsive and hotheaded is foundational to most abusers - and then of course, there are the fancy vacations and the extensive making up periods (which Suzanne's love note to Barry indicates to me).

That "choke hold" hug that he uses is, in my opinion, rarely used past high school by couples who value each others' autonomy.

The "Oh, Suzanne" at the beginning of the video is a way of blaming Suzanne for what happened to her. Nearly all or all abusers think it's the victim's fault when they lose it. "You made me do it" is in those words and all over his face.

She, on the other hand, always looks incredibly sweet, conciliatory and mild. That was their dynamic. Him, tough guy Tarzan with the guns and the hunting (he is not a great hunter, that was part of his act), and her, sweetly standing by her man.

Selling the Indiana property (half of the money would have been hers) was obviously in the works before she died, but selling the Colorado property was not - he, the murderer, went to court and got control of his victim's money right under the nose of the investigators and all of us watching.

So, I think we'll find out that he terrorized Suzanne with his temper and his tantrums, but right now I believe there's good evidence of a financially controlling husband and I regard that as abuse.
BBM.
One of the youtubers mentioned no ribbons displayed at the Morphew house in Indiana.
This was my first thought.
They feared him and his reaction.
Such a sad situation. The Moorman and Morphew family were close for many years.
Suzannes own sister opined on this today.
The Moormans are people of faith.
Full of forgiveness.
Amazing family, IMO.

After all the anticipation,felt a bit let down by that.No new information.

I think if you follow lots of crime cases all the way to trial, that we did get amazing information today. The most important piece is that Barry tried to bribe or threaten a public safety official. Whether that person was LE or a firefighter, that's a very bad look for Barry, isn't it?

And now we know the primary foundation on which the trial will be built. Why would an innocent person try to threaten or bribe LE?

We also learn that Barry either has no self control (and threatened or tried to bribe a public official) or that he actually believes so fully in his own charming power of persuasion that others will commit a crime on his behalf, in order to cover up the murder of his wife.

I have researched the local politics of Salida/Chaffee County quite a bit and read all the local online newspapers back for a few years (there are now two - Chaffee County, like much of western Colorado, has a political divide and many other things going on - some of which can be traced to associates of Barry). It's possible that the group who advised Barry in the early days of the disappearance (the guys hanging out at GD's house) led him to believe that this strategy would work.

But it's more likely that Barry, when he saw that he had screwed up and that the public official was not buying what he was selling, lost his temper and threatened that person. Per his usual.

DA Linda Stanley:

"Today is a Good Day...They Never Quit."

"Today is All About Suzanne!"
Rock and roll. I know LE said it isn’t a time for celebration, but I’m personally having a toast to one more wife murderer off the streets and monster who snuffed out the beautiful life of a woman AND her daughters. Divorce too much for ya? How’s jail! Say hello to Watts, S and D Peterson, PF, and everyone else!

I really like her, but seems like some people really don't.

<modsnip> It was clear she is the D.A. in charge. No doubt about that.

jmo
I'm born and raised in Colorado, and her clothing seemed pretty typical for Southern Colorado to me. In Denver you would expect a DA in a suit, but not in Salida. People get suspicious if you dress up too much in rural Colorado, it's just the culture. I also thought she sounded more confident than arrogant. And a bit protective of her investigators, which I get, especially as she knows what all they've been able to unearth in this case. All just my opinion of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shocker. He lawyered up and hasn’t said anything.
Total speculation of course but, who did Barry talk on the phone with on his way to "the scene" of Suzanne's obviously staged bike?

Wasn't he also a volunteer FF? Would he be considered a "public official"? The legal docs say the crime occured on May 10, 2020 so... is it possible GD's interview with LE lead to this charge?

A “Public Official” could be so many people. I’m considered a “Public Official” and I promise you, I’m not LE or a FF or anything remotely that important.

Typical press conference these days. Waste of time. No information given, no questions answered.
Best part was the DA saying the day was about Suzanne and those who loved her...so...perhaps then she could have shown a little respect and dressed more professionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419