Nepal/China - 10 People in 9 Days Die on Mt. Everest as 320 pack dense trail "death zone", May 2019

Oh boy, it’s bragging rights season again.

Nobody thinks they will be one who will die. Hopefully it won’t be as deadly as the last climbing season.

I just read this excerpt from "The Everest Politics Show: Sorrow and strife on the world’s highest mountain (Footsteps on the Mountain Diaries)" by Mark Horrell -

"On a more sobering note, over dinner Phil talks for the first time in detail about what he saw at the avalanche site. Most of the victims died not from being buried alive, but from shards of ice exploding from the serac like shrapnel. ‘There were decapitations up there,’ he says.

Yikes!

Last edited:

Nobody thinks they will be one who will die. Hopefully it won’t be as deadly as the last climbing season.

I just read this excerpt from "The Everest Politics Show: Sorrow and strife on the world’s highest mountain (Footsteps on the Mountain Diaries)" by Mark Horrell -

"On a more sobering note, over dinner Phil talks for the first time in detail about what he saw at the avalanche site. Most of the victims died not from being buried alive, but from shards of ice exploding from the serac like shrapnel. ‘There were decapitations up there,’ he says.

Yikes!

Whoa! That’s pretty gruesome!

Yikes!
IMO the deaths and stories about deaths just feed the allure. If no one ever died, if there was no possibility you could die, why would people care about it? It'd be just a walk in the park.

I think it will only end if technology makes it routine: an oxygen pipeline, an escalator, helicopters that can ferry people to the top for a quick photo opportunity.

Kind of like how ridiculous it would seem now if someone tried to fly across the Altantic in a tin can, like Lindbergh, when they can just hop on a jet.

I agree. Inexperienced climbers have no place on Everest. They put poor people in danger simply for their ego.
Yup. I’m not sure what the Chinese require, but the Nepalese should limit the number of permits and require the climber to have summitted at least two other 8000 m peaks before allowing them on Everest. That will thin the herd and get the short-ropers off the mountain.

Want up Everest? Go climb Nanga Parbat and Annapurna first, then we’ll talk.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back