Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #49

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if I was the prosecution, I would have asked for him to go through the testimony again. I would have asked him to tell me exactly what happens just to make sure we are clear. Then waited for him to misspeak. I would ask for clarification for exactly when the phone and keys were taken from him. What exactly where the men wearing. Long pants and a sweater.. did they have gloves, what exactly did the mask look like. I mean hell if there are 2 masked crazy murders on the loose shouldn't we all be alarmed? I don't think he would repeat that story exactly like he did when he was being lead by his attorney.
I had read that the jury was getting a bit restless by that point. Surely the prosecution takes note of that and it is probably why they stopped when they did.

The whole story was so absurd that you probably don’t want to take a chance of totally loosing their attention.

I think if I was the prosecution, I would have asked for him to go through the testimony again. I would have asked him to tell me exactly what happens just to make sure we are clear. Then waited for him to misspeak. I would ask for clarification for exactly when the phone and keys were taken from him. What exactly where the men wearing. Long pants and a sweater.. did they have gloves, what exactly did the mask look like. I mean hell if there are 2 masked crazy murders on the loose shouldn't we all be alarmed? I don't think he would repeat that story exactly like he did when he was being lead by his attorney.

I'd ask questions like: Did they go through your house to see if anyone else was there? Did they take anything from your house? If they were hiding down in your car, how did they see Mollie? Anything to trip him up.

So many gaping wholes of information. I couldn't watch the trial, so maybe I'm just missing parts, but:

1) Who was the girl he was supposed to go out on a date with and was she ever interviewed to confirm that date?

2) Where are the phone records showing DJ's phone was inactive.

3) Why not put UF on the stand? What's his alibi?
These are great thoughts. I'm going to add them to a few thoughts I have.

I had read that the jury was getting a bit restless by that point. Surely the prosecution takes note of that and it is probably why they stopped when they did.

The whole story was so absurd that you probably don’t want to take a chance of totally loosing their attention.
Agree. Also, don't give CB a chance to fill in gaps and clarify. Just leave it as is and point out the failings in closing.

Me too. Would have hammered down and asked multiple questions about her Mollie being laid down fully dressed also.
I guess the ninjas came back and stripped her. Or maybe it was Pescha?

Ok we have two men walking around rural Iowa wearing sweaters and some sort of full-face mask in the middle of July, in full humidity. Ya right!

His trunk would’ve had to be completely soaked with her blood if this story were true.

He got out and inspected the trunk where he found Tibbetts' body. He said there was a little movement but no signs of life. Since there was movement he had no proof she was dead. If this were true, and it's not, but it were true,he put her out in that cornfield and laid stocks over her, he just indangered her life and left her to die.

He was worried about the safety of his daughter and his ex... so worried that he immediately made other arrangements for them and their protection. If I was prosecution I would have said "so what arrangements did you make and put in place for their safety please, give me an explanation of that." (Yet, today, he isn’t worried about their safety.)

Strange how he cannot speak English or understand it-- but perfectly understood the two masked men.

Who was the girl he was supposed to go out on a date with and was she ever interviewed to confirm that date?

Where are the phone records showing DJ's phone was inactive.

Why not put UF on the stand? What's his alibi?

Why wasn't he asked where his bloody shirt is?

He left the phone and the earbuds on the side of the road. Really? How many people are walking out there or how much traffic is going on out there? None. Maybe we've got a little birdie who swiped the phone is jamming to music. Not. No it would still be there.

Anyone else notice prosecution's last question was to confirm that the defendant was the only one who could have led police to the body? I heard it. He said "yes." Um no. Two masked men could have also. He just sunk himself. He is a liar.

Last edited:
Oh, you missed a show @katydid23 -- a la Jodi Arias!!
Yep. He claims he himself was kidnapped by masked men who forced him to participate in the kidnapping and to drive them to the corn field. It was just absurd.
There's a good summary of his story upthread posted by Pommy Mommy. He claims he was kidnapped by two masked men and they forced him to drive, then killed Molly and put her in the trunk! Then he put her body in the corn and covered it with stalks to keep it from the sun.

Says he was afraid to talk because they threatened to kill his family, his daughter and her mother.
You have some catching up to do, my friend.
YUP---just watched some of his Jodi Arias themed ninja testimony. Not very creative, it is like plagiarism...

I have a question. There was a long time between the time he was so cruelly kidnapped and his family was threatened. Did he take his child into protective care and try to leave the ares?

Did he tell his ex to take extra precautions because of this deadly threat?

Ok we have two men walking around rural Iowa wearing sweaters and some sort of full-face mask in the middle of July, in full humidity. Ya right!

His trunk would’ve had to be completely soaked with her blood if this story were true.

He got out and inspected the trunk where he found Tibbetts' body. He said there was a little movement but no signs of life. Since there was movement he had no proof she was dead. If this were true, and it's not, but it were true,he put her out in that cornfield and laid stocks over her, he just indangered her life and left her to die.

He was worried about the safety of his daughter and his ex... so worried that he immediately made other arrangements for them and their protection. If I was prosecution I would have said "so what arrangements did you make and put in place for their safety please, give me an explanation of that." (Yet, today, he isn’t worried about their safety.)

Strange how he cannot speak English or understand it-- but perfectly understood the two masked men.

Who was the girl he was supposed to go out on a date with and was she ever interviewed to confirm that date?

Where are the phone records showing DJ's phone was inactive.

Why not put UF on the stand? What's his alibi?

Why wasn't he asked where his bloody shirt is?

He left the phone in the earbuds on the side of the road. Really? How many people are walking out there or how much traffic is going on out there? None. Maybe we've got a little birdie who swipe the phone is jamming to music. Not. It would still be there.

Anyone else notice prosecution's last question was to confirm that the defendant was the only one who could have led police to the body? I heard it. He said "yes." Um no. Two masked men could have also. He is a liar.
That would have been a great question! Were the ninjas speaking Spanish or English?

Ok, I had a fluent Spanish speaker confirm for me.

CBR: Yo no vi la sangre en ella
"I didn't see the blood on her"

Interpreter: "Ah, there was no more, there was no longer any blood on her"

That is some sloppy interpreting! Not seeing blood and saying there was no longer any blood are two different things. Saying no longer implies it was there at some point. I'm confused as to why the interpreter didn't say exactly what CBR said.

Now I feel like I need to go back and get everything CBR has said translated again...

So closings are tomorrow?:eek:

All it takes is one moron to believe this ridiculous story.I am a bit nervous. The state has to do a very clear and amazing closing to overcome this pack of lies just given to the jury.

I think Dalton kind of rubs people the wrong way. I hope the jury doesn't hate him.In hindsight, the defense did an adequate job now to dirty up DJ and friends, making them scapegoats in this fantasy story.

It would be so frightening, immoral and wrong to allow this killer to walk free from this. :mad:

Ok, I had a fluent Spanish speaker confirm for me.

CBR: Yo no vi la sangre en ella
"I didn't see the blood on her"

Interpreter: "Ah, there was no more, there was no longer any blood on her"

That is some sloppy interpreting! Not seeing blood and saying there was no longer any blood are two different things. Saying no longer implies it was there at some point. I'm confused as to why the interpreter didn't say exactly what CBR said.

Now I feel like I need to go back and get everything CBR has said translated again...
That is a bit worrying. I never like having to use interpreters in court cases, whether trial or depositions, precisely for this reason. You don't really know if it is accurate and sometimes the precise words make a difference.

All it takes is one moron to believe this ridiculous story.I am a bit nervous. The state has to do a very clear and amazing closing to overcome this pack of lies just given to the jury.

I think Dalton kind of rubs people the wrong way. I hope the jury doesn't hate him.In hindsight, the defense did an adequate job now to dirty up DJ and friends, making them scapegoats in this fantasy story.

It would be so frightening, immoral and wrong to allow this killer to walk free from this. :mad:
No way does he walk free. At most a hung jury and a retrial. And a retrial would be very different now that the Prosecutor knows this story and can prepare better for it.

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"You don't know who they are but you remember one of them happened to use the name Jack?" Yes.
11:35 AM · May 26, 2021·Twitter Web App

Brown: "You remember the details as you described them here? But you told the officers, specifically Officer Romero, that you blacked out some of the details of what happened to Mollie Tibbetts." "Correct."
11:36 AM · May 26, 2021·Twitter Web App

"Did they just walk in?" Brown asks of the men at CBR's home. "I wouldn't know what to tell you because I was taking a shower."
11:37 AM · May 26, 2021·Twitter Web App

"I did not see any car outside of my trailer," CBR says when asked how the men got there.
11:37 AM · May 26, 2021·Twitter Web App

"You don't know who they are but you remember one of them happened to use the name Jack?" Yes.

So they used their real names while acting as ninjas? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am nervous too. I'm reading comments to some of the articles and social media on the trial and there are people who are buying this story. Most aren't, but it only takes one juror, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegreatdetectiveytyr8585