Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #61 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if they have an explanation for each piece of evidence what is the case? I think there is zero reason for the Morphew girls to ever hear an opinion of someone that LE has interviewed but won’t be allowed at trial because it is hearsay. They are aware of much of the speculation that is already out there I would assume.

The explanation given to the girls for each piece of evidence by BM and his attorney can be whatever it is they want it to be in private. The courtroom strategy is a different thing but the whole point of defense attorneys is to TRY and refute every piece of evidence - regardless of how strong it is. If they didn't have an explanation for each piece of evidence (including how it was collected, credibility of witnesses), I'd say they weren't doing their job.

Also, I'm not really speaking about hearsay, I don't disagree with you about that. I'm speaking of evidence that could be very damning to BM - such as DNA or blood. I don't know if you followed the Gannon Stauch case, but his stepmom tried to "pre-explain" evidence, for example, saying "Gannon cut his foot on some tools in the garage, that's why there is blood there." In BM, I can imagine "Oh, well your mom cut her hand making dinner for me while you girls were away." If the girls were pre-disposed to believe BM, they could be primed to not be objective. In the end though, I don't think it matters because even if the unredacted AA were released tomorrow, I don't think the girls would read it; they would be highly highly discouraged from it. And then over time, they will be "prepared" by the defense for what they will hear in the courtroom or the news and why it's all lies.

In the end, my objection wasn't about the hearsay or evidence or about making the case beyond a reasonable doubt - it was about the long delay being an opportunity for the defense to keep the girls in the dark and firmly in Barry's camp by giving them only the defense's side first. In the courtroom it will be a completely different story, but by then the girls will probably not change their minds about anything presented, no matter how strong the evidence or airtight the witnesses are. But perhaps I'm not giving them enough credit; or I'm giving BM's manipulative skills too much credit. I would love to be wrong.

Maybe the story didn't sound credible because the DM got the facts wrong from the jump, and now he's trying to make sure the actual course of events are told? Total speculation of course, but I'm sure detectives have checked out every word of his story.

Still, if he were making stuff up, wouldn't that have already come out, by way of MG or CC or LS reporting on it? You can make stuff up if it's just you because there's no one to confirm or deny, but once you involved other people, it's pretty easy to expose falsehoods, and I haven't seen anyone suggesting he's not credible.

Well, except BM with his now infamous "9 years in prison... meth head!" accusation.

BBM, do we know this was just an accusation?

If there is information not admissible at trial then perhaps they are not facts…perhaps they are opinions, or are out of context, or hearsay, or easily refuted. I cannot accept given the judges message that everything in that lengthy document was “facts”. In which case we don’t have any need to know except to verify personal opinions or speculation or just because we want to know. I am certainly one who “wanted” to know how in a few short months this went from no case to an arrest warrant but I can live with whatever the courts decide.
But in the short term, the judge's opinion is given weight above all others. Until we know what is in the AA, we cannot even make an individual judgment about whether this judge's concerns are legitimate and truly serve fairly the interests of all. Personally, I'm just not comfortable with that. My point is that a lasting principle is involved and deserves a fairer hearing.
Placement of the statue where the bike was recovered seems to me like a “memorial” of sorts. IIRC it was placed there by the girls & BM. It’s just not something I see being done unless they felt she wasn’t coming back. Also, this is the first I’ve heard of them doing something of this nature. MOO
BINGO!

The daughters can be compelled to testify. they aren't spouses....isn't that correct? They are material witnesses if Barry orchestrated their camping trip...and any subsequent communication between them and Barry. While they are victims, are they not also witnesses?
Sorry if my post wasn’t clear, of course the daughter’s aren’t spouses.
I was merely pointing out that based on other Spousal murder cases I’ve followed, I don’t remember protecting children, in this case it is understood that one is an adult child, the other almost an adult, of the accused murderer of their Spouse, being included as one of the reasons to keep an AA sealed.
Again, I do consider the Morphew daughters to be victims as well as potential witnesses, which I thought I made clear in my post, and in an earlier post today stated that after re-reading the Judge’s decision and more thought and reflection, on this particular point, I believe the Judge is protecting the victims/witnesses per judicial responsibility as outlined in the victim rights act- Crim. P. Rule 55.1 (a), effective May 10, 2021

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

ETA-clarity

Last edited:
The daughters can be compelled to testify. they aren't spouses....isn't that correct? They are material witnesses if Barry orchestrated their camping trip...and any subsequent communication between them and Barry. While they are victims, are they not also witnesses?

They absolutely will be a part of this. They were the ones looking for SM, trying to reach her, asked to call the neighbor etc. They were involved by BM, what a sick thought that is.

BBM, do we know this was just an accusation?

Perhaps it doesn't matter if JP was in prison or why he was there. Prisoners often take the stand in cases: Happened in the FL Teresa Seivers' murder and in the FL Professor Dan Markel case, by example.

I expect the trial transcriptionist to ask JP to slow down bc she can't transcribe as fast as he can talk. That is, if he takes the stand.

Some criminals are more trustworthy than the average Joe or Jane.

I think the DA will prove Barry secreted his wife's body. That in itself will give Barry enough time behind bars that he'll never climb those gorgeous Rockies to hunt again.

Not just that, Watts' mother claimed the life insurance on her son's dead wife since he was the killer and couldn't collect on her.
Apple didn't fall from the tree IMO.

Did Suzanne have life insurance? All those cars, atvs, bikes, trips, swanky haircuts etc, but no life insurance?

Worse than that. The Rzuceks got a payout from the life insurance for the granddaughters. Watts’ parents sued to get it for themselves claiming they were victims. The Rzuceks gave them a cut ($50k after legal fees) because otherwise it would be tied up in court for years and legal fees would eat it all away. The Watts then apparently tried to hire criminal defense attorneys, using Bella and Cece’s insurance money, to do some legal wrangling for the benefit of CW, but the lawyers ultimately refused them because it would be a violation of the Son of Sam law. The apple fell right next to the tree.

Barry can use the money he got from Suzanne for his legal problems because he hasn’t been convicted or pled guilty yet. I don’t know if he had any life insurance on her; if he did they demand for it to be paid back (slayer rule).

It's like some weird catch 22. The victims, the offspring of the accused murderer are so susceptible to harm from even learning how their mother was murdered, that the actual accused murderer is also treated tenderly. I really have to go wash the dishes or something, it just seems absolutely bizarro. ( Lest anyone think I just hunger for titillation of blood and gore, I still haven't read the LS AA.)
Angry cleaning is very cathartic. If you want, and I’m thinking solely of you in my offering, you can clean my spare bedroom so it can actually be used ;)

I’m frustrated too over the AA, we will have to be patient….

Length of AA: my speculation?

Data. Pages and pages of cell phone info, pings, where the phones were when, texts, etc.
GPS from vehicles. All the family vehicles, the dang Bobcat.

Just that information alone could take up pages and pages, imo.

I also think the AA could have been written including every morsel of information LE has, since this is a no body case.

The protection of witnesses is pretty stark. Will he get out on bail?

If the arrest warrant has to be sealed to protect victims and witnesses then should the suspect be allowed out on bond?
Or is the judge just talking about media coverage?

Last edited:
The protection of witnesses is pretty stark. Will he get out on bail?

If the arrest warrant has to be sealed to protect victims and witnesses then should the suspect be allowed out on bond?
Or is the judge just talking about media coverage?
Although the public doesn't have access to the AA yet, BM does. He can read it now. So I don't think the decision to seal the AA is related to BM potentially getting out on bail. JMO.

Yes, I understand it's been a year. But you don't put everything in an AA, and investigations can take a long time. Perhaps it has to do with a lack of evidence regarding the body or blood loss etc. Speculating obviously. JMO.
Yes, if the court is concerned about the length of the affidavit, and a significant amount of information was not relevant to probable cause, then LE must have had a reason to include it.

If there was solid evidence proving Suzanne had died, or linking BM to the body, they wouldn't need all the extra information. Imo

Yes, I understand it's been a year. But you don't put everything in an AA, and investigations can take a long time. Perhaps it has to do with a lack of evidence regarding the body or blood loss etc. Speculating obviously. JMO.
3 - 30 hours worth of transcribed questions and answers involving the person in the cage and FBI, CBI, and CCSO could account for many, many pages. With all the “Let me tell you what happened” I would think 40-50 pages wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibilities. 400 other people questioned in multiple states. And one year’s worth of investigation with 135 search warrants, iirc. Until the AA is released we won’t know & I’m speculating on content. MOO

3 - 30 hours worth of transcribed questions and answers involving the person in the cage and FBI, CBI, and CCSO could account for many, many pages. With all the “Let me tell you what happened” I would think 40-50 pages wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibilities. 400 other people questioned in multiple states. And one year’s worth of investigation with 135 search warrants, iirc. Until the AA is released we won’t know & I’m speculating on content. MOO

There may pages of 'internet searches' and both his and SM phone records. I imagine BM phone records will be very interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get