Still Missing UK - Bernadette Walker, 17, left parent's car, Peterborough, 21 July 2020 *Arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the update and interesting to see change of Judge
In a recent article in Chambers Student, Mrs Justice McGowan was described as "One of the preeminent criminal barristers of her generation, she is among the true elite of judges – female and male – in this country. She took silk in 2001 and nine years later was made a deputy high court judge. In 2013 she became chairman of the Bar Council, the first women to hold that post since 1998. Since 2014 McGowan has been a full-time high court judge."

Don't get too excited about tomorrow ,the actual trial might not start until Friday,unless they speed through jury selection.

I would expect there to be an opportunity to change pleas today, wouldn’t there? I’m sure ScW’s team will have been busy playing out the implications of SaW’s partial guilty pleas, and I wonder how that has impacted his line of defence. Until now, he appears to have been steadfastly “not guilty” and “no comment”…

Last edited:
Is the live blog working? I see no updates.

Yes.

First day of trial
Good morning, and welcome to CambridgeshireLive coverage of the first day of the Bernadette Walker murder trial.

Reporters Harry Gold and Freddie Lynne will be covering this case today. Harry is at Cambridge Crown Court today and will be relaying the proceedings back to Freddie who will be writing the posts and updates here.

Today, the jury will be sworn in, which will likely take up most of the morning. The judge must assess that each jury member does not know either the victim or defendents or have a relation to the case. They must also make sure that jury members do not already have an opinion on the case, before each must be sworn in.

Once that is finished the prosecution will make its opening case against the defendents.

This is an active trial being heard in front of a jury, so please do be cautious about making public comments such as discussing if defendents are guility or not. This could be contempt of court and would cause a mistrial. There are also fines and even prison time for those found in contempt of court.

You can get more infomation about why these regualtions are in place on the govenment website here.

We'll have updates on everything that happens at Cambridge Crown Court this morning right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa