GUILTY OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #62

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned a few posts back, the defense attorneys are supposed to provide the best defense they possibly can. Maybe this is GW4 attorney's method of doing so. Kind of like "go big or go home", I guess. Give it a shot, maybe something beneficial will come out of it. If not, at least he tried.

I did an online search of "subpoena co-defendant's attorney in murder case". Just a quick skim of the results IMO showed that this situation does happen when there are co-defendants and at least one takes a plea deal. IMO, when the co-defendant's attorney takes the stand, they will answer the general questions that are of the least importance. But, when they are asked specific questions about what they were told by their client, they state it's attorney-client privilege and don't answer. Of the few cases I looked at, the judge didn't force the attorney to answer. JMO

Thanks for looking into that tactic. It doesn't sound as though anything useful comes from this exercise, but perhaps its just going through the motions of objecting to the other party's plea deal. Just going on record.

It's also possible GW4's attorney would attempt some trick if he gets the attorney on the stand in a public court room hearing. He might play to the potential jury pool by publicly implying Jake's attorney is dishonest and that the plea agreement and Jake's testimony are false.

GW4's attorney may think he is doing his duty in fully representing his client. He may also want a "win" so badly that he's willing to do anything to see that his client is acquitted and released from jail, free to take revenge against anyone he feels harmed him.

Thanks for looking into that tactic. It doesn't sound as though anything useful comes from this exercise, but perhaps its just going through the motions of objecting to the other party's plea deal. Just going on record.

It's also possible GW4's attorney would attempt some trick if he gets the attorney on the stand in a public court room hearing. He might play to the potential jury pool by publicly implying Jake's attorney is dishonest and that the plea agreement and Jake's testimony are false.

GW4's attorney may think he is doing his duty in fully representing his client. He may also want a "win" so badly that he's willing to do anything to see that his client is acquitted and released from jail, free to take revenge against anyone he feels harmed him.

BBM

Absolutley! I do agree this is the defence attorneys only goal and it is what they are paid to do, win at any cost and do everything they can to make sure the client walks free. It does not matter to the attorney if they know for fact their client is guilty.

ITA, the W3 now have limited options.

1) Discredit JW's statements tied to his plea deal. I don't think this will happen as I'm sure there is a LOT of evidence that can substantiate JW's statements.

and if the attorneys become desperate....

2) Discredit and blame one or both of the other two defendants.

3) Try to question and discredit the integrity of LE evidence and the LE that collected the evidence.

4) In any case, if the W3 go to trial, they no longer have the threat of the DP. Also, by going to trial, the W3 will also have the option of appeal.
IMO, appeal not based on case facts, but on legal technicalities.

JMO, MOO

Last edited:
ITA, the W3 now have limited options.

1) Discredit JW's statements tied to his plea deal. I don't think this will happen as I'm sure there is a LOT of evidence that can substantiate JW's statements.

and if the attorneys become desperate....

2) Discredit and blame one or both of the other two defendants.

3) Try to question and discredit the integrity of LE evidence and the LE that collected the evidence.

4) In any case, if the W3 go to trial, they no longer have the threat of the DP. Also, by going to trial, the W3 will also have the option of appeal.
IMO, appeal not based on case facts, but on legal technicalities.

JMO, MOO

So we may see trials , wow. I actually am not surprised!

Red herrings, character assassinations and skulduggerys are an everyday occurrence across American courtrooms. They rarely work. IMO

The W3s are desperate and grasping at straws to save their bacon. Good luck! They'll never be able to circumvent JWs plea and the evidence he has provided. Imo

Red herrings, character assassinations and skulduggerys are an everyday occurrence across American courtrooms. They rarely work. IMO

The W3s are desperate and grasping at straws to save their bacon. Good luck! They'll never be able to circumvent JWs plea and the evidence he has provided. Imo

The judge can still revoke the terms of the plea agreement, meaning the DP would be back on the table.

In his last hearing, Jake and his attorneys made clear the reason for the agreement was to save the Rhodens, Manleys, Gilleys and others the pain and stress of having to sit through 4 trials. They've been through enough already.

Trials aren't for public entertainment. They shouldn't be for the purpose of some misguided attempt to free the Wagners as revenge against the victims. Pike County doesn't need to hold their own version of the OJ Simpson murder trial. The victims' families deserve some peace and justice for their loved ones.

A good, fair plea deal has been negotiated on behalf of some brutal obsessed killers who don't really deserve it. They should count their blessings and move on.

I agree 100%, but it sure looks good for a defense attorney to try every angle that's possible for a complete and thorough defense. The defense attorney may know it won't make a difference but it's all recorded in the news coverage. Down the road... other people needing a defense attorney may remember the efforts he made... he tried everything and left nothing out. So, it can be good for building a name for one's self and so it can be good for business, too, and gaining the respect of his fellow attorneys; both defense and prosecuting. This attorney is defending a W so, especially in the state of Ohio, he already has a pretty big audience.
ETA: Avoiding appeals. I'm sure when all is said and done, nobody wants this to have to go back time and again to the court for appeals filed for 4 possible candidates either.

Last edited:
Except for all the irrefutable evidence showing the others were involved, in planning, execution and cover-up.

The Wags may want to reconsider, if they're all thinking of pushing for a trial. There are still many ways their punishment can be made more difficult. As others have pointed out, taking a plea deal might allow them to have visits with family in the future, including conjugal visits.

<modsnip>

Shocking to realize that the Rhoden Family Massacre was a far worse crime than the Tate-LaBianca murders. The Wagners are worse than the Manson Family.

In my opinion, FAR worse. The Manson Family was mostly comprised of a bunch of emotionally damaged kids or very young adults, easy pickins for an older very emotionally damaged former kid himself. Add in the drugs... Had they selected less high profile victims, imo, all but the ringleader, now deceased, would have been paroled by now. AMOO

Here, you've got relatively functional adults, not hopped up on seriously mind altering drugs, who planned and executed the murders in one night, and were then going to go on and continue to live their relatively functional adult lives.

I agree 100%, but it sure looks good for a defense attorney to try every angle that's possible for a complete and thorough defense. The defense attorney may know it won't make a difference but it's all recorded in the news coverage. Down the road... other people needing a defense attorney may remember the efforts he made... he tried everything and left nothing out. So, it can be good for building a name for one's self and so it can be good for business, too, and gaining the respect of his fellow attorneys; both defense and prosecuting. This attorney is defending a W so, especially in the state of Ohio, he already has a pretty big audience.
ETA: Avoiding appeals. I'm sure when all is said and done, nobody wants this to have to go back time and again to the court for appeals filed for 4 possible candidates either.

If the 4 Wags sign a plea agreement, there won't be any appeals.

I can't imagine any defense attorney can successfully burnish his reputation by thumbing his nose at the Ohio justice system, the governor and the taxpayers of Ohio just to try to get off a bunch of lowlife murderers who committed one of the most horrific murders in Ohio history. That said, every murderer facing the DP with a mountain of evidence against him/her will sure be calling them up. I hear those clients don't have much money. I guess the Wagner defense attorneys would be doing it for free. True, they would be real heroes to the killers, though.

ETA
I doubt the Ohio AG's office will be choosing them to handle any future DP cases for the state, so that taxpayer funded gravy train will end.

Then again, they are probably hoping to cash in on book and movie deals, like OJ Simpson's "dream team" did.

Last edited:
Thank you. I thought I was the only one who felt that emotionally invested in this case. Relieved to hear I'm not alone. Not really sure what it was about this case particular. For a time thinking it potentially would never be solved and now the hope that with the plea the families finally have closure. Following for so long makes that connection to those families much stronger. Still a little stunned honestly and to finally fit the last pieces of this crazy puzzle together. We all have thoughts on why JW decided but self preservation is at the heart of it. JMO
I’m not sure it’s just self preservation. I cannot imagine he wants to see his family get the death penalty for him. 5 years they’ve been in jail. A long and hard 5 years. Maybe he is simply tired, maybe he has accepted his fate and the fact they are not getting out so rather than see them all sentenced to death, he decided everyone was entitled to peace. Including the victims families. Whatever the reason I’m grateful for the closure. It was time for the victims to have some peace

What in the world could he testify to that isn't privileged?!

The defense attorneys for GW4 don't want JW's attorney to testify about anything. They just want to put him on the stand in order to make him look bad for making the plea deal with the state. They know he can't testify to any privileged information.

JMO, GW4's attorneys are desperate. They're hoping to cash in on a show trial and JW's attorney is messing with that plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard